005

Lights Off

        Jinwoo set some cold beers on the kitchen counter along with ciders and bottles of soju. He walked to the cupboards and pulled out sleeves of plastic cups and placed them on the counter as well. He checked his phone to see if anyone had texted him yet. No one did.

        He then had to do the one thing he dreaded the most, go into Eunwoo's room.

        He first knocked, then poked his head in. "Hey bud."

        Eunwoo was laying face first into his pillow with earbuds in.

        Jinwoo tiptoed inside, trying to not step on the stray clothing Eunwoo had left on the floor. He tapped Eunwoo on the back. "Eunwoo?"

        Eunwoo groaned and pulled out his earbuds.

        "People are going to be here soon. Don't you want to change?" Jinwoo asked him.

        "I told you, I'm just staying in my room," Eunwoo replied.

        "Oh come on, don't be like that. You're only going to feel worse if you stay cooped up inside your mess of a room any longer."

        "Just give me one more week to be sad," Eunwoo said.

        "No," Jinwoo replied as he smacked the back of Eunwoo's head. Eunwoo jolted up in pain.

        "What the hell was that?" Eunwoo asked.

        "Well at least that got you up. Now seriously, you have to get dressed. I'm not letting you stay inside your room anymore. It's been…" Jinwoo started counting in his head how many days it had been since Eunwoo's split with Miran. "It's been nine days already. You need to get a grip."

        Eunwoo sighed, knowing that Jinwoo was right. "Alright."

        Jinwoo smiled and gave Eunwoo a pat on the back. "There we go." He walked out of his room, happy with the result. It was just in time for a text message to arrive, meaning that his first guests were here.

        In just an hour, their apartment was buzzing with people. Some were from Eunwoo and Jinwoo's college days, some were close coworkers of theirs, and then some were friends of friends, complete strangers to Jinwoo and Eunwoo. Truthfully, Jinwoo threw the party hoping to get Eunwoo to forget about Miran. So Jinwoo was happy with the strangers, hoping that Eunwoo could meet someone new. In spite of this, Eunwoo was spending the majority of his time sitting on the couch, sipping a beer.

        Jinwoo was growing frustrated with Eunwoo's lack of effort at the party and whispered into the ear of one of the girls beside him. She nodded in agreement and they both walked towards Eunwoo.

        "Hey Eunwoo," Jinwoo said. "Have you met Yejin before?"

        The girl waved.

        "She was in our graduating year but I don't know if you remember her," Jinwoo introduced.

        Eunwoo stopped himself from rolling his eyes at Jinwoo's blatant attempt to set him up with someone. "No, I don't think we've met before."

        "I've always wanted to introduce myself but never got the chance," she admitted, taking a seat beside him on the couch.

        Jinwoo tried to find an excuse to leave them alone. "I have to refill the cups. You two have fun."

        "You're a lot less talkative than I thought you would be," she said.

        Eunwoo was worried he was coming off as rude and tried to be a bit more pleasant. "It's been sort of a tough week for me."

        "Oh really? Tell me about it; people say I give really good advice," she said, taking a drink from her plastic cup.

        Eunwoo wondered if he should open up about it to a stranger and, perhaps because he was slightly tipsy, decided to. "Well…"

        After around ten minutes of explaining the story, he finally concluded.

        "...and then I told her good night and left her apartment. We haven't talked sense."

        Yejin nodded along the entire story, carefully listening. "Wow, that must've been hard for you. But, I really think you did the right thing."

        "Really?"

        "Oh definitely. She clearly didn't have feelings for you and was leading you on the entire time," Yejin told him.

        Eunwoo's heart stung. She clearly didn't have feelings for you.

        "I guess so," he said. He took the last sip of his beer.

        Yejin was wondering if she was too harsh with her statement. "My last break up was really hard too, but honestly I'm happier than ever. I'm just so excited to meet someone...new."

        Eunwoo didn't hear her, his mind was elsewhere. 

        She sighed. "Drinking makes me feel so sleepy." 

        Yejin gradually lowered her head till it was gently placed on Eunwoo's shoulder.

        Eunwoo's body stiffened as she made contact. He wanted to leave, but paused as the feeling of discomfort was slowly being replaced by the familiar feeling of affection. He hadn't felt this way since his night with Miran and missed it. He closed his eyes and, for a moment, pretended that it was Miran's head on his shoulder instead.