CH.5

Obsession

That night she waited up for Zoey but she never came home. The next morning she was so tired but went to work anyways. Rylie left a note for Zoey asking her to ‘please call when you get this’ and taped it on Zoey’s bedroom door.

Zoey came back when she was sure Rylie had gone to work. She went directly to her room and grabbed the note off her door. She read it then balled it up and threw it away. “This is working better than I imagined!” She smirked and went in to get ready for the next step of the plan to seek revenge on Rylie.

“Rye, you look terrible!” A female regular said ordering her bagel and drink for the morning.

“Thanks!” Rylie laughed half-heartedly.

“When’s the last time you’ve slept?” The woman asked concerned.

“I don’t remember I sleep a couple minutes here and there but I dunno. I guess I have a lot on my mind lately,” she sighed.

“Well if you need someone to talk to here’s my card. Don’t worry, it’ll be off the clock,” she laughed.

“Thanks Geri, I’ll keep that in mind.” Geri was a criminal lawyer who paid her way through law school by being a shrink. She was 50 years old and looked 30. Rylie couldn’t believe that she wasn’t with anyone. She asked Geri once why that was and she said it was because she was married young and had kids. Her husband didn’t want her to work until the kids were adults. But now her kids are grown and her husband of 22 years passed away a few years back. She moved to Seoul from San Francisco five years before Rylie moved. So she told Rylie to call whenever she needed a sympathetic ear. Rylie promised to call her first if she was ever in trouble.

Rylie didn’t want to admit it but just talking with Geri for those few minutes made her feel a lot better. During her break she called the apartment and left a message on the answering machine: “Hey Zoey, its Rylie. Look I think there has been some kind of confusion between you, me, and Siwon. I think we should sit down and talk this all out. I mean, Siwon said some weird stuff to me up on the roof and it’s been bugging me all day,” Rylie sighed deeply, “we’ll talk about it when I get home tonight…”

“Oh we’ll talk alright.” Zoey said, pushing the erase button on the answering machine. She left the apartment to meet up with a friend of hers for lunch.

“Zoey I’m home. I’m late because the people on 2nd shift took forever to arrive. I mean, how come they have to be so slow?’ Rylie hung her coat up and looked around the apartment…empty. “I’ll just lie down and catch up on some sleep.” She walked into her room, kicked off her shoes and fell into bed. Once her head hit the pillow she was out like a light.

Around 10 at night Zoey crept into the apartment quietly. She knew Rylie would be sleeping at this time. She walked slowly through the living room and stopped at Rylie’s bedroom door. “Awe, she’s so cute when she sleeps! I don’t know how many times I’ve told her to cover up; these cold New York nights could kill.” Zoey walked into Rylie’s room and along the side of her bed. She sat down on the edge and pushed a strand of hair out of her sleeping roommate’s face, careful not to disturb the sleeping girl’s slumber. “So innocent I can’t help but forgive you of your faults when I see you like this…if only you would stay asleep. Let me help you with that!”

Zoey took a small bottle out of her coat pocket; it was wrapped in some kind of cloth. She twisted the cap off and covered the opening with the cloth. Tipping the bottle to saturate the cloth with the contents, she looked around Rylie’s room. “So tidy what a freak!”

“Mm…Zoey? That you… we need to talk.” She tried sitting up only to be gently pushed back down by Zoey’s hand.

“Not now you need to rest. I know you’ve had problems with that so I got you a little something…it’ll knock you right out,” Zoey smiled.

“I don’t want any-“

“I insist!” Zoey put the cloth covered in chloroform over Rylie’s face and held it in place until Rylie stopped struggling and lay against her limply. “See I told you…knocks ya right out.” Pushing Rylie off her Zoey stood up and walked to the front door. She opened it up and allowed a big, muscular man to enter, “hurry up before anyone sees!” she hissed.

“Yeah ok I got it just get the door behind me.” Zoey followed the man down the stairs as he carried Rylie out the back of the building and into a waiting van.

“Time to wake up sleepy head!” Zoey waved some smelling salt under Rylie’s nose; causing the girl to jerk awake. “Did you sleep well? I know, I know we need to talk so go right ahead.” Zoey watched and waited. “Nothing? Well then how about I say something…”

Rylie sat up and noticed her hands were tied together and there was a gag in . She looked imploringly at Zoey for help but she was too busy talking about how Rylie was in the way and needed to disappear. “Mmnmh!” Rylie tried to yell.

“Now, now don’t try to talk with your mouth full. Max turn down that alley.”

“Yes ma’am!” Max, the muscular man, drove down the alley that Zoey indicated.

“Where were we? Oh yeah,” Zoey pulled out a knife, “you need to go away because all you do is get in the way of me and Siwon. I can’t let that happen.”

“Mmhoey?!” Rylie’s eyes grew huge as she took in all that Zoey was saying.

“Goodbye my dear, sweet Rylie it’s been a blast knowing you.” Zoey raised the knife over her head.

“Hurry up girl I don’t want to be here all night. Someone’s coming.” Max warned.

Rylie clenched her eyes shut and moved to the side as Zoey brought the knife down. The blade was buried deep into her flesh. The pain was such a shock that Rylie passed out.

Zoey pulled the knife out and pushed the unconscious girl out into a pile of garbage. She slammed the door shut and Max sped away.