We're Just Friends

Blurred Lines [RE-UPLOAD]

Ever since the day they had met everyone in their friendship group had told Doyeon and Yoojung that they looked like they would make a great couple. As their friendship progressed their friends began to assume they were dating – though they would never dare ask, even people who didn’t know the pair assumed that they were dating. Hell, even their parents had suspicions.

Neither Doyeon nor Yoojung understood why people would assume such things. After all they were just close friends who often shared affection with one another, like they enjoyed hugging one another, holding each other’s hand and calling each other cute nicknames but that’s normal. Right? Just because they were always together – Hell, they were practically joined at the hip, and they’d always choose each other during projects that required them to be in a pair... That didn’t mean that they were dating.

Of course, Doyeon nor Yoojung were offended at the rumours. They actually found them pretty amusing, because they made them wonder if anyone else in their school had a friendship like theirs. The pair once had a fleeting thought of dating each other but in the end they decided that it would be stupid because if they had a bad break up there would be year’s worth of friendship down the drain. Neither of them wanted that. Since then neither of them had had any other thoughts of dating the other, not once.

That was until...

“There’s my favourite couple!” Somi grinned as she rushed over towards Doyeon and Yoojung.

It was lunch time, and they were all sat on their usual bench which was next to a big tree in the school’s field. The weather was warm, and they were all wearing cool clothes... Except for Yoojung who had decided to put a big winter coat on, because it “looked cold in the morning.”

“We’re not a couple!” Doyeon denied before laughing along with Yoojung. The pair laughed whenever their friends called them their ‘favourite couple’ or just a couple in general; to them they were just friends.

“Sure, sure.” Somi rolled her eyes and sat opposite Yoojung. “Hey, Yoojung. Why on Earth are you wearing that big coat?”

“It looked cold this morning,” Yoojung groaned.

“Don’t judge a book by it’s cover,” Jieqiong laughed as she sat down next to Somi.

“Ugh, I know.” Yoojung held her head in her hands.

“You know, Yoojung, you can just take off the coat. You know that right?” Jieqiong looked at Yoojung who just rolled her eyes.

“I know, but there’s nowhere to put it. I don’t want to put it on the floor because it will get dirty,” Yoojung sighed.

“We could try putting it in my bag?” Doyeon offered. “You’re coming back to my house after school anyway so you might as well.”

“But then you’d be carrying my big heavy coat around. That isn’t fair on you,” Yoojung said as she took a sip of her water.

“I don’t mind, as long as you’re not too hot.” Doyeon smiled.

“That’s so cute!” Somi practically yelled as she clapped her hands.

“See, you say and do things like this and then wonder why everyone assumes you’re a couple.” Jieqiong giggled.

Doyeon and Yoojung looked at each other dumbfounded. They were both confused because to them Doyeon had just simply offered to help Yoojung out. They turned and looked back at their friends who were still giggling and talking amongst themselves.

“Anyway, Yoojung. Do you want me to take your coat?” Doyeon asked again.

“Yes please, if you’re sure you don’t mind.” Yoojung smiled.

“Of course not. I wouldn’t have offered if I minded, would I?” Doyeon smiled back at Yoojung.

“Thank you, Doyeon. I really do appreciate it,” Yoojung said as she took off her coat and passed it to Doyeon who rolled it up and somehow managed to shove it in her bag.

“I wish I had a girlfriend like Doyeon,” Somi smirked. “Someone who’d carry my big heavy coat around for me.”

“We’re just friends!” Yoojung defended.

“I’m just helping a friend out,” Doyeon shrugged. “I’d do it for any of you guys too, if you asked. Only you two are more sensible when it comes to checking the weather.” She laughed.

“Hey!” Yoojung playfully smacked Doyeon’s shoulder. “It’s not my fault I woke up late and didn’t have time to check my weather app!” Yoojung pouted.

“Ah, you’re so cute when you pout.” Doyeon stuck her tongue out and ruffled Yoojung’s hair.

“God, you guys are so gross!” Jieqiong laughed and Somi pretended to bawk.

“We need to think of a ship name for you both,” Somi declared.

“I’m just complimenting my friend though?” Doyeon looked at Somi and Jieqiong confused. “And it’s not like I’m lying either, she does look cute when she pouts.”

“You know what we’re talking about,” Jieqiong smirked.

“Hey! I’ve got an idea for a ship name!” Somi grinned excitedly.

“Oh no,” Doyeon and Yoojung looked at each other.

“How about Dodaeng?” Somi clapped her hands. “It’s perfect. The Do from Doyeon and Daeng from Yoojung’s nickname Yoodaeng.”

“That’s perfect!” Jieqiong grinned. “Good thinking, Somi.”

“We’re not a couple though, and we don’t need to be shipped. We’re just friends!” Yoojung huffed.

“Just friends my ,” Jieqiong smirked. “We see the way you two look at each other.”

Doyeon and Yoojung blinked. “The way we look at each other?”

“Yeah,” Somi chimed in. “You two look at each other the way people in love look at each other!” She giggled.

Doyeon and Yoojung shook their heads and giggled along. It didn’t necessarily annoy them that their friends had decided to ship them, but it did frustrate them that they wouldn’t accept the fact that they were just friends and nothing would ever happen between them.

“Honestly, why don’t you two just date already?!” Jieqiong exclaimed. “You’d be the cutest, most adorable, perfect couple in the whole wide world!”

“We don’t think the world could handle the cuteness,” Doyeon laughed.

Yoojung was quiet for a moment processing what Doyeon had just said. Of course she knew that Doyeon was joking, but she hadn’t expected her to say that. She’d expected her to just deny it like she always did. Not wanting to draw attention to herself she added a “yeah, we’d probably cause mass destruction with our cuteness.” Which just caused everyone to laugh even more.

“Well, you two seem pretty cocky for people who are just friends.” Jieqiong smirked.

“We really are just friends!” Doyeon and Yoojung exclaimed.

“Alright, alright whatever you say.” Somi grinned.

Before Doyeon and Yoojung could defend themselves any more, they heard the bell signalling that it was time to go to class.