CH.3

Obsession

It’s been almost an entire week since Zoey and Siwon’s dinner. And since then Zoey has been getting on Rylie’s nerves with her nonstop talk about her and Siwon. When Rylie asked if she could stop talking about him as much Zoey said she was sorry it’s just she liked him for so long and now they were together. “I understand the feeling but it’s all you ever talk about.”

“Sorry. Oh have you seen the latest issue this magazine?”

“Yeah I did. I think they were focusing on that group… Super Junior and how much they go around raising money for various institutions and charities.” Rylie took a drink of Sprite. “Isn't Siwon one of the members?

"You've been living in the same building as him for this long and still don't know?!" Zoey swatted her friend with the rolled up magazine.

“I'm sorry!” Rylie tried to block a few swats as she laughed at Zoey's disbelief. "You know I'm still not really into the KPop scene. BUT I'M TRYING! There's just so many. Why does there have to be so many?!" She flung a throw pillow at the attacking girl. Both stopped and chuckled a bit before Zoey remembered that she forgot to get all the ingredients for tonight's dinner.

“Hey, can you do me a favor and run to the store to pick some things up for dinner? I want to take a quick shower.”

“Yeah, sure,” Rylie was waiting for the elevator. When DING! the doors swished open; inside was Siwon, also on his way out.

“Going down?” he asked smiling.

“Yeah,” she stepped in and behind her was Mrs. Yun, the little old lady next door to Rylie and Zoey.

“I haven’t had time to talk to you lately,” Siwon said.

“Been really busy at work; everybody keeps getting sick.”

“How about we go-,” he started.

“I saw that magazine that your group was recently mentioned in. You guys are pretty amazing. Even though honestly I didn't realize you where in it.” Rylie cut in before Siwon could finish his question. He was off limits; she wasn’t supposed to have a crush on her roommate’s boyfriend; so she didn’t want to hang out with him for fear she would fall in love. The elevator doors opened and Rylie rushed out. “Sorry to rush off but I have a lot of errands to run, talk to you later.”

“Wait up,” Siwon grabbed Rylie’s arm.

“Ow! Loosen up that hurts.”

“You’ve been avoiding me…”

“No I haven't, I’ve just been really busy…”

“Yes you have. Ever since my dinner with Zoey you’ve been avoiding me. I was thinking that maybe we could go out sometime.”

“Siwon you’re really hurting my arm. Besides, what about Zoey? It would upset her if I went out with you.”

“This has nothing to do with Zoey!”

“Yes, it does. She’s my friend and I don’t want to hurt her. NOW LET GO!” Rylie tried to be stern but tears were welling up in her eyes.

“Rye, I… I’m sorry. I don’t know what came over me.” Before he could finish she was gone out of the building and down the street. When she felt she was far enough away, she stepped into an alley way. Leaning against the wall she tipped her head back and let the tears fall. She was like that for some time until she was roused from her thoughts by her ringing phone; it was Zoey wondering where she was.

“Zoey I need to talk to you. Do you think you could meet me at that cafe we met at when I moved here?”

“Of course Hun, whatever you want. I’ll be right there.” Zoey was concerned, her friend sounded weird, she hoped she was alright.

Zoey walked into the cafe and saw her roommate was sitting in a corner all the way in the back. She walked over and sat down. “So what’s up? You sounded so upset on the phone.” Rylie didn’t say anything because the waitress walked up. The girls ordered some drinks and Zoey wanted a slice of pie.

Once the waitress left Rylie finally spoke, “Um… it’s about Siwon.” She managed to say.

“What about him?” Zoey said, her voice filled with concern. “Did he say something to you?”

“Sort of; it’s probably nothing; maybe I’m reading too much into it but you’re my friend and you deserve to know.”

“What is it? I can’t take the suspense any longer!”

“I think he asked me out on a date...”

Zoey was silent for a moment; eyes wide.“What did you say?!”

“Don’t get upset. Here’s what happened,’ Rylie explained what happened in the elevator that morning. When she was done talking, she looked up at Zoey who was sitting across the table with a blank expression on her face. Rylie took it as shock, “Don’t worry I’m sure it was nothing.” She tried to cheer up her friend.

“No…yeah I’m sure it’s nothing. It’s just…I can’t believe he would take it this far.” Zoey bit her lip as she paused to figure out how best to tell her friend what was on her mind. “Siwon’s been pressuring me to have with him." She blurted out. "He said if I wouldn’t sleep with him he’d find someone who would. I didn’t know he’d bring you into it. I’m so sorry,” Zoey buried her face in her hands.

Rylie slid in next to Zoey and put her arms around her shoulders. “Oh sweetie, I’m sorry. It’ll all work out.” She rubbed her shoulder soothingly.

“I’ll have to talk to him,” Zoey sighed.

“Do you want me to go with you?”

“No. I need to do this alone. But I’ll see you later tonight?” Zoey couldn’t keep the desperation from her voice.

“Of course, I’ll wait up for you.” Rylie is such a good friend.