Mixed Feelings

Breaking As One

‘I haven’t seen you in a long time… So do you want to come with me to eat in a near-by café? I mean, to talk...’ She awkwardly wrote out out of the blue.

“Sure…”

‘Okay then… Follow me.’ She wrote, and walked away first.

Changmin awkwardly looked at her for seconds then followed after her. It was so awkward going out- I mean, going on in a friendly meeting?- with her. He didn’t feel too good about thinking it was just that. Just a friendly meeting.

Sooyoung stopped infront of a café and let out a small awkward smile to him. His heart beat fast at her smile. Even though it was an awkward one and a fake one, he didn’t care. It was a  smile he hadn’t seen for so long, and he had been missing it. She just stood there, as if waiting- Right! Changmin quickly snapped out of his daze and opened the door for her. Geez, what a man.

‘Thanks.’ Changmin saw.

Sooyoung went in first and he followed after. “Where do you want to sit, young couple?” An old lady holding a menu on her hand smiled at them. She must have thought they were together.

“Ahjumma-” Changmin started, but stopped when he saw Sooyoung pointing in the corner with two seats. Changmin felt himself blush. The two of them? Together again? What a miracle for him. But he inwardly slapped himself, Get a hold of yourself, Changmin!

“Oh, there,” She let out a small laugh, but afterwards let out a cough. “Okay, then, just for the young couple. Go on, kids.”

He opened his mouth to softly argue but sighed instead, Why am I like this?

The old lady gave them a menu-just one- and gave Changmin a wink. Probably hinting him to just use one menu for the both of them. What are Ahjummas doing now-a-days? But Changmin meekly smiled at her. The old lady’s tinkling laugh filled the café as she walked away to the cashier.

He lost his smile as they sat on their seats. His heart was drumming anxiously in his chest.

Sooyoung gave him the menu and wrote something.

'You order first… I know the food here anyway.’ She turned the sketch pad to him. Changmin felt his stomach flying with butterflies. Oh man, she was so nice and angelic. He couldn’t contain himself. But it should be awkward! Why wasn’t it?

And he took the menu from her and picked his own order.

“Two cheesecakes, a banana smoothie, and an apple smoothie. Yes, that’s it. Thank you.”

----

After eating -should I talk to you about what happened?- with silence, and the ahjumma giving him a disapproving frown-maybe telling him he wasn’t doing a very good job on a lady- they decided to go home together. Of course, it was late at night, and Changmin would be the one to be blamed for what will happen to Sooyoung. It was dangerous for girls, alright. Changmin suddenly was sweating because of anxiousness. Awkward… that’s what you call it. But to him, it was…. love…?

Call him crazy, because they only met again after a really bad break-up, but he felt himself going back to his old-self. To his ‘I love Sooyoung’-self.

Sooyoung and Changmin walked throughout the busy streets of Seoul.

A quiet night with overflowing people, indeed. They walked silently and thought to themselves.

They didn’t notice the time moving so fast because now they were infront of Sooyoung’s house. ‘You still remember my house?’ Sooyoung wrote.

Changmin turned red. “I just followed you!” He exclaimed. Then he suddenly felt that the atmosphere wasn’t as awkward as before.

He didn’t notice, but Sooyoung’s expression seemed to flatten a little bit. Hurt, I guess? But it was a good excuse.

‘I got to go inside. Bye…’ Sooyoung wrote. But she was really getting a little cold.

Now Changmin noticed it. He took off his jacket and put it around her awkwardly. Then everything came back to him. Sooyoung and his past.