(Studio Sessions) Conversations with Gigi and Rina

Basta, Ewan, Kahit Ano: The Podcast
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Episode 8

(Studio Sessions) Conversations with Gigi and Rina


 

Few Days Before Rina First Visited Coffee, Tea, or Me

 

 

“How was it, Kat?” tanong ni Gigi sa kapapasok lang sa studio na si Rina.


 

“As usual.” Rina released a deep sigh before settling down in her swivel chair. “Rejected.”

 

 

“You'll find a better publishing company soon. Hayaan mo na 'yun.” Gigi tried her best to console Rina. This has been their routine for the past few months. 

 

 

“I don't have a choice but to move forward, Gi. You know that. BEKA won't be here forever.”

 

 

“I know and I understand.” Gigi handed her the frappe she ordered for Rina earlier. She just picked what she thinks Rina would like the most when she dropped by Ning's café before reporting to the studio for work.


 

“And I've been thinking about that, too. I mean about BEKA,” Gigi added. “Especially with what's going on right now. Although I'm glad naman na I have more people to talk about it na.” 

 

 

“How is it going pala? Are you enrolling soon?” Rina asked. 

 

 

“I'm still looking for the best program that would fit my schedule. You know what? I even opened up a bit about this kay Ning. She said she'd help me raw kasi she knows some people in the field.”

 

 

Rina examined the cup on her hand. “Is this from Ning's?” 

 

 

“Yup.”

 

 

“Napapadalas ka sa kanila ha,” natatawang sabi ni Rina bago sumipsip sa frappe na hawak niya. “Oh. I like this one. Remember this flavor.” 

 

 

“And what about it?” Gigi challenged her. “I like hanging out with them.”

 

 

“I didn't say anything about it.” Rina chuckled. “It's you who's being defensive.” 

 

 

Gigi can only roll her eyes. “Whatever. I enjoy their company kaya. They're super fun to talk to! And of course, there's Winter.”


 

That caught Rina's attention. “What about her?” 

 

 

“Wala naman. It's just…I really like talking to her. ” A smile grazed Gigi's lips while she was playing with her cup mindlessly. 

 

 

Gulat naman siyang tiningnan ni Rina. “You talk to each other?” 

 

 

“We're a lot closer than you think.” Gigi even winked at her. 

 

 

Rina faced her with a questioning stare. Now, Gigi's confused. Why is Rina suddenly acting like Winter and her being close is something that shouldn't have happened in the first place? 

 

 

“How?” Rina asked, her full attention now on Gigi. 

 

 

“Well, we text each other sometimes.” 

 

 

“You have her number?” 

 

 

“Yeah. We exchanged numbers when we first talked sa café.” Gigi smiles as she recalls the memory of that day. “Wait nga. Why are you so invested in this? You have her contact naman diba? Nabanggit mo sakin last time.”


 

“Yeah…I got it. Last time.” Rina muttered with a shy smile on her face, remembering how she got Winter's number.

 

 

“We even watched Hamilton together. Siya pa 'yung nag-stream. Ang hilig nila ni Ning sa musicals! It's so fun!” 

 

 

“And I wasn't invited to this movie night because?” Rina faced Gigi with her left eyebrow up.


 

“Girl.” Gigi pulled her seat closer to Rina. “I invited you kaya. Tapos anong sinabi mo sakin? You said you weren't in the mood for it!” 

 

 

“I didn't know it was gonna be with them!” 

 

 

“Okay, I'll pretend na hindi ko narinig 'yan and me inviting you is not enough for you to say yes.” 

 

 

“Whatever.” Rina rolled her eyes. They shared the space quietly after that. 

 

 

“You know,” it was Gigi who broke the silence a few minutes later. “It's kinda weird nga na it's so easy to open up to Winter about stuff going on in my life and that includes well, my future. She's quiet most of the time but when she speaks, she always seems to know what to say.”

 

 

Rina didn't say anything after that. Aside from their usual banters, she hasn't shared much conversations with Winter. She wonders how Gigi was able to get past Winter's walls that easily. 

 

 

And why, out of all people, is it so hard for her? 

 

 

“I don't get it.” Padabog na nilapag ni Rina 'yung frappe niya sa mesa. 

 

 

“What?”


 

“She's all rainbows and sunshines to you, tapos she's masungit sakin.” 

 

 

“Ning said she's just masungit daw to people she doesn't know or like.” Gigi remembered the conversation she had with Ning in the café when Winter was too occupied to be bothered in her usual seat.


 

Gigi turns to her, eyes wide in realization. “But Winter knows you naman so, you know, maybe…” 

 

 

“So you're saying that Winter doesn't like me?” Rina scoffed. Whatever Gigi implied is just downright unbelievable. 

 

 

How can Winter not even like her? What did Rina ever do to her? 

 

 

“You're teasing her a lot kasi!” Gigi reasons out, laughing. 

 

 

“I can't help it. It's…” Rina sighed as she tried to find the right words to explain what she feels to Gigi. “I don't know. It's just—it just feels so natural na asarin siya.”

 

 

“Then try to tone it down siguro. Maybe then she'll be less masungit to you.”

 

 

“I really don't understand. Ning's very kind to me naman.”

 

 

“Ning's such an angel. Then her eye for fashion? Chef's kiss. We went out last time nga to check this collection that I've been waiting for quite a while na and I just really enjoyed the time I spent with her—” natigilan naman si Gigi sa kanyang kwento. “Wait nga, bakit ba natin sila pinagchichismisan?”

 

 

“Ikaw kaya nagsimula.”


 

“But it's you who got super curious when I mentioned Winter!” Gigi exclaimed. “So, ikaw 'yung chismosa.” 

 

 

“Whatever, Gi.” Inirapan naman siya ni Rina. 

 

 

“Tsaka mo na ko yabangan when Winter can stand being around you na.”

 

 

“I'll prove you wrong. Watch me.” Rina glared at her before standing up to throw her now empty cup away.


 

“Did you review the material for this week's episode na?” Gigi asked when Rina came back to her seat. 

 

 

“I did. Let's start in fifteen? I wanna go home early. I miss my bed so much.” 

 

 

“Fine. That's enough chika for the day.” Gigi chuckled while going over the printed sheets of this week's release. 

 

 

It has always been Rina's habit to block anything that will cause her distraction whenever she's at work. It helps her concentrate and channel her thoughts properly and effectively whenever they shoot. 

 

 

But today, she might have made an exception. She got her phone out from her bag to send a few messages before they formally start. 

 

 

From: Rina 💙 

(4:36 PM) hey, ning. will you be in the café this friday? :) 

 

 

From: Ning

(4:45 PM) rinaaa hello!! yup, punta ka ba? lilibre pa kita!! 😚

 

 

From: Rina 💙 

(4:48 PM) is winter gonna be there, too?


 

From: Ning

(4:49 PM) oo, wala naman ganap yun sa buhay ngayon chos hahaha

 

(4:50 PM) pero tatambay lang yun dito so yes

 

 

From: Rina 💙

(4:51 PM) haha alright, ning. i'll see you both then! :) 

 

 

Rina will prove Gigi's theory wrong. She has to. 

 

 

*****

 

 

From: Kat 

(2:37 PM) which do you think is better? 

 

(2:37 PM) IMG220815.jpg

 

 

From: Giselle

(2:40 PM) i like both! the black one looks sooo sleek tho the brown one naman has a unique feel to it

 

(2:42 PM) are you buying a new camera strap? 😳 nasira na ba yung iyo? how could that happen eh you rarely use your cam kaya

 

 

From: Kat

(2:44 PM) i think i'm gonna get both na lang. thanks, giselle 😚


 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter