Chapter 3

Of Flowers and Guns

Tokyo, Japan

Changmin would like to claim early victory for Jaehyun with the way he was seeing Yunho look at his phone from time to time for any messages that may come from the boy himself.

They have been in and out of the country for the past few months since the start of the semester, and no one has breathed a word about Jaehyun, not even in the household for fear of being fired. Changmin had assured them that it would not be the case, and that the argument the two of them had gotten into will just result in one admitting defeat out of guilt.

But still, the house staff and Jaehyun’s friends in NCT College, especially Taeyong, were giving the Jung residence a wide berth now that the young master was not living in there anymore and had transferred out of the school, which Yunho didn’t know until he told Changmin to make a tuition payment only for Changmin to tell him that Jaehyun transferred out of the school to Seoul University under a scholarship as soon as he moved out of the house.

To say that he was shocked was an understatement, and Changmin would like to take a guess that Yunho would crumble slowly, but Jaehyun will have no intention of contacting him and vice-versa. Such is the stubbornness that the two of them share.

“You know Hyung, if I didn’t know any better, I’d say you’re feeling guilty cutting Jaehyun off because of your temper.”

His words startled Yunho who immediately locked his phone. “What?”

The younger man just rolled his eyes, “It’s been five months. When are you ever going to say sorry to Jaehyun for overreacting?”

“I didn’t overreact.” he denied.

Changmin raised a judging brow at him. “Oh? So I didn’t hear you tell Jaehyun that if he really liked his freedom away from the mafia that much, then he can start learning that by not expecting any support from you the moment he steps out of the Jung residence. Did I get that one right?”

When the man flinched, Changmin knew that it hit right where it hurt.

“Hyung, why did you act up like that?” Changmin wondered.

It was in Jaehyun’s plan to incite his father’s temper and manipulate him to cut him off, but Changmin and Jaehyun both thought that the conversation would draw a little longer than an hour. To think that it happened faster than anticipated was the only reason why they displayed shocked faces that day.

A minute of silence, and Yunho let out a deep sigh and leaned on his chair. “He’s taking after Jaejoong as time passes.” he let out. “About freedom and being away from the mafia, I mean.”

Changmin didn’t expect that, but he was right. His determination to do something that is against most people’s opinions sounded a lot like Jaejoong. Even the way he planned things.

“Can’t argue with that. Now I see the problem.” Changmin deduced with a hint of amusement. “Well then, if the both of you will prolong this feud of yours, it’s best you do so while being productive with your work, Hyung.” he told him.

“Hyunjoong of the Seoul Kim Group is gathering some people from the Adachi Yakuza Clan. They’re also trying to rope in the Osaki Clan in their fold through their head’s younger brother as well. It’s best that we inform the Nakamoto and Osaki Yakuza Clan heads immediately.”

Yunho straightened up on his seat and looked at the laptop in front of him, showing the report that Changmin had made for him. “He should have anticipated that enticing the Nakamoto family head will not do him any good, seeing as he is childhood friends with Jaehyun. And you know the old man values genuine bonds over anything, especially not over something so silly as money and territorial gains. The Osaki Head, however, is going to refuse seeing as their young master Shotaro almost got killed by the Clan Head’s brother’s incompetence a few years ago.”

“I agree, but it’s best to be sure that no one from their clans will betray the family heads.” Changmin stated. “And I bet that they have deployed some people back at home to keep watch on the young master of the Nakamoto Clan for any form of actions that they may interpret as a ‘bad influence’ brought in by Jaehyun and the Guri Kim Clan’s second young master.”

“Then inform Gong Myung immediately. If there is something he doesn’t like, it’s someone adding malice to his younger brother’s intentions.” Yunho told him.

Changmin nodded and exited the office. Things were getting out of hand in Japan, and he had to warn Yuta to keep their eyes open for any chances of a snitch.

He will also need to send a message to Jaehyun as soon as he can.

‘With all of these things happening, Jaehyun had good timing in getting out of the limelight at the best opportune moment…’ he thought as he fished out his phone to start making preventive arrangements.

Jaejoong and Moonbin’s Penthouse, Gangnam

“I’m dead. My hands are shaking…” Sanha whined as he was wrapping a wire on his second extravagant bridesmaid bouquet made of real touch flowers. “Who the hell has twelve bridesmaids anyway?!”

“According to the bride, twelve is her lucky number.” Moonbin answered for him as he fixed his third bridesmaid bouquet

“Well it’s not for us.” MJ stated, finishing his second bouquet. “Twelve bridesmaids, twelve groomsmen. We’re lucky she doesn’t have twelve parents.”

“Wedding is in three and a half days and she’s not willing to make any compromises about the number of flowers in her wedding, and even agreed to use the real touch flowers.” Moonbin muttered.

Eunwoo added as he did his third groomsmen boutonniere, “Well, the parents will be paying for any extras so all we have to do is to cater to her whims.”

“But if her whims are too extravagant and highly unreasonable, I’d say Boa-sshi was right on the mark that she’s a bridezilla anyone would kill if she ever gets overboard.” JinJin added, getting started on his fourth boutonniere.

Rocky huffed as he finished off his second corsage for the bride’s parents. “If she needs help, I’d be happy to lend a hand.”

Jaehyun, who was still getting used to fixing the corsage for the groom’s parents, asked them, “Why are we using these types of faux flowers again?” he asked.

Jaejoong, who was working on the design for the bridal bouquet at a table just beside them, chuckled. “Because the flowers she wanted for the corsages and boutonnieres are already out of season at this time, so the next best thing is going to be real touch flowers, which is close to the texture of fresh flowers.” he explained. “A bit too pricey compared to fresh ones, but it’s better than nothing. The only fresh flowers she will be getting is for the church ceremony, the flower girl’s petals and her bridal bouquet, as agreed upon yesterday with my talk with Boa.”

“So all we need to do are the wearables and the ones for the reception.” Moonbin added. “The wedding is in four days and we have three days to get things done. That bride better count herself lucky that her wedding planner is Aunt Boa, otherwise, any other wedding planner will let her get married without flowers.”

“Or not have the wedding at all.” Jaehyun pointed out.

It has been a day since the five of them had imposed on Jaejoong and Moonbin’s penthouse just a few blocks away from the street where the flower shop was situated. Moonbin and Eunwoo had helped him prepare what he needed, considering that Eunwoo’s apartment was only below his. He got everything ready from his clothes for the next five days to his toiletries. Jaehyun had asked if he had to bring a sleeping bag with him for good measure, but Moonbin told him that the penthouse was big enough to have a guest bedroom and half of them will be rooming with Moonbin.

 

The penthouse was originally a bachelor’s pad, and when Jaejoong bought it a few years ago, it became a home for a single dad and his teenage son. He could see numerous photos of Jaejoong and Moonbin at various places either domestic or international, and there was no space in the house that did not indicate that they were avid collectors of souvenirs. Though Jaehyun did have a lot of questions about the horse lamp…

“That works too, but Boa is all about keeping her reputation unscathed. She’s been doing this for years and she would literally go on a rampage if her track record of delivering wonderful weddings is tarnished.” Jaejoong told him.

“Aunt Boa really is lucky.” Moonbin said with a grumble.

Jaejoong was about to say something when all of them heard a ringing phone.

Recognizing the ringtone, Jaehyun winced as he stopped what he was doing. “That could be my uncle or my boyfriend. Either way, not answering it is not an option.” Jaehyun said before excusing himself from everyone before picking up his phone and going out to the balcony for some privacy.

...

Jaejoong looked at the retreating back and looked at Eunwoo, “Curious, he always gets calls only from his uncle and his friends. Does his father ever check up on him?”

Eunwoo shook his head. “Not that I know of. When I met him, he and his dad had a falling out and cut him off, hence his need for a part-time job. They hadn’t spoken for months now.” he told them. “He’s a transfer student under a scholarship, so I guess he did that to save up for himself.”

Jaejoong hummed as he looked at Jaehyun through the french doors that separated the balcony to their living room-turned-worktable. He didn’t strike Jaehyun as one who has had a pampered upbringing, but to think that his own father would cut him off because of an argument was too surprising. The man already divorced with his husband that he was not over with yet, and yet here he was, cutting off the son that was placed under his care.

His mind brought him towards thoughts about Yoonoh. He is the same age as him right now, and he figured if he ever imagined him as grown-up, he might look just like him, dimples and all. If he ever finds out that Yunho attempted to do that with Yoonoh, he was going to storm through his office with something worse than a rake. Cutting off one’s son because of an argument, no matter how big, was something that he cannot do, even if Moonbin does sometimes let his horns get out sometimes.

Yoonoh...time and time again, Jaejoong would sometimes find himself looking at Jaehyun as if he was looking at a hint of what his oldest son would look like at this time. But he had decided to keep his distance, and that was on him.

Even though Boa still maintains contact with the father and son duo, Jaejoong never asked her what has been happening with their lives as of late. He only asks if they were well, and that was the end of his inquiries.

Maybe deep down, he wanted to know what had happened to him and his son directly from them.

But that time will have to wait. It will be a long time before that ever happens…

In the back of his mind, he wishes that was not so.

“Hey Uncle Changmin.” Jaehyun greeted upon answering the phone as soon as the balcony door was closed.

“How are you holding up there? Any developments?” Changmin asked him.

Jaehyun smiled as he leaned on the railings and gazed at the city view. “I’m in their penthouse now.”

The sound of Changmin letting out a ‘huh?’ in surprise stirred some satisfaction in Jaehyun. Very few people could do that to him. “I’d say, that was fast. How did he find out?”

The young man burst out a small laugh, “No, they didn’t. I’m at his house because Aunt Boa hired Appa as a last-minute florist, and all of us part-timers are here in the apartment helping out with that order. They don’t do this often though.”

He noticed that Changmin was a bit silent when he mentioned Boa’s name. “Uncle Changmin, why didn’t you tell me that Aunt Boa is still in contact with Appa and Binnie?”

Changmin sighed. “You can thank your parents’ stubbornness for that. Boa-noona is a protected outsider, thus, Jaejoong-hyung kept in contact with her along with Junsu-hyung and Yoochun-hyung. We are all aware that she’s neutral ground, but we didn’t want to bother her ceaselessly for every single update about Jaejoong-hyung and Moonbin. Over time, we just never addressed how the other party is doing and vice versa.” he explained to him. “Besides, Yunho-hyung figured if you were all to meet again, he would rather learn everything that has happened about them straight from their lips.”

“I guess so…” Jaehyun said. “But what about the fact that Appa has eight older sisters? You guys didn’t tell me about that.”

“Oh, that. Well, that’s a long story and is for another day, Woojae.” Changmin told him. “Right, the reason I called you is because we’re placing a red flag on the Seoul Kim Group. It seems that they’re trying to sway the favor of Yuta and Shotaro’s Yakuza clans to disentangle themselves from us.”

Jaehyun raised a brow. “What? How come? Is it because of Kim Hyunjoong and Shirota Yuu?”

“Bingo.” Changmin replied. “I’ve already notified your friends, and Taeyong will brief them all soon. I’ve instructed them not to be in contact with you for now, but I want you to be careful as well, Woojae. Hyunjoong and Shirota may not have seen a face or hair of you since your attempted assassination, but that does not mean that they can’t trace you, so be careful.”

At that, his brows furrowed, “How could they trace me when I changed everything, including my name?”

“It helps to be careful. The fact that you had been cut off by Yunho-hyung and is now undercover to get you to meet your Appa is good enough of a timing to get you out of harm’s way, at least for now.” Changmin warned him.

“I understand. I guess we won’t be too much in contact from now on until this all blows over?”

“That’s the idea.”

“Okay. Then I’ll stay here for winter break then.” Jaehyun decided. “Be careful out there, Uncle Changmin. Let me know if I am needed there.”

Changmin chuckled at his statement, “Believe me, Woojae, all we adults want to do is to keep you guys out of the frontlines as long as we can. Please be careful from now on. I’ll give you an early Christmas present next week. Keep your eyes open, okay?”

“Will do. Bye Uncle.” Jaehyun bid.

“Bye, Woojae.”

Three seconds after Changmin hung up, he breathed a sigh of frustration. For the adults, it was a good thing that he was out of the limelight, but for him, personally, he was frustrated that he cannot help out when he can. True he was already twenty, but he is still just a kid going through college. He understood that they were doing this to protect them, but that doesn’t mean that they had to like his situation at hand.

He was startled out of his thoughts when someone knocked on the glass door. He turned to see Moonbin signaling him to come inside for dinner, as Jaejoong had opted for a delivery dinner for the next few days in order to prioritize their rushed order.

Jaehyun only nodded and followed him to the dining room, the thoughts of Chagmin’s warning to be careful still heavy in his mind.

Even after five months of being away, he can’t still escape the fact that he was the heir of a mafia family.

‘Such is my life, I guess.’

It was now the day of the wedding, and the part-timers were ready to call it quits.

The only thing stopping them from doing so was that they were almost done with what they can. It now all rests on the deliverables.

For MJ, Euwoo, Rocky, and Sanha, it was case closed and they were going to go back to their normal lives, taking in normal orders for walk-ins and online orders.

For JinJin, Jaehyun and Moonbin, however, they were going to head to the hotel reception as early as possible.

The rest of the regular staff from the Greenhouse has already arrived and are setting up the flowers at the church while they are at the reception with the faux flower settings that they had been making for four nights straight onto every single table, including the buffet tables. There were also flowers that were set up to hang in the ceiling, but that is for the regular staff to do for safety reasons.

In his life, his Aunt Boa would always show him photos of her recent weddings, complete with a happy bride and their families, under a beautiful reception full of flowers, glamor and glitz. Her favorite ones were the ones for highly affluent couples. Now Jaehyun was seeing his aunt’s work in person, and there was no doubt that she was really one of the best wedding planners based in Seoul.

As he finished setting up the last of the table centerpieces, he saw Moonbin from the corner of his eye running towards him in a panic.

Looking at his little brother with a raised brow, he spoke, “Jaehyun-hyung, can you drive? Do you have a license?”

The question was kind of surprising considering that he does not own a car, at least not anymore, after leaving it at the Jung residence since he didn’t want to bother changing plates.

“I do, but I have no car. Why do you ask?” he answered.

At his answer, Moonbin smiled and grabbed his wrist to pull him out to wherever he wanted them to go. “Perfect! Come with me! JinJin-hyung just had to let his license lapse and won’t be getting it renewed until next week. Come on!”

Wondering why he was like this, he decided to just go along with it and followed.

They got to the outside of the ballroom of the hotel to the lobby, where Jaejoong and Boa were talking heatedly, both of them looking a little pissed, but not towards each other.

Jaehyun visibly paled, but no one seemed to notice.

“Appa! Jaehyun-hyung can drive and has a license!” Moonbin said as they approached the pair.

Jaejoong turned to see the two of them and relief washed over him. “Oh thank goodness. Jaehyun, I’m sorry, I know this is a little too last minute, but could you drive Boa to the church to take care of everything there? It seems that they encountered a snitch and needed her there ASAP instead of here. Boa is not fit to drive in her rage, and I can’t drive her since I have to supervise the team here.”

Jaehyun, making sure that he is avoiding his godmother’s gaze that is currently burning him, nodded. “Sure. Which car do I use?”

His father turned to see Boa looking intently at Jaehyun, but as fast as he could, the boy signaled him with his eyes not to tell Jaejoong who he really was talking to, and to go along with it at least just this once.

Boa took herself out of her shock and gave him the keys. “My car, of course. It’s at the valet. Come along, I’ll tell you the directions.”

Nodding meekly, knowing that he will be in trouble, he followed her with one last glance at his father and his little brother, hoping that by the end of this day, this will not be the last that he could get to see them.

Going out of the main entrance where the valet was waiting for Boa, she quickly passed him a large tip before motioning her to get in her car as she took the passenger seat.

Getting in the driver’s seat, he fastened his seatbelt at the same time as hers and started the car, the two left the hotel into the road as Boa’s GPS on her phone led the way to the church twenty minutes from the hotel.

“Jung Yoonoh.” Boa said with a laced exasperation in her voice. “I think you have some explaining to do.”

Jaehyun could only sigh in surrender. Of course there was no way his godmother would not pass the chance to get the truth out of him.

“It’s a long story…” he tried to escape.

“Well young man, it’s a long drive. Your mouth's not steering the wheels. We have all the twenty-minutes that you need to give me a brief story.”

It was at that moment, that Jaehyun knew that he had to admit defeat.

“Well…”

TBC