003

Lights Off

        Three days had passed since Miran's argument with Eunwoo. She had been avoiding thinking about it by throwing herself into her work, a regular occurrence for her.

        Miran was sitting across her friend, Seulgi, as they both were finishing up a plate of food at a restaurant. The latter awkwardly played with the few pieces of rice on her plate as she tried to think of a way to ask about Eunwoo. The waiter checked in on them before she could ask. He cleared their plates and asked if they wanted any more beverages or dessert.

        "Actually, just the che-"

        "Can we get two glasses of your best white wine?" Seulgi asked, interrupting Miran who was ready to leave.

        The waiter looked at Miran for confirmation on the order.

        "Yes, that would be great," Miran agreed.

        "Of course," he responded.

        "Everything okay?" Miran asked.

        Seulgi nodded, realizing this was the best time as ever to ask. "So...are we going to talk about it?"

        Miran reached for her glass of water, the cold surface calmed her. "Talk about what?"

        "You and Eunwoo?"

        Miran cringed at his name. Despite all the good memories, all the good moments, when she heard his name she could only think about how they ended. She smiled at the sadness of it all. All her memories were now tainted with the memory of him saying goodnight to her one last time.

        "What more is there to talk about?" Miran asked. Miran had phoned Seulgi the day after her and Eunwoo's fight to tell her about their split. She assumed the topic was over with.

        The waiter returned with their glasses of wine.

        "Are you still doing okay?" Seulgi asked her. Throughout their years of friendship, Seulgi was well aware of Miran's tendencies to keep her emotions bottled up.

        "I don't really have a choice to not be okay with it," Miran said, a sad tone following her words. She picked up the glass of wine and watched the liquids sway smoothly as she swirled the glass.

        "From what you told me, it seems like you do," Seulgi said. "It sounds like he's just waiting for you to tell him what he wants to hear."

        Miran took a long sip from her glass. "You know I can't do that, we'd both be miserable. He wants a girlfriend and I don't want to be one."

        "Miran, this isn't our college years anymore. Do you just want to just keep playing around like this?"

        Miran laughed. "You make it sound like being twenty-three is a death sentence."

        "You know what I mean," Seulgi sighed.

        "I know. But really, I'll be okay," Miran said, a smile on her face as she took another sip of wine.

        Seulgi smiled, but knew that Miran was lying to her. "I just wish I got to meet the guy once. He sounded really sweet."

        Miran laughed, but a feeling of shame formed in her stomach. She had never once introduced a guy she was with to any of her friends. She began to wonder if Seulgi was upset with that.

        "Well, you know me," Miran said.

        Seulgi nodded. "Cheers to my best friend, Kim Miran, with huge commitment issues."

        The two of them laughed as they clinked their glasses together.

        "Okay, last question and I swear I'll stop asking about him forever," Seulgi said. "Just tell me why you don't want to date him."

        "I just don't want to get so serious."

        Seulgi groaned. "Okay, but why. I want a real reason, none of this vague crap."

        Miran sat back in her chair, thinking about the question. "I guess...I just don't want to deal with the fallout of breaking up. It's just so much worse when you're actually dating rather than just hooking up."

        "So you're saying, you don't want to date him because you know for a fact that you will break up?" Seulgi was confirming.

        "Obviously I don't know that we'll break up but the chances are basically ninety-nine percent. We're so young and so many things can go wrong." Miran explained.

        "But what if you didn't break up?" Seulgi asked. "What if you two ended up staying together and getting married and all that sappy stuff."

        Miran shrugged. "Like I said, the chance of that happening is close to zero."

        "I don't think so," Seulgi disagreed. "From what you told me, he seems like a pretty stand up guy."

        "He could be the best boyfriend ever, but what if I'm the problem? I'm just as capable as him to ruin the relationship."

        Seulgi paused. "This is about Sehun, isn't it."

        "I knew you were going to bring him up," Miran sighed.  "Let's not bring him into this, please."

        "Just admit it," Seulgi taunted.

        "I'd never give you the satisfaction," Miran said, a smile on her face.

        "Alright but don't blame me when you're sixty years old and still single," Seulgi said, giving up on the conversation.

        Miran drank the last few drops of her wine. "I think I'd still be happy."