one: tears of the rain

YSWTWF
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

when I saw you I fell in love, and you smiled because you knew

-William Shakespeare

 

 

 

 

“Please wait here while I get your files,  Ms. Dawn.”

 

 

 

I glanced at the big wall clock, it was quarter to 5. The atmosphere starts to gloom as gray clouds fill the skies. I’m at the teacher’s office waiting for my files.I crack a small smile while looking at the window, it was gonna rain soon. I expected it, I watched the weather forecast. I like the rain it makes me feel calm and peaceful. The cold breeze enters the room making me shiver. I was gonna miss this university, well not really but I am grateful to this school. Still I can’t wait to walk out the exit and never come back. I’m gonna graduate next week, finishing my degree in Graphic Design. It wasn’t a stroll in the park to get where I was now; working 3 minimum wage paying jobs while cramming my studies was hell. There were times where I doubted myself if I will be good enough or even be qualified to enter this prestigious university. I clearly underestimated myself because now, I was graduating top of the class and companies were lining up to hire me. My professors were happy for me but were surprised when I declined all the job offers. I had other plans I said to them. Working for a company, chasing deadlines, trying to empress your boss was not my forte, it was too stressful. I wanted freedom, to fly solo, to travel the world while working on my computer. Most importantly I had a dream to fulfill, for myself and someone I hold dear. But of course freedom, ironically was not for free. I spent 8 years working my off paying for it and I am ready for my long awaited reward.

 

 

 

Moving to the U.S at the early age of 16 with no money whatsoever was not the best decision I made but it was the only one I had at the time. But now everything was going my way, I was done with school, I have clients on my computer waiting for me. If I’m lucky enough I can leave next month and set off on my journey. Indeed that was the life I wanted to live, free from stress, worry, problems- no you can never be free from problems but you can minimize how it will affect you. But yeah you get the idea. I receive my files and head down to the library to return the books I borrowed. It was already pouring outside, the people scampering for shelter. Bidding goodbye to the librarian, I exit the university; opening my umbrella I take long strides avoiding puddles along the way.

 

 

 

The wind was getting colder by the minute, I was almost near the parking lot where my van was waiting. Taking a break, I stand near a cafe for shelter. The rain was getting stronger. Checking my bag, making sure my files were still dry; I regret not parking closer to the university. I check my phone and saw a text from Nic, my co worker.

 

 

 

Did you see room 109? she’s hot

 

I’m so lucky I got assigned to her *triple heart eyes emoji*

 

 

 

Not replying I get ready to continue my trek to my van. My shoes were wet now, I take a turn; looking forward I saw a peculiar lady ahead of me, walking miserably on the rain. The lady was drench from head to toe,  she looked like she just  got dumped by a 10 year relationship. She was wearing a white shirt that was now transparent from the rain. I furrow my brows watching the girl. Contemplating if I should help or not. The girl was walking with no direction, wobbly and unstable. I scoff in disbelief when I saw the girl was wearing heels on wet concrete. She was gonna slip anytime soon, I predicted.

 

 

 She got herself in this situation, she should help herself.  I pass the girl, not looking back. One more block and I’m home.

 

 

 

…..

 

 

 

She could hear the girl’s slow foot steps behind her. She unconsciously slows down her pace. Checking on the girl at the side of her eye. She couldn’t see her face, her hair was on the way. That time came sooner than she expected. She halts her steps when she heard a sloppy thud. She turns around, the girl was now on the ground. Without a thought she rushes to the girl. Putting an umbrella above her head, she checks the girl; her knee was bleeding. With the umbrella above them, she kneels down in front of the girl and examines the wound. The girl’s head was bent down, she looked pitiful. She knew what she was about to say was unnecessary and stupid but she said it anyway.

 

 

 

“You should’ve watched the weather forecast.”

 

 

 

Unexpectedly the girl laughed, it was a heartily laugh. She didn't reckon on those words, she was expecting a 'are you okay?' or a 'may I help you?' but she guessed wrong. Curious, she lifted her head to see who said such randomness . Bright hazel eyes stared at her taking her breath away. For a second the rain seemed to slow down as their eyes meet for the first time. The raindrops sounded like a sweet melody, or was it their imagination playing tricks on them. This stranger had her umbrella above her head, her eyes staring into her soul like it was searching for a story. Feeling vulnrable in front of someone she didn't know, she forgot all the things she wanted to say.

 

 

The stranger broke the eye contact, if it went on for any longer her heart could not take it. This girl was the prettiest person she had ever seen. She didn't look like she was from around here. She looked familiar too, though she couldn’t put her finger on it.

 

 

 

“We should go, can you stand?” The stranger stood up, offering her hand to the injured person.

 

 

 

“Thank you, sorry can I cling to you? The stranger nodded. Her leg was still throbbing from the pain. She held her by the waist to support her balance. The two walked together through the rain, unknown to the path they were leading to.

 

 

 

Unlocking the van, she opens the door for the injured girl. Holding the stranger’s hand she manages to climb onto the van. Both were wet and cold, and one bleeding.

 

 

 

“You live here?” The girl asked, fascinated.

 

 

 

“Yes.”

 

 

 

“It’s nice and cozy.” She looks at the owner, she was busy rummaging through the drawer.

 

 

 

“Do you live alone?”

 

 

 

“Yes.” Pulling out a fresh towel from the drawer, she hands it to the girl.

“Dry yourself.”

 

 

 

“Thank you.” She takes the towel and wipes her arms and hair. “What’s your name?” she asks her savior. But she doesn’t answer.

 

 

“I’m Sana. Minatozaki Sana.” She introduces herself. Biting her lips; suddenly nervous when her savior turns to look at her.

 

 

 

“You shouln’t follow people to their van, Sana.” she deadpanned.

 

 

 

Sana doesn’t notice the tone and smiles cutely;  she didn't know why but she liked how she said her name. The stranger’s voice was easy to the ears. It was monotone and husky.

 

 

 

“I followed you because you’re nice.” shyly she remarked.

 

 

 

“I’m not.”

 

 

 

“You are.”

 

 

 

“I’m not.”

 

 

 

“Yes, you are. You helped me and gave me this towel.” she held the towel up and shook it like it was some kind of trophy she won.

 

 

 

“That doesn’t make me nice.”Her savior was stubborn.

 

 

 

“Yes it does.”

 

 

 

“Fine, but what if I wasn’t?” She asked seriously and looks the girl in the eye. Behind that annoyed look was sympathy. Sana could recognize it, she was sick of that look.

 

 

 

“Do you know m-”

 

 

 

“, I forgot you’re bleeding.” She hastily opens the cabinets looking for the first aid kit. Sana looks at the stranger trying to figure her out.

 

 

 

She kneels in front of Sana and cleans the wound using the first aid kit. Blowing on the would to ease the pain for the other girl. She mentally punched herself for not helping the girl before she hurt herself. Taking a bandage she dresses the injured knee carefully.

 

 

 

“May I carry you?”

 

 

 

"Marry?” She misheard. It wasn’t her fault, she was used to hearing that word.

 

 

“No, carry.” She acts like she’s carrying a baby to get the thought across.

 

 

“No, I can stand by myself.” Sana says and stands abruptly; surprising her injured leg. She winces at the pain and loses balance; closing her eyes, she was ready to meet the ground for the second time today. But instead she meets a soft chest and a hand on her back. She blushes; embarrassed at her failed attempt. She nearly screamed when she was lifted from the floor; she holds onto her neck and glares at the stranger who had an attractive jawline.

 

 

She smells like roses and…what is that scent?

 

 

Before she could stop herself, Sana sniffs the stranger’s neck. Thankfully the latter didn’t notice but before she could determine what scent was lingering on the stranger’s body, she was placed gently on the bed.

 

 

 

“Undress.”

 

 

 

“eh?” She blinked her eyes multiples times, flabbergasted.

 

 

 

“Change into this.” She gives her an oversized shirt. Her shirt was already transparent from the rain and the owner of the van was having a hard time trying not to look.

 

 

 

“oh, thanks.” she says red-faced.

 

 

 

The stranger bites the side of , trying to contain the smile creeping on her face. This person she saved was getting more and more adorable as time passes. She turns around  trying to give Sana privacy while she changes. Deciding to change too, she takes off her top; startling the other girl behind her. Sana stares shamelessly at the stranger; she had a good body, fit and a little bit muscular, tall about 5’9. She cranes her neck trying to see the tattoo on the stranger’s side. Before she could see the tattoo, it was blocked by a fabric. It was a maroon hoodie. Sana pouted.

 

 

 

Bad hoodie, I almost saw it..

 

 

After putting on her hoodie she checks on Sana, she was now wearing her favorite shirt. It looked good on her. Too good. Breaking her gaze at the girl on her van, she took a blanket.

 

 

 

“Here, you look cold.” she gives the blanket to Sana without looking at her.

 

 

 

“See, you are nice.” she playfully smiles at her;  her savior rolled her eyes, making Sana giggle.

 

 

 

“We should go to the hospital and get that checked.” She points at the injured knee.

 

 

 

“No. I’m okay.” If she went to the hospital, surely the media would know and it would cause unnecessary worry from her members and family.

 

 

 

“Are you sure?”

 

 

 

“Yes. It’s just a scratch.”

 

 

 

“Fine. Where should I take you then?”

 

 

 

“Hotel Bleu Mood, please.”

 

 

 

 

“Okay.” She said while putting her half wet top on the hamper. She’ll need to do her laundry soon, it was almost full.

 

 

 

“Will you not tell me your name?” Sana tilts her head to the side. She never met such kind-hearted yet enigmatic person.

 

 

 

“It’s not necessary.”

 

 

 

“But I want to thank you properly for saving me.” Sana pouts and her savior turns away.

 

 

 

 

“You don’t have to-”

 

 

 

“Then I’ll call you sunshine!”

 

 

 

“Sunshine??” She raises her left eyebrow.

 

 

 

“Yes sunshine.” Sana smiled sweetly. Sana didn’t really know why that nickname popped on her head but it seemed perfect for her savior.

 

 

 

The stranger was confused, was the nickname because of her tan skin? Did she smell like the sun? Anxious; she smells her armpits for any unpleasant smell but nothing, she smelled fine. It’s not like she didn’t like the nickname, she just wanted to know where it came from. And besides she didn’t have the heart to reject the nickname when the giver looked so proud of it.

 

 

 

“Sana, why tha-”

 

 

 

Thunder

 

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter