Chapter IV

The Runaway

"Hey, I think this calls for a celebratory dinner, don't you think, guys?" Bea grinned happily as we exited the meeting room. "Say, I found this restaurant over by downtown, it's called Samwon Garden, it features a menu with an array of Korean food, I mean, seriously, aren't we getting tired of our usual foie gras and couer filet de bouef?" 

"I think that's a good idea," Marie commented. "I mean, Viola looked as if she might faint up front while giving her speech." I blushed as the girls began to laugh. "She started speaking in French and I all I could hear in my brain is 'Oooh, here we go, here we go.' " 

"Usually that indicates that it's either she's pissed or she might piss her pants," Carrie smirked. "But overall, good job, guys. Anyway, so, I had something that I really wanted to tell you all! Like, a while ago-" She trailed off with her story, as I moved towards a vending machine and bought a bottle of water. I went over to the corner, wherein I could still see the girls within my sight range, and began to drink. God, that has to be most nerve-wracking experience of my life. I saw EXO exit the room, and the mystery guy had once again looked at me. 'What's his problem,' I asked myself. As if he heard my thoughts run in mad circles in my brain, he moved towards me. ', what should I do? Does he have the ability to read minds or something? Telepathy and whatnot?' 

"Hey," He smiled at me. "Congratulations on your contract!" He greeted me. "Amazing speech you had there." Okay, just play it cool, now. But, god, I don't know why, but I can't stop looking at him, or even accidentally meeting his eye. The feeling is so different when Tao stares, though, with this guy I can hold my stare for as long as possible, feel...at ease with him, as if I had known him for a long time, and god, my palms are sweating. I cleared my throat, as it had just manage to run dry.

"Thank you," I said meekly. "Nearly died out there, you know," I joked. Or at least I tried to, he only furrowed his eyebrows together, in confusion. "You guys are a tough crowd. Especially those girls up front." 

"Oh, don't worry about them. We were just surprised to hear, earlier this year, that a foreign band was going to try their hand at SM. And well, some of the other groups didn't take it lightly. But EXO, my group, really wanted to meet you guys, to you know make your stay in Korea easier. No man's an island, as they would say, right? And not to mention, some of us are fans, we saw you guys in Germany," He flashed his pearly whites at me, and I almost felt my knees give way. "So, I heard you accidentally took one of our members's bag. He hadn't stopped talking about it to me how amusing it was to coincidentally meet Allegro's famous leader." 

"I'm not exactly famous, but yeah, Tao had done the favour of showing us around downtown, after nearly stealing his bag. It would have been more of a complication if I left the airport carrying his cabin luggage." I looked at my feet, and I was surprised to see it involuntarily shuffling. What's the matter with me? "I'm sorry I didn't quite catch your name, though," I tried to break the deafening silence.

"Suho," He chortled. Ah, so this was who Tao was mentioning earlier. "You're not good at conversations as well, are you?" I shook my head. "Well, me too. Being the leader, the burden for us is that we do all the talking for our members." 

"Tell me about it," I grinned. I looked back at the spot where my members are....were. "Oh my god." 

"What?" He asked worriedly. 

"They're gone, oh god, no, they're gone," I began to panic. "My god, my group! They left me behind, holy mother of-" I rambled on and on. "And ugh, none of them brought phones from what I remember, they haven't taken it out of their carry on luggages! What do I do?" 

"Do you at least know where they're going?" Suho asked kindly. "We'd be happy to drop you off there." My eyes widened. Gosh, I wish Lily were here. She'd know how to handle my trust issues. "Ah, sorry, that made you feel uncomfortable, but hey, no malice intended, but seriously, I'd be happy to introduce you to the group, and have our service drop you off." My brain continued to say 'no', but then, I remembered Lily's words, and mine as well. 'We're here to make connections.' And though I may be acting against my morals of being reserved, I had to do this. Even if I had to die lying about it. 

"Samwon Garden, that's the place they mentioned," I replied. "But ugh, they might change plans!' 

"It's alright, we'll bring you there to check, if they're not there, then, we might as well just have dinner with the boys and drop you off back at your hotel, which is-?"

"Fraser Suites, just a few blocks away from Chungmuro stations. But no, it's okay, I think I can manage-"

"This is your first day here, we can't have you getting lost. It's not a big deal, we'll bring you back before 10 pm, just so to not worry your group. Come on," He held out his hand, with which I shakily took. He nodded at me, kindly, once. "Don't tense up, it's okay." 

"Sorry, it's just that, I'm not used to how open you guys are," I admitted. "I mean, back in Paris, people barely talk to each other, and if you would randomly help a stranger, people would call you unconventional," I explained. "Paris-they call it the city of love, but for me, I honestly think it's the city of reserve and conventional tradition." 

"Well, they call Seoul the city of the future," Suho remarked. "The old ways of reserve are slowly being torn down by smiles, and hospitality, although some of the traditionals and conservatives remain in the old ways. I'm having a hard time getting out of my shell as well. So, I guess we're both novices at that. But seriously, Viola Mathieu, it's not a big deal, we'll just drop you off at the hotel." 

"Alright," I gave in, despite my mental turmoil. "I'll consider myself very liberal by just holding your hand, honestly," I motioned to our intertwined hands.He attempted to remove his, but, I motioned for him to stop fidgeting since I didn't mind anyway. "But, hey, it's a start." He looked at me, and I stared right back, and for a split second there, I felt something that I haven't felt in a long time, trust me, I don't know what it is, but usually, this is how it felt like. Think of it as like getting a vaccine after having a long relapse in between and just feeling the drug spread like wildfire inside your veins, relishing each pulse of it, relieving the memories of it traveling through you like a missile, swinging your blood around like a chandelier, biting down and bearing down on you like venom. Feeling something that you believe you've become too dependent in. I don't know what it is, but I know that I feel a sense of familiarity, something like saying 'hello' to an old friend or perhaps, an enemy. 

                                                                             ♪ ♩ ♫ ♬
Meanwhile..

"You know, I think it's a good thing we left her there," Lily laughed. "Look." She pointed to the van that EXO was currently boarding, and it just so happens, that they saw Viola go in with them. "So, do we still go to Samwon Garden?" 

"Nope, we're going somewhere else. Let Viola have fun, for once," Marie suggested. "She needs the fun to enter her bloodstream." 

"Let's just hope she doesn't go back to the hotel with a baby," Veronica laughed. "I don't want to see another Viola-devil running around." 

                                                                              ♪ ♩ ♫ ♬

"Suho hyung, don't tell me you've kidnapped our new workmate," A boy with rather...funny ears joked. Everyone in the van looked at me, and greeted me politely. "Hello, I'm Chanyeol." I nodded in acknowledgement. "Here, have a seat," He said inching towards the opposite direction to offer me some space. I sat down and quietly thanked him, just as Suho decided to follow suit, Chanyeol began jokingly pushing him away. "Suho hyung can stay on the roof." 

I looked at Suho desperately asking him to sit with me, considering that I barely knew anyone in EXO, other than Tao. Ignoring Chanyeol's continuous protests, Suho obliged and I felt myself breathe a sigh of relief. Someone in front had turned around and I was met face to face by Tao. "Hey, Viola! What brings you here?" 

"Uhm, my members left me behind, for some reason. Uh, I just tagged along, because Suho said he can convince your service to drop me off at my hotel." 

"And to take you out for dinner," Suho added cheekily. Then, something different had happened. Tao's eyes darkened a bit, and a flash of competitiveness and ferocity ran through the course of his pupils. I was nearly horrified, by the sudden change in expression by a man who was normally happy-go-lucky and warm. But, before Suho could see the storm brewing within Tao's resolve, all that anger that I had witnessed melted, in a matter of seconds. "Say, Viola, where was your group headed to again? Samwon Garden was it? Kids, you okay with that?" 

"Yup," They all responded in a near-perfect chorus, a usual mannerism in a group. Suho began introducing me to the different members but upon mentioning Tao's name, I saw Tao tense up slightly. Don't tell me I've made a mess already. But other than that, the connection I've made with EXO does outweigh the brewing mess I've theoretically made between Tao and Suho. But, right now, I figured that I needed to watch my steps now, that I've walked into the snake pit. Behind me, all the members tried to socialize with me, but in return, I was just answering, awkwardly, though I did try to make some jokes, but hey, I can sing, yes, but with cracking up bits of amusement and humour, I'm not exactly the best at that craft. 

Upon arriving at Samwon Garden, I turned to Suho, "Suho, would you mind if I check first if they're inside? Uhm...how do I say this, can you...."

"Wait? Sure, of course," He responded. I exited the van and I checked in with the receptionist only to find out that they weren't there. What. Suho motioned to me asking if they were there, I shook my head. I went back to the van, and I ran my fingers through my hair, in frustration. "Looks like we're going for Plan B. We'll have dinner then we'll drop you off at your hotel." I nodded. "It's alright, consider this as a detour, it'll be alright. I'm sure they're alright." 

"You can never tell for sure," I said while climbing in the van. "You can't blame me for worrying about them, Suho. What if they get lost or something?" Suho merely shook his head in amusement. "What's so funny?" 

"You have to learn to trust your members, Viola. They're not helpless ducklings," He chortled. "So, boys, where to?"

"Song Jook Heon! Let's get some yukgaejang, hyung!" Sehun, the apparent youngest in the group, suggested excitedly from the back of the van. 

"Alright then, Viola, I hope that's okay." 

"It's alright," I reassured him. "I'm not a picky eater, though I don't exactly know what s-s-sam...(?)" 

"Yukgaejang, it's Spicy Beef Stew," Kris provided for me at the back. "And trust me, when Koreans say Spicy, it's gonna be a taste of hellfire. Been there as a newbie, my sense of taste was never the same again." 

"I think I can manage," I smirked at him. "Trust me, I'm a big girl." 

"Someone get the recorder~" Chanyeol laughed. "Looks like we'll be recording a first-time experience between Viola and Korean chili!" Everyone whooped and upon that, I suddenly began to feel a bit...intimidated. I have a really bad feeling I'm gonna regret this.