Runaway

Just Love Me, For Me

 

"Kris, I..well" The young adult stammered as he stared at the floor. His hands bunching and clenching at the bottom of his school uniform.

"Hurry up, I have practice." He flinched at the annoyed tone. Kai could do this.

"I love you." Did he shout or whisper that?

 

*Scoff*

"Took you long enough." He looked up at Kris.

"What?" The older held his hand up.

"Stop talking." He looked at Kai. "Listen, this," He waved his hand between them. "Is flattering and all but give up. I don't want to date you. I don't even want to be talking to you right now." He hoisted his bag over his shoulder. "The only reason I am now is to be fair with the girl's confessions." Kris put his hand on Kai's shoulders. "I don't like you and never will. You can stop staring and trying to talk to me. Goodbye Kai." He walked away. Kai turned a choked sound into a cough. He could feel himself start to cry and quickly left the empty hall.

 

His confession likes to make its way to the front of his mind from time to time. Like now, on his way home from school. Kris' annoyance turned into hate not long after. Kai didn't leave him alone; he couldn't. The older turned most of the school against him by simply stating he didn't like Kai.

 

Kai can't help his feeling's no matter how hard he tries. It's not like he can explain that to him before the first punch is thrown. It was just a stupid confession from a year ago that turned into a verbal and eventually physical attacks. A 'sorry' won't save him now.

 

He shook his head. Kai needs to get home. To his loving family and definitely not abusive father. He sighed and got his key out. His father's yelling echoed in the hall of their apartment complex. Whatever energy Kai had was instantly drained out of him.

"Come on guys, you're gonna make the neighbors call the cops again. We all know how-" Kai stopped at the sound of a slap. He covered his ears so he didn't have to hear his mother's scream.

"He's our son!" She yelled.

"That thing isn't my son!" Kai felt his body stutter before he quickly went to his room. I have to leave. "Just wait till he gets home."

 

Kai quickly changed and kicked his shoes off for a pair of sneakers. He got a bag and started to shove clothes and a small blanket into it. Kai began to panic when he couldn't find his wallet.

"Calm down." He stopped to take a breath. "Calm down." After finally finding it in his school bag, he slipped it in his pocket.

 

He has his clothes, wallet, phone charger and- jacket. He should bring a jacket. Once it was on he got his window open. It was a good thing he was only on the second floor. This fire escape doesn't exactly look the safest.

"Need to be careful." He whispered and dropped his bag onto the asphalt before jumping down. "Now what?" The school boy got his backpack on.

"Kai?" Someone called from the window.

"Run." He took off.

"Kai!" Someone else screamed but he kept going.

 

He didn't know how far he ran but it felt like it had been hours. Kai hunched over and put his hands on his knees. His chest hurt with every breath and he was amazed his legs didn't hurt.

"Damn it." He huffed and looked up. He doesn't even know where he is. Or if he has enough for a motel room. Kai looked around, no motel, fast food place, not even a convenience store. With a sigh, he pushed himself on. Eventually he found a nicely lit park. Checking his phone it was 10:13 pm.

 

It's getting late and cold out by the looks of it. With nowhere indoors to stay, Kai found a bench. He could hear that people were still hanging around and he hoped they would stay away from him. The runaway took his bag off and relished from the weight being off his shoulders. Using it as a pillow he laid down.

 

The pain in his legs was starting to creep in. He turned over to face the back of the bench. Maybe he could even sleep in tomorrow. Finding a job would be nice too. Kai felt a weird sensation over his body so he opened his eyes.

"Kris?" He sat up. "What are you doing here?" The older stared at him in silence as he moved to face the front of the bench. He was holding a basketball. The tips of his hair wet from sweat, he must have been practicing. Kai felt awkward and small under his gaze. The school boy motioned to his bag with his eyes.

"What are you doing here?" Kris asked.

"I was going to sleep." He mumbled and pulled his bag close.

"Why?" To the younger's surprise, he sat next to him. The basketball at his feet.

"Why do you care? I get you probably come here a lot but I'm only here for the night." Kris nodded like he realized something.

"So you ran away." Damn it. "Why?"

"Again, why do you care? This is the most interest you've had in me for months." Kris made an annoyed face but Kai refused to give in.

"Just say it already."

"I like how you think your anger scares me." He groaned before getting up. Kris seemed to be working something out in his head. He cursed then grabbed Kai's bag.

"Hey"

"You're such a ing nuisance." He took his ball and walked away. Kai was quick to follow after him.

"What are you doing?” Kai could feel fear rise up.

"I'm not letting you stay here." Wait..no He panicked.

"I'll-I'll leave okay? I won't stay here." He grabbed onto the rich teens arm to stop him. "Please-don't get the cops involved. I'm sorry. I’ll leave okay, I’ll leave." Kai was gripping Kris a bit too tight but he was too panicked to realize. The cops will only take him to his parents who will reject him. “Please don’t.” They looked at each other.

"Kai, I wasn't, I wasn't calling the cops.” He let go.

"Oh"

"I may hate you but even I'm not gonna let you stay out here. Stay with me for the night. As much as I dislike you, I'm not going to let you freeze." Kai nodded. What else was he supposed to say? "Come on." Kai followed quietly. He's letting me stay with him? Kris, the same person responsible for the bruise on my stomach and the cut on the back of my right hand.

 

He absentmindedly brushed his fingers over it. It was almost gone but the skin was still rough. Kai would ask for his bag but, he was feeling Kris won't just hand it over.

 

They exited the park and a car was waiting. Of course it was expensive. Why wouldn't it be? Someone excited the car, the driver, and opened the door. Kai clenched his jaw to hold back a sour comment. He got in first and Kris put his bag between them.

 

If he really needed to, he could open the door, take his bag and run. His stamina is no match for Kris' though. And his legs feel numb from all the running earlier.

"If you're staying with me then I need to know why you left."

"Oh so you're only saving me to find out why?" Pause. "My parents were going to throw me out." Kris was being nice for once. I shouldn't be mean. Even if he has ulterior motives.

"Why would they do that?"

"Because I'm gay?" He shrugged. "I don't know. People don't like me."

"I see." Kai refused to look at him.

"Do you though?" He didn't mean to say that out loud. "Thank you." Kai quickly followed with. "For letting me stay with you." Kris was silent for several minutes.

"You look like crap. Take a nap. It'll be a bit before we get there." Kai nodded. He still thought this was an elaborate joke but he was exhausted. He ran for so long and he hasn't eaten since this morning.

 

"Hey Kai, we're here."

"Oh" He yawned and his whole body felt sluggish.

"Come on. Get your bag." Kai almost fell forward when someone else opened the door. "Get out of the car." Kris said impatiently. Ignoring him, the servants, the maids and the mansion of a house, Kai took his time getting out. It hurt to walk. "Are you serious?" He got to the older.

"I ran." Kai admitted.

"What?"

"I ran. I didn't take a leisurely walk when I left. It's called 'runaway' for a reason. My legs hurt."

"Come on." His tone was nicer and they slowly made it inside. Kai kept his gaze on the marble floor. They went up a flight of stairs and down a hall before finally, Kris opened a door. "This is my room." This room alone felt bigger then Kai's parents' apartment. He awkwardly stood about.

 

Kris set the basketball in a basket off to the side before motioning Kai to him. His crush took his bag and set it on the day bed.

"You'll sleep here tonight." He stated calmly. Kris left  the bathroom when Kai remained quiet. When the older was out of sight; Kai sat down. He felt so out of place but his legs hurt. He felt light headed from lack of food and water but felt too awkward to say anything. Kris came back with a few blankets and set them next to the younger.

"Hey Kris?" He's gonna get annoyed with me.

"What?"

"Why are you doing this? Helping me?"

"One, your should be ing grateful and not asking stupid questions. Two, I already told you."

"Okay." He looked down. "Kris?"

"Yeah?" He exhaled.

"Thank you." He turned away but looked back a few seconds later. Kai was startled when Kris lifted his hand towards him. He's going to hit me. Kris made a displeased sound and moved away.

"It's late, I'm going to take a shower. Do you have clothes to sleep in?"

"Yeah." Kai went to pull his clothes out as Kris moved around the room. He waited till the water to change. After putting the clothes he was wearing up, he touched one of the blankets. It was soft but brought no comfort. So he got the small one he packed out.

 

I never thought I’d be in Kris’ house. Definitely not in his room. Kris being nice but for what? Cause I ran away? There’s no way after a year of constant bullying would he suddenly be nice just because of that. I don’t understand. There’s something else here. Something else he’s planning. I’ve given him the perfect chance to do it too. I’m such an idiot. I shouldn’t have let him get a hold of my bag.

 

Kai was so absorbed in the possibilities of why, he didn’t hear the water turn off. His mumbling drowned out the sound of Kris leaving the bathroom. The rich kid touched the youngers shoulder, making him jump in surprise. Kris let out a laugh. I’ve never heard him laugh like that before. It’s cute.

“You’re such an idiot.” He shook his head and walked away. “Come here.” Kai awkwardly sat on his bed. “I know you’re tired so I’ll keep it quick.” Kai carefully got up and walked over. His legs still burned but he tried not to let it show. “Since you’re staying with me, I’ll try not to hit you.” How promising. “You’re a guest now.”

“Thanks.” I guess. There was a small amount of silence. Kris looked at Kai like he wanted to say something else.

“You can go to bed.” Kai nodded and went back. What was that? He let out an exhale once he laid down. The exhaustion was clouding his thoughts. Kai’s body felt heavy, a few seconds of nausea. Maybe he’ll get more then a few hours of sleep tonight.

 

When Kai woke up, everything felt wrong. The room was being lit up from a lamp by Kris’ bed. As much as Kai wanted to stay put, he sat up. Kris was sitting in bed on his phone. His clothes were different. Kai rarely sees him out of school uniform.

“You’re staring.” He stated calmly.

“Sorry.” Kai looked at his hands embarrassed. “Have you been up long?”

“Maybe an hour.” He set the phone down. “Are you hungry?” Kai nodded. “Stay here.” The rich teen left.

“Okay.” Kai mumbled and took his time standing up. It hurts but he needs to change. It felt like he was in the bathroom for an hour but Kris hadn’t returned. Kai sat back down, his back against the wall and started to doze off.

 

Kris

 

The teen scoffed at seeing his new guest asleep again. Although now he doesn’t need to explain anything. What a mess. He shook his head. Even he wouldn’t be cruel enough to leave someone homeless. To think he was ready to freeze like that. Kris was sure if he bothered to use his head, he would have found a place to stay.

 

There was a gentle knock on the door. Kris stayed where he was as the maids came in to set the table with food. He waited until they left to wake Kai.

“Hey.” Kris put his hand on the younger’s shoulder. The runaway tiredly moved his hand and buried his face in the bed. “Cute.” He mumbled. “Kai.” Kris raised his voice.

“What?” Came his muffled voice.

“The food is ready.” Kai sluggishly opened his eyes as Kris walked to the table.

"Oh." Kris sat down and began eating as normal. The other took his time in joining him. "Thank you."

"Mm." Why are you thanking me idiot? Kris was surprised he had manners.

"Um Kris?:

"What?" He drank his tea.

"Can I use your shower?"

"Go for it. There are towels in the cabinet. Use whatever you want."

"Thank you." Kai left the table, he barely ate anything. Kris shook his head and went back to his bed when he was done. He sent a message to the maids to clean everything up. He sat there for a few moments before sighing and pinching the bridge of his nose.

I didn't think this through. I took him in for the night but now what? He has nowhere to go, sending him off will do nothing.

 

*Knock Knock*

"Come in!" He shouted a bit too hard. The young adult watched as the maids cleaned. When they left he drowned himself in his phone and thought.

"Kris?" The younger exited the bathroom. He was too wrapped up in thought to notice. "Kris." A burning sensation blossomed through his shoulder. He quickly grabbed their arm, turned them and restrained them without a second thought. "Ow! I'm sorry!" Kai winced.

" Kai." He let go. The younger moved away and put his hand to his arm. "You startled me."

"Apparently." He replied bitterly. "I didn't mean to." He added a bit more softer.

"Are you okay?" He nodded but kept his distance. Kris let out a breath before saying, "Are you going to be okay here?"

"Yeah."

"A maid will be in the hall if you need anything. Stay in here." Kris left the room. He walked down the hall; to the main entrance. Taking a right, he walked for a few minutes through this maze of a house. Going down halls and through locked room’s before seeing a servant in front of a red door. "Report."

"Male, mid fifties, intoxicated. He should be sobered up by now Master Kris."

"Send Irene to post outside my bedroom. Kai isn't to leave."

"Understood Master Kris." He went into the room.

 

When he finally made it back to Kai it had been hours. The older was interested to know what he had gotten into. He opened the door with no warning, it was his room after all. Kai sat up alarmed. However upon realizing it was just Kris, he laid back down. Had he been sleeping?

"Hey." He tiredly greeted.

"Hey." Kris sat on his bed and got his phone. "What have you been doing?"

"Sleeping." After quickly scanning his message he set it back down.

"Did a maid come in?"

"One did. She got the hamper then left."

"I see." Pause. "Is your arm okay?"

"Yeah. Why did you do that?" Kai sat up.

"When I get lost in thought I block everything out. My first instinct when you touched me was to restrain you."

"Okay so what do I do then? When I need your attention?"

 

Kai

 

Why is he like that? Kai sighed and laid back down. I thought I knew him but I'm realizing I don't. He let out another deep sigh.

"It must be nice. Having people do everything you want. A chef to cook all your meals, never having to worry about anything. No bills or next month's rent. You'd have all the money you'd ever need."

"It's not that great." When did he get back? "It's lonely. I hardly see my parents. Haven't seen the rest of my family in years. With the exception of a few people on the team, people are only my 'friends' because of my wealth."

"Maybe for you." Kris looked at him. The shock quickly turned into bitterness. "The loneliness I understand. I don't even know the rest of my family. But, I would rather have money then nothing. I'd rather have people talk to me instead of acting like I don't exist. Like I'm beneath them. I don't even care that they'd be paid to do it.

"My dads a piece of but I guess I wouldn't want to never see my mom again. Then again, I'm doing fine right now so maybe it doesn't matter." Kai continued to look Kris in the eyes. Even when the older turned away. "I guess when your life is already , you'll take everything to make it not." Kris moved to sit on his bed.

"I suppose we understand each other. To an extent." Kai nodded in agreement. "You must have had someone."

"I did. My ex." I miss him more now then ever.

"Your ex?" Is it really that surprising?

"Yeah. I've been in a relationship before." That might have been a bit too harsh but Kai didn't care. "His name was Kyungsoo."

"How long did you date?"

"About five or six months. We knew each other for years though."

"Why'd you break up?" Why are you so interested?

"I moved here." Kai laughed sadly. Kris turned away and mumbled,

"So you didn't turn gay because of me?" Kai's bright laughter made the older grimace.

"Seriously?" He just about yelled amused.

"Hey it's not my fault! People suddenly started telling me I made someone gay." Kai continued to laugh.

"That's so stupid. I mean to figure it out yes you start to like men but that takes months or weeks. They are always hints before."

"Oh."

"I can’t believe you believed them. You either don't care or are just ignorant." Kai went quiet as Kris' words sank in. "Wait, you said people told you? How long did you know?”

"It wasn't exactly hard to figure out. I could always feel your eyes on me and sometimes I'd catch glimpses of you in the corner of my eye. Always in the back." Kai swallowed. He didn't know what to say. With an exhale, he softly asked,

"Kris, why am I still here? I'm glad you took me in but you don't like me. I'm sure we can agree you hate me. You let me stay the night so why am I still here?"

 

Kris

 

“I don’t know.” He felt a bubble in his chest. “Would you prefer outside?” That was harsh. “Wait Kai.”

“No, no it’s okay. I’m sorry for asking.” He looked away but it was only for a moment before he looked back at the older with an intense gaze. “I don’t understand something with you. It’s like something’s holding you back. Or prevents you from saying what you want.”

“I don’t know.” He looked down at his phone. “You’re here and you can stay if you want. I don’t know what’s gonna happen if you do. I don’t want to hurt you.” What is holding me back? He’s not the only one to ask me that. Tao and Xiumin have too.

“Then why have you?”

“I don’t know.” Kris stood and gave Kai his back.

“You don’t know? You don’t know why you’ve hurt me countless times? Don’t know why every time you saw me, you pushed me down?” Kai turned him. “How can you not know why you’ve done all the you’ve done?”

“Because I don’t!” Kris pushed him away. “I don’t ing know. I saw you at the park and my first thought was to leave but every time I looked away the thought of you freezing kept coming in my head. You should be ing thanking me for letting you stay here. You should be grateful I’m helping you. Gods damn it I ing hate you but-” Just like that Kris’ anger depleted. He took a step back and exhaled. “But you’re here. You’re here and you can leave if you want but I can’t guarantee what I’ll do. I also can’t guarantee what I’ll do if you stay.” He calmed and was confused to see Kai on the floor. , I pushed him down didn’t I? The younger looked up at Kris with a look he couldn’t describe. Kai stood up and walked to him. He stepped back till he hit the wall. “What are you doing?” Anger. It was anger and sadness in his eyes. Kris froze when Kai’s head hit his shoulder.

“I hate you.” He whispered.

“What?”

“I hate you so much. You yell at me, hit me, treat me like but.. *inhale* But you help me. I don’t understand why you do or say what you do. I hate you so much but no matter what I do, it doesn’t stop the rest of me from loving you.” Kris placed his hand on Kai’s arm. He wasn’t sure if it was comforting or not but the only time they touch is in a fight. After everything he still feels that way?

“You say that, but you’re the one I don’t understand.” Kris gently hit his head on the wall.

“To be fair, you are holding me right now.” He laughed.

“You’re ridiculous. I didn’t mean to push you.”

“I was kind of being a jerk.” Kai stepped back.

“Come on, we can walk to the dining room.” Kris could tell he was being strange as they walked the halls. “I’m not going to yell at you for looking. Just don’t touch anything.”

“I won’t.” Kai led but the older was making sure they were going the right way.