Chapter 22

Left behind

Taeil woke up to the smell of coffee and toast, sunlight seeking its way through the window. He heard Jihoon humming in tune with the music coming from the radio and Taeil felt a warm sensation fill up his whole body. Mornings like these were like a gift from God, something written in a script for a movie, something he never would imagine himself being blessed with.

 

He stood up and grabbed his sweatpants, then grabbing his t-shirt which had been tossed on the floor, got dressed and stepped out of the room.  "Morning," he said and Jihoon turned around.

 

"Good morning," Jihoon said and kissed his forhead. "Hungry?"

 

Taeil nodded and sat down, taking in the sight of toasted breads, ham, cheese and slices of colorful vegetables to put on. Jihoon put down a mug in front of him and poured the hot black coffee inside.

 

"Thank you,"

 

Jihoon smiled at him, then sat down on the chair on the opposite of the table. "Dig in!"

 

Taeil gladly took a toast and grabbed various vegetables to mix on top of it as Jihoon poured himself some coffee as well.

 

"I'm the first one to ever make you breakfast, right?" Jihoon said proudly.

 

Taeil shook his head, "Even though she didn't like me that much, my mum actually made me breakfast when I was little,"

 

Jihoon pouted, "But your first partner to ever make you breakfast?"

 

Taeil nodded, "Yes,"

 

Jihoon giggled, "Good!"

 

They shared a smile and continued with their breakfast, before Jihoon broke the silence,

 

"By the way, my parents wants to meet you,"

 

Taeil stared at the younger, "What did you just say?"

 

"That my parents wants to meet you," Jihoon repeated.

 

Taeil still stared, toast mid-air, "Have you told them about us?!"

 

"Yes?" Jihoon said, "I told them about my uality two years ago, which they'd already figured out, and since then I don't really keep anything from them. So yeah, they know I have you and wants to meet you."

 

Jihoon talked too fast and Taeil tried to calm his sudden nerves down.

 

"Hey," Jihoon held his hand, "My parents are nice and they will treat you well. Since I've become much happier lately, they already like you."

 

Taeil groaned and put his toast down, "I'm not good with parents."

 

"Don't worry! You don't even have to talk to them, just be there and enjoy the dinner."

 

"Dinner?!"

 

"I can't just bring you to my house and introduce you then leave." Jihoon snorted.

 

"Why not?"

 

Jihoon raised an eyebrow.

 

"It will be awkward, Jihoon! So very awkward."

 

"That's ok," Jihoon shrugged, "I said you don't have to talk to them."

 

Taeil groaned again.

 

"You're working today, right?" Jihoon asked, "When are you off?"

 

Taeil gave him a look, "Why are you wondering?"

 

"Well they-"

 

"Do they want to meet me today?"

 

"Um, yeah they-"

 

"Jihoon!!" Taeil threw his arms out in despair.

 

"Isn't that ok?"

 

"NO!" Taeil screamed, "I'm not prepared,"

 

"What do you need to prepare?"

 

"My mental state?!"

 

"Ok ok! Calm down," Jihoon walked over to him, "Look, it's nothing to be afraid of," he poked the elder's cheek, "I know you don't have the best experiences with parents but mine are not yours. They will not judge you, I promise."

 

"We'll see about that," Taeil whispered but Jihoon pressed his lips against his sofly.

 

"I promise,"

 

~

 

Working was frustrating. Partly because the hours where ticking faster towards the evening - meaning dinner with Jihoon's family, but also because of Jaehyo endlessly nagging about everything.

 

"-and then she just left! Saying she had fallen for someone more attractive than me!" the tall boy complained, "I mean, excuse you, but someone more attractive than me?! I am the most ing attractive man in Seoul! I gave her gifts, I paid her meals and even planned our first night the way she wanted!,"

 

"Maybe you should start dating normal girls," Taeil sighed, "Don't go after those who just want to use your face for a good instagram picture. Why not try dating someone who doesn't only care about your face and money,"

 

Jaehyo rolled his eyes, "Being hot means dating hot girls."

 

Taeil snorted, "No? Being hot means nothing different from being ugly."

 

"Ugly guys don't get hot girls."

 

"They do though?"

 

Jaehyo laughed, "Have you seriously seen an ugly guy date a hot girl?"

 

"Yes, I have," Taeil said, "You fall in love with a person, Jaehyo. Not someones face."

 

"You're just saying that because you suddenly fell in love with a guy when you thought you were straight," Jaehyo mocked, "You where chasing and ing just as many girls as I do back when you were younger, just admit it. So don't come with your stupid arguments."

 

Taeil was stunned, Jaehyo was never like this, "You're an ."

 

"I'm an ? You're the biggest here," Jaehyo said with a glare, "I know your story, emo-kid. You were a complete idiot during high school, sleeping around, drinking and smoking," he laughed, "And you say I'm the ? Fake little ,"

 

Taeil couldn't believe his ears, "Don't call me fake!" he spat.

 

"Prove me otherwise," Jaehyo said and turned to walk away.

 

"What the is wrong with you?" Taeil grabbed the others' shoulder, "Don't you ing dare say that I'm fake! Maybe I was an idiot during high school,  but can't people grow up? Don't ing come here and take your anger out on me! What's wrong with you?"

 

"I'm just tired of your . You never even listen to me, why do you listen now?"Jaehyo continued with poison in his voice, "We went to the same high school and I heard all about the rumors with you and your friends. That Woohyun kid who took my friend's ity then tossed her away like rubbish! Then he even tossed you away that same way! Did he you too? I bet he did."

 

Just as Jaehyo gave him the dirtiest smirk, Taeil punched him dead-on, knocking him to the floor. "What the is wrong with you?!" Taeil screamed.

 

Jaehyo glared at him, but said nothing, and stood up slowly, massaging his jaw.

 

"Why do you bring up Woohyun now?! Don't you dare talk about him!"

 

Jaehyo snorted, "Why not?,"

 

Taeil glared at him, "Don't pretend you don't know," he hissed, "What's wrong with you today?"

 

"Can't I be tired and fed up at things as well?!" Jaehyo growled.

 

"Hey, what's going on?"

 

It was Jiho with Minhyuk, looking at them with surprised faces, "I hope you know you're at work," Minhyuk said accordingly.

 

Taeil froze as he looked around to see all the costumers staring at them, whispering with astonishing faces.

 

"Whatever you're fighting about, you should take it backstage, away from the customers," Jiho uttered seriously.

 

Jaehyo sighed and walked towards the backroom kitchen.

 

"Are you ok?" Jiho looked at Taeil, and the latter nodded.

 

"He's not acting like himself,"

 

"Should we wait here? We just came to get coffee before going back home," Minhyuk said.

 

"If you want to," Taeil answered, "I'll be back soon."

 

The two friends nodded and Jiho gave an encouraging pat on his shoulder, before he walked after Jaehyo.

 

Jaehyo sat on the floor, a pack of ice pressed to his cheek.

 

"Sorry," he said as Taeil walked inside. "I'm just tired,"

 

Taeil kneeled down, "What happened?"

 

Jaehyo sighed, "It's just that you're right. The girls I'm meeting are all the same."

 

"es?"

 

Jaehyo smiled, "I just feel like a toy they show off to their friends, and when they find a better guy they just change me without a word,"

 

Taeil nodded, "Has a lot of girls done this to you?"

 

"Everyone I've ever dated," Jaehyo muttered.

 

Taeil scratched his arm, unsure what to say, "Maybe it would be better to take a break in dating for a while?"

 

Jaehyo looked at him and shrugged, "You should at least be happy to finally have met someone,"

 

Taeil snorted, "Like everything about our relationship has been easy."

 

"Maybe not, but at least you're happy now,"

 

Taeil hesitated, "It's still a lot to work on,"

 

Jaehyo stood in front of him, "I'm sorry for lashing out on you, I didn't mean to,"

 

"I know and it's ok," 

 

"It's not ok really, especially about that Woohyun,"

 

Taeil gave a weak smile.

 

"I know we're not that close, since we're pretty much total opposites, but I'm here if you need to talk to anyone outside of Jihoon's circle of friends," Jaehyo said and put the ice package down, "Guess they're the only ones you talk to?" 

 

Taeil was silent for a while, "Thank you," he answered, "And I'm sorry I haven't treated you like a friend,"

 

Jaehyo smiled, "It's alright, I counted you as a friend anyway."

 

Taeil smiled back at the other, "Cheesy,"

 

Jaehyo face lit up as he laughed.

 

~

 

Taeil and Jaehyo exited the room and was met by Jiho and Minhyuk,

 

"You guys alright?" Jiho asked, giving Jaehyo a suspicious look.

 

"Yeah," Taeil answered, turning to Jaehyo, "I take my 15 minutes-break now, if that's ok?"

 

Jaehyo nodded and went to continue working.

 

Jiho, Minhyuk and Taeil sat down by a nearby table, "You ok?" Minhyuk asked.

 

"No, I mean yes, but no," Taeil stuttered.

 

"What does that even mean?" Jiho snickered.

 

Taeil exhaled, "I mean I'm ok with Jaehyo, but I'm meeting Jihoon's parents tonight and I'm freaking out,"

 

They both started to laugh and Taeil felt miserable, "Shut up,"

 

"Don't worry, it's always awkward the first time," Minhyuk assured.

 

"Yeah, he's been there so he knows," Jiho smiled, "Don't worry,"

 

Taeil sighed, "You don't understand,"

 

Minhyuk put a hand on his shoulder, "It'll be ok, I promise."

 

"Jihoon's parents are like a gift from God, Taeil. You don't need to worry!" Jiho finished.

 

 

Taeil had never been this nervous and anxious before. He felt sick.

this stupid , why did I agree to this...

 

He took a deep breath, Jihoon would come any minute to pick him up.

 

It'll be ok, don't worry Taeil, it will be- "Who am I kidding? It will not be ok!"

 

"Taeil!"

 

Taeil jumped, heart racing even more at the sudden call.  he's here.

 

"Hi, are you ready?" Jihoon hugged him warmly.

 

"N-not really,"

 

Jihoon grinned, "Don't worry! Come on, we'll take the subway from here. It takes around 20 minutes to get there."

 

"Jihoon I'm not sure if-"

 

The younger turned to him and leaned in closer, "If it gets bad, we will go back to your place," he said, "I promise."

 

Taeil knew that was supposed to calm him down but it didn't. Jihoon his cheek and took his hand, intertwining their fingers, "Let's go."