Introduction: The Proclamation

The Chosen Few // Historical AU // Cheatsheet is Up and Applications are Open
Hello, Stranger
emperor.jpg
INTRODUCTION
The Proclamation
"What do you mean?" The emperor's voice was strong and almost sounded offended. The Head Councilman bowed his head respectfully, looking at his feet. "We merely believe that your grace would be more secured in your future for the empire if you had a proper partner beside you. An Empress the people could love and adore." Daejung's eyes narrowed dangerously on the older man. "Do you mean to tell me that my subjects do not trust my future and leadership without a woman beside me?" He saw movement beside him and turned his attention to the man no more than five feet from him. "I do not believe that is the intent, your highness." Daejung looked up into the eyes of Chulmoo, his most cherished and trusted advisor, Head Speaker, and cousin. His only living relative. "I think what Head Councilman Jung was proposing is that the people are afraid after your father's sudden passing and would like to see the empire's linage fufilled for the next generation."  Daejung sighed. He had assumed the council would force him to marry at some point in his reign, but he was surprised it was so soon. He wasn't ready for marriage, let alone letting someone in after his siblings had been murdered only a year ago and his father's sudden passing. He was still greiving, couldn't they understand that? "And how exactly did you plan to find this mystery woman I am to marry?" He turned his attention back to the Head Councilman, and Jiwoo seemed to shrink on himself. "We would like to send out an imperial proclamation for 3 trials. One trial to test beauty and background.One trial to test intelligence and communication skills. And one trial to test social and interperonal skills. We believe the women who pass all these tests could be canidates for the empress. Then we will have the top six move into the imperial palace where you can bond with and make your final decision. We would never try to choose a bride for you, your grace." Daejung abhorred the idea, but he couldn't very well say so outloud. Not just one woman, but six? Were the council crazy? But he knew, if he didn't go along with the whims of the court, they would inevitably make it happen, and likely on even less curteous terms. "Fine," Daejung grit his teeth as he turned to Chulmoo. "Send out the proclamation to all the villages of our empire inviting them to nominate local beauties for the trials." The council all bowed lowly, Chulmoo doing the same. Daejung just glared over them all. He'd make them regret this.
PREV.
CHAPTER
 
NEXT
CHAPTER