Chapter 9

Of Flowers and Guns

In Another Part of Seoul

Kim Hyunjoong stared at the report he was given by his personal investigator and stared at the photos of Jaejoong and Moonbin entering the building of his part-timer Eunwoo. This was a location that he had seen hundreds of times before since the brat had begun dating the aforementioned tenant of the building.

The sight of a very worried Jaejoong piqued his interest, as always. He skimmed through the photos as Jaejoong’s registered car had dropped off his son and another of his part-timers as he found a parking space a few blocks away before entering the building itself. The only reason why the investigator was not able to get in the building and try to follow him until the doorstep of his destination was security.

He might be living in Seoul, but the Gongju Kim women have eyes and ears everywhere, and if it involves their little brother and their nephew, then they have all the means to watch over them and the people they regularly associate with. If there is one thing they have to avoid, it is for the Gongju Kim to catch them stalking their youngest civilian brother.

He had already received a warning from them not to get too close with him anymore after the stunt he pulled two years ago that earned him not only the ire of the eight sisters and Moonbin, but the look of pity in Jaejoong’s eyes.

He never wanted those eyes to look straight into him again telling him that he will never have his heart no matter what he tried. That his marriage might be over, but he is still in love with Jung Yunho no matter how long it has been since they parted.

The thought of never having Jaejoong despite succeeding in ruining their marriage and trying to be a parent to the younger brat going to waste gnawed at him for the past two years.

The frustration of always being second best to Jung Yunho flared more over the years.

What else is the bastard going to take away from him?

As he looked at the photos, he saw a familiar plate in one of the cars. When he looked at the notes of his investigator, it would seem he noticed the car as well. Upon checking in, the particular plate number seems to be registered to a foreigner named Dong Sicheng.

That name is very familiar. In his recent attempts to make alliances with international powers, he had come across the Dong Family of China whose branch family is well-connected to the Chinese Triad while not being in the mafia themselves for the past few generations.

Their only heir was a daughter, and her eldest son is the bastard child of the one and only right hand of Jung.

“What is Changmin’s son doing there?” he muttered to himself.

Soon after, he saw photos of Jaejoong, Moonbin and his part-timers leaving the place to open up the shop and the investigator did not dive in any deeper about the car.

But it was something that Hyunjoong wanted to know more about.

He figured then and there that the more he knows about the business of the next generation rather than his, then he might find something that will be worth his while.

Fishing out his phone, he immediately called the number of his investigator. “Hey, it’s me. Leave Jaejoong alone for a moment and start following Dong Sicheng and the rest of the brats Jung has under his protection. I think it’s time that we look for the mini-Jung while we’re at it.” he said before hanging up.

Oh he was going to get revenge on Jung Yunho soon enough, and if it means eliminating the next generation of the Gwangju Jungs, then so be it.

He came so close before, had it not been for Kim Heechul.

He will definitely succeed a second time.

SM Memorial Hospital

Kangta looked at Jaehyun with a stern look as he looked at the lab results he had made Jaehyun take the moment he stepped foot in his clinic.

When he saw the pale face of the young man, he didn’t spend a second and got him the necessary lab tests to make sure his ailment was nothing more than a flu due to overexertion before the holidays began.

“Thankfully, you only really have the flu and you need a lot of bed rest, fluids and medication.” Kangta told him.

Jaehyun could feel the disappointment and worry in the eyes of the older man. He had been his personal doctor ever since he was born and had known his medical history more than his family. It makes sense for him to be worried that a once healthy young man came down with a flu due to overwork. All because of the inherent Jung Passion.

“I expected that.” Jaehyun muttered as he drank his medicine that the older man handed to him. “When do you think can I attend school and work? I still have two weeks left.”

“A week.”

“What?!” Jaehyun gaped at the man.

“That’s what you get for neglecting your health. You need to sleep, eat, take your meds, and rinse and repeat. No going out or pushing yourself the moment you feel better.” Kangta told him. “If you want me to keep my mouth shut about your flu from your father, you will do as I say and recover.”

“I thought it was because of doctor-patient confidentiality.” Jaehyun returned.

“You signed an agreement making it okay for Yunho to know of your medical issues.” Kangta shot back as he leaned back on his chair.

Jaehyun had the gall to roll his eyes, remembering that agreement.

He wondered why Winwin had hauled his behind to the other part of Seoul instead of booking an appointment at the nearest hospital from his apartment, but he was adamant that it was better that he get checked out by someone who actually knows his medical history and identity. Jaehyun was about to point out that it was not necessary and he could always use his second name, but one stern look from both Taeyong and Winwin made him concede.

He just hopes no one would tell on his father directly. If they even try, Changmin could always not tell his father if he gets there quick enough.

“Jaehyun, I know that you had an argument with your Dad, but don’t you think this is going too far just because of your security detail?”

As much as Kangta is a doctor, he is also one of his father’s seniors in the business until the man decided to be in the background helping out with the medical side of things for the Gwangju Jung Group and many others that are part of their own alliance. Jaehyun often wondered how his father had gotten a lot of strong support all these years, only to find out that most of the adults in his life had been under the tutelage and guidance of one man, Lee Sooman, a man that was feared just as much as he was revered both in the underground and the surface world for his tact and vision.

He was the standard of most of their generation when it comes to power and influence that is still felt as of this day. He was the perfect mixture of kind and dangerous.

For his direct students to still be connected after all these years meant that the man not only encouraged the careful rise of power and influence, but to value the connections they had with each other. He was smart enough to ensure that he was feared but not to a point where his men would betray him. If only many people followed his example, Jaehyun thought to himself.

“I will stay this way until I get my point across to him.” Jaehyun said with a shrug.

Kangta could only accept that he didn’t like the way the father and son were taking things. While Changmin had assured him it was going to be fine, he still couldn’t help but worry about the whole situation.

“Fine, the two of you continue to be that way.” he conceded. “Just make sure to take your medicine on time for the next week, and you should be right as rain after. Do not, and I mean do not go to school or work until next week.” Kangta reminded him. “I’ll send you off with a medical report to your school as proof just in case.”

Kangta only hopes the two make up as soon as possible.

Jaehyun’s Apartment

“You heard Kangta-sshi, rest.” Taeyong said as he tucked Jaehyun back in his bed half an hour after leaving the hospital. Jaehyun had no choice but to submit to his commands knowing that he was right.

“I know.” Jaehyun replied. “How long are you guys going to be here?” he wondered.

“As long as it takes, apparently.” Winwin said as he had his phone with him with a familiar caller ID on it. “Bàba wants to talk to you.”

Jaehyun groaned as he took the phone from Winwin. “Hey Uncle Changmin.”

“Hello to you too, sick young man.” Changmin replied with a hint of amusement. “I take it you like your caretakers for the next few days?”

“You can take back Winwin and leave Taeyong here.”

As soon as he said that, Winwin smacked his leg on the duvet in annoyance. Jaehyun was unbothered as his hit was not that strong and just smiled mischievously.

“Well, it looks like you’re on the right track to recovery. Just listen to Kangta-hyung and you’ll be fine.” Changmin said on the other line.

“You’re not going to tell Dad, are you?” Jaehyun wondered.

“No, not if you don’t want to. But he deserves to know.” Changmin told him without missing a beat.

Jaehyun was about to protest at the last part when he met Taeyong’s eyes telling him that while he knows that while he wants to keep what he is doing a secret, the man still has the right to know how his son was doing.

Besides, he wasn’t really mad at his father, so he had to cut him some slack.

“You can tell him, but please, stop him from storming to where I am. He’s too overprotective the last time I was sick.” Jaehyun told him.

“Good to know.” Changmin replied with an amused tone. Jaehyun could tell that he was quite happy with his decision on telling his father about his health condition. “I’ll tell him once he gets back from his meeting. He’s been worried since he found out you moved out, so this will be a good update for him.”

“Thanks Uncle Changmin…” Jaehyun said with a groan as he felt his head throbbing again.

Winwin took it as his time to take the phone away from Jaehyun, “Alright, no more phone time. Sleep.” he then put his phone on his ear to speak with his father, “We’ll take care of him Bàba. He’ll be fine after a few days of sleeping and powerful meds.” he told his father as he walked out of the room, leaving him with Taeyong once again.

Taeyong smiled at Jaehyun, “I’m proud of you Jaehyunnie.” he told him.

Jaehyun had to raise his brow in curiosity. “About what?”

“About finally giving your dad an update about you after months of no contact.” he clarified. “He kept asking me if you were still contacting us and if you were doing fine on your own.”

This was news to Jaehyun. He figured since he went on with his ultimatum, he would not care about what he has been doing as long as he stayed out of trouble. “He did?”

Taeyong nodded. “We told him you were still talking to us, but you don’t share where you really are and what you have been doing.” he told him. “He seems convinced that you had completely cut all contact with him just to spite him, and I can tell that he regrets the words he said to you back then…”

The sick young man sighed, “Of course he did.” Jaehyun said with a sigh. “Uncle Changmin gives me updates on what has been going on, and he keeps on hinting that Dad has been beating himself up about it. I feel sorry that he had to think that I want nothing more to do with him and our world when what I only wanted was to see Appa and to be with him even for just a limited amount of time.” he muttered. “And I feel bad for manipulating him all the same.”

Taeyong understood this very well. It has been a while since the father and son had an honest talk about their feelings to each other, but he knew that this kind of talk between them right now was wishful thinking, according to his older sister. It would just need to take a little more time before the two would swallow their prides and talk.

“If he knew what you were really up to, he’d be very upset but would understand your position. That, and he might ground you the moment things die down.” Taeyong added.

“He’s always upset about everything I do to at least have a semblance of a normal life. Even hanging out with you guys outside of school and the house requires ten bodyguards on undercover duty.” Jaehyun said. “He’s been paranoid ever since someone tried to kill me.”

“And that’s why he doesn’t like you out of his sight. You must understand that he already lost your Appa and Moonbin, he didn’t want to lose you too.” Taeyong told him.

Jaehyun didn’t have anything to refute that fact. Taeyong was right, but for his plans that are borderline selfish, it was necessary.

He would never admit it, not even to Changmin, that he carried a lot of guilt about manipulating his father and going so far as to pretend to be a stranger to his other father and younger brother. It was only his carelessness that he got found out by Moonbin because of his interaction with his godmother and his stupid fever-stricken mouth.

“I know…” Jaehyun muttered as he buried himself further in the covers. It was a sign for Taeyong to drop the subject and to allow Jaehyun to reflect on what he said. He will be thinking about it, no doubt.

Sighing, Taeyong caressed his dimpled cheek once more, “Get some rest. We’ll check back on you in time for dinner, okay?” He didn't wait for a reply as he saw Jaehyun’s eyelids drooping and silently left the room.

Gwangju Jung HQ

“What do you mean he’s sick and I can’t see him?!” Yunho exclaimed, almost dropping the paperwork he was working on when Changmin entered his office telling him that Jaehyun came down with the flu and had been sick since yesterday.

Changmin, expecting this type of reaction, tried to calm down the frantic parent. “Hyung, calm down. Taeyong and Winwin are taking care of him and Kangta-hyung already checked on him and prescribed meds.” he told him.

“And have you talked to him?” Yunho asked him.

“I did. He said he’ll be fine.” Changmin assured him as he went to the older man and forced him to sit back on his office chair by his shoulders, making Yunho look up at him with worry still in his eyes. “And he asked me to tell you to not look for him. He’s still mad.”

Changmin felt Yunho’s shoulders go slack in defeat.

Yunho thought, after all these months, his son was still mad. He thought bitterly that he got it from his Appa. The same stubbornness that he had always seen in Jaejoong that he would sometimes coax his way to get back in said man’s good graces.

He was already getting himself ready to hop into his car and drive straight to where Jaehyun is at the moment, but he had to stop himself. Jaehyun would most likely slam the door in his face and tell him to go away. Just thinking about it nearly drove him to tears.

He may be Jung Yunho, one of the most prominent people in the underground, but he was still the sensitive father who overthinks and overreacts to anything that his son gets himself into, mafia related or not.

Still, as much as he wanted to run to his son, he knew he had to respect his boundaries.

Just as much as Jaejoong and Moonbin needed their distance.

Leaning back on his chair, Yunho started to wonder where he went wrong again. Everything that he does for the sake of his family’s safety would always backfire.

“He’s as stubborn as Jaejoong…” he muttered.

“They are father and son after all.” Changmin replied. “The boys might have gotten most of your looks, but there is a lot of Jaejoong in their personalities.”

At that, Yunho picked Changmin’s words apart. “Wait. What do you mean by both of them?”

Changmin realized what he had said and attempted to backtrack. Jaehyun had been blabbing on his secure emails about Moonbin being not only strong but also cute and puppy-like just like Jaejoong that he said it so casually.

“Something that Junsu-hyung and Yoochun-hyung told me about when we last spoke.” he made up. “They mentioned about being with Moonbin and I got curious.”

“Oh…” Yunho responded. “If that’s the case…just tell him to get better soon and send in a care package from Mrs. Choi just in case.” he looked Changmin in the eye, “I know better than anyone here that you know how to find him without being seen.”

Changmin raised a brow, “I’ve known that you know since the day I told you Jaehyun moved out, hyung. I don’t feel guilty at all.”

“And this is how I know that you side with him and not me.”

“Well, he is technically right, you were too strict with his security…” he trailed off. “But that is a conversation for another time. I’ll go and look for Mrs. Choi now.” Changmin finished as he left the office.

Yunho waited until Changmin’s footsteps faded and pulled a face of distrust.

Changmin had been secretive about something ever since Jaehyun moved out. He had passed it off as just him hiding Jaehyun’s traces, something that the boy must have requested from his godfather, but he can sense that there was something else.

He was being played, and he did not like it one bit, but it was not malicious in nature so he decided to just let them do what they want to unless things on their end go south.

Sighing, he glanced at his side to where a photo of him and Jaejoong sat. “You know, Jaehyun is growing up to be just like you, impulsive, secretive and could very well hold a grudge on me.” he muttered. “But that’s what I love about you…” he muttered as he played with his wedding band that he never took off even after the divorce.

Yunho wanted to find Jaejoong the moment the coast was clear, but he respected Jaejoong’s request to always allow him the first move in communicating, and if he wanted to pass a message, Yoochun and Junsu would deliver that to Changmin and then to Yunho.

This complicated arrangement was his own undoing, he knew, but for Jaejoong, he would gladly be at a greater disadvantage for the sake of their safety and their right of a quiet life.

If only he could say the same for him and Jaehyun.

TBC