Chapter 2

Of Flowers and Guns

Summer Before the Start of the Semester

“What? Uncle Yunho cut you off?” the shocked face of Taeyong, his boyfriend, who was watching him pack his bags to prepare for moving out of the Jung Mansion.

Jaehyun sighed. “That’s pretty much it, actually.”

Johnny, one of his closest friends and teammates, raised his brow as he was lounging just beside his suitcase. “What happened to your talk with your Dad, actually?”

“Just as I told you earlier, we fought, I pushed him over the edge, and the next thing you know, he’s declared he’s cutting me off except for paying for my tuition.” he stated. “I’ll be transferring out of NCT College and to Seoul University starting this coming semester on a scholarship like they initially offered me. Good thing is, I have enough credits to be considered a third year and some of the classes for this semester I've already taken. There’s no worry about that.”

“So you said you want to live throughout your school life without his overprotective security, and you told him that you also would like to live independently.” Yuta, who was sitting on his beanbag chair with Taeyong, started guessing. “And I can tell that Uncle Yunho didn’t want that, and you insisted until you said something you shouldn’t, and then, here you are.”

Jaehyun and the others stared at him. “That was scary. How could you tell?” Jaehyun asked.

“Wait, so that really happened?” Yuta asked, shocked that he was on the mark.

Jaehyun stopped his packing and flopped on his bed. “I told him I wanted to remove my security and wanted to live a normal life as a teenager. Dad said no, and I accused him of being overprotective and to just let me live my life.” he explained. “His temper was something else that day for some reason, so he declared that if I really wanted to, then I should live as a common person without any support.” he told them. “I’ll be leaving in two days, and Dad is already on a plane to Japan to meet up with business partners.”

“Why do you have to transfer though?” Taeyong wondered.

“Because Seoul University offered me a scholarship for my grades. If I want to win this, I’ll spite him by not needing his money to pay for my tuition fees. I’ll work something out with my remaining savings for my apartment and living expenses. I’ll also find a part-time job that is near the place.”

He didn’t tell them that Changmin was mostly the one who will take care of things without Yunho noticing. If there was something that Yunho never monitored, it was how Changmin spent his own money. The level of trust that he gives his uncle is quite worrisome sometimes, but Changmin had told him that it was him who should be worried about Yunho. If he wasn’t his childhood friend, they wouldn’t have this kind of trust.

“What did Changmin-sshi say about this?” Johnny wondered.

Standing up with a groan, he resumed to take out his folded clothes in his closet to his suitcase. “He couldn’t say anything since it was a father-son argument, but I can tell that he’s on my side.” he replied. “The fact of the matter is, you’ll all get to be rid of my face for the next semester or until graduation, because I am not going to admit defeat.”

“This is going to be something that both of you will regret, I can tell.” Taeyong told him.

Closing his suitcase and locking it, Jaehyun huffed. “I’ll take that as a challenge.”

True to his words, Jaehyun managed to settle into his apartment and arranged his transfer papers a month before the semester. Along the way, as he had planned, he met Eunwoo, who lives just a floor below him, who has the same major as him.

And two months into the semester, when he asked if there was somewhere he could do a part-time job, Eunwoo had eagerly told him that his workplace is always looking for part-timers.

At that time, Jaehyun thought that things were progressing smoothly.

But for how long?

Present Time

“Thank you for your patronage, Mr. Song.” Jaehyun said with a smile as he brought out the bouquet of red and white roses from the back of the shop, where it had been sitting for less than five hours in the fridge after he did it before the start of his shift.

The man, wearing a three-piece suit smiled brightly at the beautiful ensemble of red and white roses carefully bundled up with pink and white paper accompanied by a pink silk ribbon. “Beautiful as always. Thank you very much, Jaehyun-sshi.”

Jaehyun smiled and bowed, “We are happy to cater to your needs. Happy Wedding Anniversary.” he bid the man.

“Bless you young man. Thank you again.”

And with that, Mr. Song departed, happy and content as he went into his car to deliver his gift to his waiting wife in one of the restaurants a few blocks away from where the flower shop sat.

Four months has passed since the beginning of the first semester of his third year and two months since he started in Moldir Florals, and Jaehyun had learned the ropes of being a part-timer fast. It was now the month of November, which means that walk-in clients are scarce until the start of the holiday season. His shift would start an hour after his last class every Monday, Wednesday and Friday, and he had the weekend off unless there was an event that needed extra hands.

Since the fight with his Dad, he had not heard anything on their side. Jaehyun was technically on his own at this point, even telling his friends not to come over so often as they have thier own university to go to, which is on the other side of Seoul.

Since the beginning of his college life, he had been living in the dorms with his team scattered around his former school in order for them to experience a semblance of normalcy outside of the mafia. His Dad had made it a point that Jaehyun deserved to experience life as a normal teenager before he completely grows into the role he was being prepared for, except for the fact that security is tight.

If Jaehyun was the one to be asked, it was as if his Dad was delaying his succession as much as possible for him to enjoy his youth as his overprotective senses will allow, something that he never got to do since he had to take over the family business when his grandfather had died in action when he was just twenty.

That was until last summer, and now, he was just Jung Jaehyun, the boy who was cut off by his Dad by pushing all his buttons to get what he needed: having everything pulled from him until he comes back to his Dad to admit defeat.

Well. Joke’s on him.

His freedom itself gave him the time he needed to be a student, a part-timer right under his Appa’s nose, and to have time for himself, except for the fact that he noticed that the last of Changmin’s generous ‘moving gift money’ was barely being touched as he was also earning his salary at the shop that was enough for his basic daily living expenses. His tuition was taken care of by his scholarship too.

Speaking of his friends, they were also curious as to what has been happening to Jaehyun and were pestering him to meet up a week after school started, and Jaehyun was always quick to set up a date to meet them and kept his part-time job a secret so that they wouldn’t dare follow him there. If all else fails in making sure they don’t pester him much, one text from Changmin will settle their worries about him being on his own. Changmin had always been the one who was so secretive and yet his words were as trusted as his Dad’s simply because he is the second-in-command, and nothing that he does would ever be used to betray the family.

Other than a few pouts and grumbles of not being able to spend more time with him (Taeyong), Changmin and Jaehyun were prepared for the excuses that may come their way.

Jaehyun was taken out of his thoughts when he heard the door to the flower arrangement class open, and turned to see his little brother Moonbin who had peeked at him from the presentation rooms where the rest were just wrapping up their flower arrangement lessons.

“Already sent out Mr. Song?” he asked.

Jaehyun nodded. “He seems happy that he can please Mrs. Song for their anniversary, so I also put in a freebie tiger lily bracelet she loved as said by Boss JJ.” he told him.

“We’re almost done with the classes, so you can put in the closed sign and once we finish and we can all take a break.” Moonbin told him.

“Okay.” Jaehyun nodded and Moonbin went back to the class as they finished up for the day.

If there was one unique thing about working at the flower shop, it was that every four in the afternoon, Jaejoong would close the shop for an hour for their joint breaks. If there were flower arrangement classes, it would be after those.

Moonbin explained that it was a way for all of them to bond and relax, as sometimes, working at a flower shop such as theirs is tiring, especially if your clientele are very demanding in their requests and orders.

Nodding at Moonbin’s instructions, he immediately put up the ‘CLOSED’ sign and proceeded to review today’s walk-in and pre-orders. A few minutes passed before a flurry of men and women started filing out of the room they use as the classroom. Jaehyun greeted them as they left the shop with happy faces and their self-made wreaths, the activity of the day.

When every student was gone, it was Sanha who locked the door and all of them proceeded to the room as well. When Jaehyun went inside, the room was already devoid of any stray cut stem and petals, and on the table were snacks that Eunwoo had laid out. The rest were already sitting down.

At the head of the table was Jaejoong whose eyes brightened at the sight of him.

Jaehyun could really admit that he always liked it when his Appa looks at him with affection, but was a bit disappointed that he only views him as one of his part-timers. He would be honest to admit that he was a bit jealous of Moonbin when the two of them interact during working hours, and how he would just casually pinch him on the cheeks, specifically near his dimples when he was being a smartass.

Jaehyun was definitely jealous, but he has an appearance to keep up so he normally keeps it to himself. Changmin didn’t teach him day and night to keep his emotions in check for him to crumble on his cover like this.

Rocky motioned him to sit beside him as he waved a pint of matcha ice cream. “Here’s the ice cream I promised for helping me out with Mrs. Shin’s bouquet.”

Jaehyun’s eyes brightened at the sight of his payment and took it gladly as he sat down with the rest of them. “Thank you.” Jaehyun said as he shoved a large scoop of ice cream into his mouth.

“You’re doing really well on your flower arrangements, Jaehyun. You learn fast.” Jaejoong complimented.

“That’s thanks to Moonbin and the others. I’m really grateful to have done such a big bouquet.” Jaehyun said. “Though I don’t think I have seen that kind of a large bouquet that can rival a standing spray…”

“Mrs. Shin is too extravagant in her demands since the flowers are for the baby shower of her daughter-in-law and there is a mother-in-law versus the mother battle about it.” Eunwoo said.

“How did you know?” MJ wondered.

“Simple. I made the rival bouquet. The mother, Mrs. Ahn, was too chatty in a good way.” Eunwoo said with pride.

Jaejoong laughed at the thought. “I don’t think the receiver will pay much attention to the flowers, considering that she’s dealing with a baby in her that messes up her senses ninety-percent of the time.”

Moonbin winced at a memory. “Ugh. I don’t want to see hormonal pregnant women like my aunts anymore…”

“Yah, your aunts are nice people.” JinJin told him.

“Try saying that again when you’ve seen them pregnant.” Moonbin shot back.

“Aunts?” Jaehyun asked. This was the first time he was hearing that his Appa was not an only child.

MJ was the one who answered, “Boss JJ is the youngest of nine siblings and the only man.”

What?

No one told him that, not even his Uncle Changmin, and he gives the most accurate information.

“That’s...a lot.” Jaehyun commented.

Jaejoong chuckled, “Believe me, I know.” Jaejoong told him. “But it was nice growing up with them. You guys may not know this, but they’re the best protectors I could ever have. In all ways.”

“What about you Jaehyun? Do you have any siblings?” MJ asked him.

Jaehyun almost felt himself choke on his favorite ice cream when it was asked, but he proceeded to tell his planned backstory.

“I have a little brother, but I hadn’t seen him for years since my parents divorced.” he explained. “His and his kid, basically.”

“And your dad didn’t remarry?” Rocky wondered.

Jaehyun shrugged. “Many tried to set him up with various people, but no one could really beat my other dad. Besides, if he really is still in love with him, then who am I to pressure him in a marriage that will end in him feeling worse than what he is feeling right now?” he told them.

Truth be told, there have been many of their allies who had tried to set up their children on his dad soon after the divorce in hopes of making powerful and permanent connections, but Yunho was quick to kill their hopes. The more persistent ones were dealt with by Changmin permanently to make sure that they don’t come back again.

MJ whistled. “Your other dad must be one of a kind if no one can beat him in his heart.”

Jaehyun couldn’t help but smile fondly. “Yeah, he is.”

Jaejoong looked at the young man who was smiling at the memory. All of a sudden, he had a brief flash of a young boy with the same dimples that he had to shake himself awake.

He was about to say something else when someone knocked on the door to the store despite the sign. They were startled as it was not something that happens all the time.

“Now I wonder who could that be?” Jaejoong wondered.

Getting up but motioning the boys to just continue on with their snacks, Jaejoong went out to the counter to see who was knocking during break hour. For safety purposes, he left the door open so that the boys could hear what was being discussed outside.

“Boa? What are you doing here at this hour?” they heard Jaejoong say.

Jaehyun froze. Boa. Kwon Boa. His godmother and someone who would recognize him at a drop of a hat once she sees him.

, he didn’t anticipate that his godmother would still be in touch with both parties, but it was understandable as she was a protected outsider and a good friend of their parents. Not to mention that she was the reason why they met in the first place. If she sees a hair of him, this will all be over.

“Jaejoong-ah! You’ve got to help me!” she whined desperately. “My bride is driving me crazy and I want to kill her!”

“Whoa, whoa, Boa.” they heard Jaejoong say as he tried to calm her down. “You’re a wedding planner, not a bride serial killer. What happened?”

“THE ING BRIDE HAPPENED!”

All of them in the other room flinched at her loud voice.

“A bit more specific please?” Jaejoong asked.

“She hired a friend of hers to handle the flowers, but two weeks ago, they had a falling out and now there are no flowers for her wedding which is in five ing days and she just casually told me to take care of it just today!” she explained. “Like it’s that easy to find a florist who will be able to provide her long list of required flowers, including her wedding bouquet for the ceremony and the reception in such a short amount of time!”

“Oh dear…” Jaejoong whispered.

“Oh .” the other part-timers groaned when they heard, which Jaehyun could understand. Most florists will require at least three months before the wedding to make the needed preparations for a big wedding. For on-demand florists, it would require longer.

“I don’t like the sound of your groans.” Jaehyun told them.

Moonbin sighed. “You won’t like what will happen next either…”

They heard Jaejoong speak again, “And what do you want me to do with that?”

“Help me, please! I don’t know which florist to turn to anymore!” Boa pleaded. “Please Joongie?”

“Boa, five days? That’s asking for a miracle.”

“I have a screenshot of my text with the bride that she will pay any extra fees just to get the flowers we need.”

Another sigh from Jaejoong was heard. “Alright. Do you have the list of orders?”

There was a rustle of a bag and paper. “Here. She emailed this to my secretary before she told me.”

“Oh dear. This is a lot to get.” Jaejoong said with a sigh. “Well, I’ll send you the contract and invoice within the day for the orders and additional fees for last-minute preparations that will normally take a few weeks to prepare for. That would include the additional pay for my regular staff back at the Greenhouse who will be taking care of most of the orders as we are currently low on inventory here. I would also need to pay my part-timers extra for this inconvenience.”

A collective groan of frustration hummed over the part-timers, and still, Jaehyun was still a bit lost.

They heard Boa groan, mentally calculating how much Jaejoong’s services cost. “I’ll agree to anything if it means it will end up being splendid. She can about the bill right after her honeymoon.” she replied. “Ugh. I need to go. At least my next appointment is a much agreeable bride. Send everything I need to fill out and I’ll give it.”

“Alright. Take care.” Jaejoong bid until the shop door closed.

When Jaejoong returned to the room, all but Jaehyun were staring at him with expectant pained looks.

“We can tell from here that the situation is so bad even Ms. Boa is close to committing murder.” Sanha said.

“How serious is the last-minute order?” Moonbin asked.

Jaejoong replied, “High-class.”

“We’re screwed.” Moonbin concluded. “Appa, why did you accept?”

Jaejoong sighed. “Boa is your godmother and a long-time customer and friend. Besides, it will be the ones at the Greenhouse who will be doing most of this, and we’ll just handle the rest.”

“But how much are we going to do? The last time I remember, we just refilled inventory yes...ter...day…” MJ started to trail off as soon as he realized what was going to happen.

“BOSS JJ!”

“APPA!”

Jaehyun was shocked that he flinched on his ice cream when all of them screamed in exasperation at Jaejoong. “Excuse me, a little lost here?”

“Basically, we’re going all hands on deck for this one. That means five days of endless work. The only good side is where we’re going to stay for the next few days.” Eunwoo said.

“Where?” Jaehyun dared ask.

“To Boss JJ’s penthouse.”

Before Jaehyun could ask Moonbin what it meant, Jaejoong clasped his hands to gain their attention back to him.

“Alright boys, VIP work is VIP work. All of you prepare your sleeping bags and clothes for the next five days.” he then looked at Moonbin, “Binnie, you take care of Jaehyun and help him prepare what he needs to. I’ll load up all the things we need for the next few days, including the flowers we need.” he then looked at the rest of them, “Alright boys, finish up your snacks. I’ll head back to the office to finish the paperwork.” he instructed as he left the room to the office.

At this point, Jaehyun was completely lost.

But he was also looking forward to seeing where his father and Moonbin had been staying for them to afford feeding seven black holes for the next few days.

Jaehyun had to admit, he was excited about the sleepover as much as his co-workers.

He can’t wait.

TBC