iv. winter camp

as you are
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"Okay, so why am I stuck here with you idiots?"

 

"Because you've been going to our family camping trips ever since we were kids?"

 

Hyukjae groans at the reminder. He admits that their camping trips have been fun and memorable, but he won't admit it in front of his best friend. Hyukjae then turns at the person beside his best friend. "This camping trip is a trap, Donghae. Consider yourself warned."

 

Donghae chuckles at the back seat, currently holding Kyuhyun's hand. They're on their way to the camping ground that Kyuhyun's family (and Hyukjae, as he had learned) frequents every school break. They are currently riding in a van with Kyuhyun's dad driving, Kyuhyun's mom beside him, providing snacks to everyone, Hyukjae and Ahra are in the middle seat, and Donghae and Kyuhyun are in the back seat.

 

"Stop being dramatic, Hyuk." Kyuhyun rolls his eyes at his best friend's antics, "Just because I brought my boyfriend along doesn't mean I'm going to be lovey dovey with him all the time." He reasons, "I'm shy to do that around my family, you know."

 

"Oh really?" Hyukjae exclaims, eyeing the couple's hands, "And you aren't 'shy' when you're with me?" Hyukjae scoffs, "Also with how you guys act in school? I don't think there's going to be any difference."

 

Ahra chuckles beside Hyukjae, "Hyukkie, just bring your boyfriend next time so you don't have to be a third wheel with these two all the time."

 

Hyukjae's and Kyuhyun's eyes widen at the bomb that Ahra just dropped, but for different reasons.

 

Kyuhyun leans forward towards his sister at the news, "What boyfriend? I didn't know Hyuk's got a boyfriend?!"

 

"Noona!" Hyukjae pleads with his eyes to stop exposing him to his best friend. The senior that's been flirting with him is not his boyfriend yet, however, even though they have mutual feelings for each other, he wants to make sure that his feelings towards the senior are real before telling Kyuhyun all about it. However, Ahra just can't take a hint.

 

"How come you didn't know? My classmate's been buying him food during lunch all this time!?" Ahra reveals. Kyuhyun sulks, pouts, and leans back toward his seat, letting go of Donghae's hand to cross his arms, choosing to look at the window instead. 

 

Sensing the shift in the atmosphere, Donghae looks worriedly between Hyukjae and Kyuhyun. Hyukjae breathes out heavily as he closes his eyes, leaning his head on the window as if to sleep. Donghae then looks worriedly at Ahra, who can only shake her head. 

 

Donghae places his hand on Kyuhyun's knee, trying to comfort his boyfriend with his touch, to let him know that he's there to support, to listen. He then looks at the window, passing by trees upon trees.

 

It's going to be a long ride.







 

"Yah, Kyuhyun-ah." Hyukjae calls his best friend once they get out of the car upon arriving at the campsite. He nods his head to one of the benches far from where the reception area is and walks over the said bench without looking back, knowing that his best friend will soon follow him. 

 

Donghae, on the other hand, took it upon himself to help Ahra take their baggage and camping stuff out of the car, while Kyuhyun's parents checked themselves in at the reception. He anxiously glances over to the bench where the long time best friends are talking, when Ahra pats his shoulder.

 

"They're always like that at the start of the camping trip,  Donghae." Ahra starts, taking her overnight bag out of the compartment first, Donghae follows with his own baggage out. "One time Hyukkie sulked because Kyuhyunnie forgot to tell him about the new game he bought and played it alone. It's not a big deal and yet they sulk over the tiniest things." Ahra sighs, reaching over their camping gear.

 

Donghae helps her to get the camping gear out, "I was just not used to it, I guess. I'm used to seeing them bicker, not have a silent war."

 

Kyuhyun's sister chuckles, the last of their baggage out of the car, "They'll be back to their bickering selves in no time." Ahra and Donghae see Hyukjae and Kyuhyun approach them, seemingly fine as if the events in the car did not happen. "Yah, you two! Bring all these in the cabin!" She hollers as she slings her bag to her shoulder, and goes ahead of them, following her parents to their cabin.

 

Kyuhyun, Donghae, and Hyukjae pick their own baggage along with the camping gear and walks to the direction of their assigned cabin "So, stranger," Kyuhyun addresses his best friend who is a few steps ahead of them, tone playful, as if the earlier fiasco in the car didn't happen,  "How does it feel to have free lunch dates with your senior crush?"

 

Donghae chuckles and joins his boyfriend in teasing his best friend, "I bet you baby, his stomach may be full, but so is his heart."

 

Hyukjae glares at the couple, ears red. He then continues to walk ahead, trying to walk faster to put a considerable amount of distance between him and the most obnoxious couple behind him. However, Kyuhyun and Donghae continue to poke fun at his embarrassed state. 

 

"Babe, we should go and join them in the cafeteria for lunch instead of eating in our classroom so we could see how whipped this senior is for Hyukkie." Kyuhyun suggests excitedly as they arrive at their cabin. Kyuhyun, Donghae, and Hyukjae share a room, whereas Ahra and the siblings' parents share another room. "I'm going to expose his embarrassing moments to this senior, too." Kyuhyun laughs sardonically.

 

Donghae was about to respond to his boyfriend's suggestion when Hyukjae whips his head in their direction and glares at both of them, "Don't you dare." He threatens. Kyuhyun scoffs and demands, "What are you going to do then? Huh?" 

 

Hyukjae turns to him, expression sadistic as he thought about what he's going to say, "What I'm going to do? Oh I got lots, Cho Kyuhyun."

 

Hyukjae then moves a foot closer to Kyuhyun, tapping his fingers mockingly together, wide smile in place, voice slow and spooky, "I'm going to sneak into your room, approach your computer, and delete all your games in there."

 

Kyuhyun scoffs and rolls his eyes, he has backup for all his games, he's sure Hyukjae knows that. He could just re-download his games on his computer. It's barely going to affect him.

 

Hyukjae smirks, "oh, I'm not yet done, Kyuhyunnie." Donghae crosses his arms on his chest and leans back on the wall watching the scene unfold in front of him, the task of arranging their luggages long forgotten.

 

"Then I'm going to your closet, look for that backup data underneath your clothes–"

 

Kyuhyun's eyes widen, "How'd you–"

 

"--then take it with me and hide it somewhere you'll never ever predict. Throw it away? Nah. I'm not that cruel. Maybe I'll hide it in my house? Hmm, that's too obvious. Maybe in school! I know a few hiding places."

 

Kyuhyun scoffs once more once recovered from the initial shock of information; Hyukjae knows where he hides his back up data, almost believing that his best friend is capable of doing that very elaborate plan, "I know you, Hyukjae. You're all bark and no bite."

 

"You think?" Hyukjae smirks

 

Silence enveloped the room.

 

"Nah, I don't think you'll be able to do it."

 

Hyukjae chuckles, "We'll see. Better safeguard those back up data when we get back." He sing songs as he leaves to go to the bathroom to wash up.

 

Donghae just smiles in amusement, back to arranging his things on the floor and prepares for their camping trip.

 

This is going to be a fun camping trip.







 

"Do you think he means it, babe?" Kyuhyun wonders, gathering some branches to use for their campfire this evening.

 

"Hmm?"

 

"You know, Hyukjae hiding my back up data."

 

Donghae continues with his task and picks up another branch, "I don't know. You tell me. You've been best friends for so long."

 

"Oh, come on, Hae."

 

"Well, what do you think?"

 

"Hmm. I don't think he will be able to do it. He's all bark and no bite."

 

"There's your answer."

 

Kyuhyun groans, "You're not helping, Hae. I want to know your opinion."

 

"Well," Donghae starts, "I think he'll do it if you provoke him too much."

 

Kyuhyun drops the branches that he had gathered into the pile and hums in thought. "Maybe we can hide them in your house, Hae. That way he won't be able to get near it."

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter