FOURTEENTH

He's a Young One

     I spent about an hour tossing and turning on my bed that night, unable to sleep as I thought about the new relationship I’ve just agreed on with Taehyung that evening. I bolted up from my sleeping position when the fact that I’m now Taehyung’s girlfriend registered in my mind. Oh my God, what did I just get myself into?! I admit that being someone’s girlfriend without even liking the other person is not something out of ordinary for me, but still, this is Kim Taehyung I’m talking about! He’s my classmate! Dating a classmate is a no-no for me since it will get awkward when we break up later on.

 

As my mind was still reeling in everything that happened that evening, I heard a notification sound from my phone.

 

I took my phone from the small table beside my bed and opened LINE, expecting to see my class’ group chat talking about random useless things like they always do. All I saw when I opened the application was Koo Junhwe sending a message to me. My eyes widened in shock at the unexpected message as I scrambled out of bed and stood up.

 

‘Yeoreum-noona, are you asleep?’

 

His message was short and very stupid (because it was 2 a.m., of course, people are sleeping during that hour, duh), yet I found my heart rate increase in nervousness as I braved myself to click on his message and reply to him. Holy , why am I acting like a high schooler?

 

Still standing beside my bed, I typed ‘No, I wasn’t’ before deleting it and decided that it sounded like I was eager to talk to him and typed a new reply. As I racked my head for a more decent reply, I got another message and instantly looked at it.

 

‘Haha, I know you’re not asleep, noona.’ He sent with a smirking emoticon.

 

Why this cocky kid!

 

I rolled my eyes before deciding to reply with an eye-rolling emoticon. My legs suddenly felt tired, and that was when I realized that I’ve been standing all this time, trying to reply to him. “Sheesh, why am I acting like this,” I mumbled to myself as I landed once again on the soft mattress and draped the blanket over my body. I contemplated on typing another line of a message before a new message popped up under my emoticon just then.

 

‘I’m studying English right now; can you help me, noona?’

 

Ah, that explains why he is awake at this time. What a hardworking kid. Since I can’t really put myself to sleep and I also had nothing to do tomorrow, I decided to help him with his studies.

 

‘Ok, what do you want me to help with?’

 

He then sent me a picture of his homework on simple grammar. Meh, this is easy. I explained to him the rules of the grammar in one paragraph before sending the message to him. Well, I hope I didn’t make him give up in studying, though; all the people I have taught before seemed to give up studying English whenever I teach it to them. I never had the talent for teaching, to be honest, even though my parents are teachers.

 

He took a long time to reply and I decided that I would play Candy Crush while waiting for his reply.

 

As I passed through one round and moved on to another, I started to feel sleepy. Did this kid doze off or something? He took too long to reply to my message. My mind began to wander to la-la land when the notification sound suddenly rang through my phone, making me jolted up from my trance and opened the message. He sent me a picture of his completed homework with another line of message under it, asking ‘Are the answers correct?’

 

I zoomed in the picture to see the answers before checking it for him. As I moved on to the last question, I was amazed that he got all of it correct! He actually understood my long- explanation on grammar rules just now and he applied it to the question. Wow, I suddenly feel proud of him. But then, the question was just one of the simpler parts of English, I doubt that he could keep up with the harder parts since I also had a hard time with it.

 

‘Great! Your answers are all correct! Looks like you’re not that dumb after all’ I typed, accompanied by a smirking emoticon below the line.

 

It was already 3 a.m. and I can’t deny that I already feel sleepy. Heck, I always feel sleepy, what am I talking about? I really want to sleep, but I don’t want to end this conversation just yet. Don’t get me wrong, there are still a lot of things about English I want to teach him, you know.

 

‘Really?! Yay! This is all thanks to you, Yeoreum-noona!’

 

He replied my message along with an excited sticker; he seemed really happy that he got all the questions correct that he didn’t even bother to reply to my mocking earlier. I thought as I chuckled at his cuteness. Who knew he could be this cute in messages?

 

Just when I was about to type a reply to him, he sent another message, saying, ‘I’m sorry if I disturb your sleep, noona’ and he also sent me a picture of him smiling with a caption, ‘Good night, noona! Have a good sleep and dream of me~ <3’

 

I cringed at his messages, but I couldn’t deny that the picture he sent me was really adorable; his eyes turned into little crescents when he smiled and I also noticed that he had long eyelashes, even longer than mine!

 

‘Whatever, kiddo, I’m not dreaming of you tonight.’ I replied, before deciding that it sounded too cold compared to his message earlier and typed another message under it.

 

‘Have a good night sleep too, Junhwe.’

 

**************************

 

     It was three days before finals and I just started to find all my lecture notes while I was in the library today. Way to go, I’m such a dedicated student. I always study at the last minute due to my procrastinating self which always resulted in me getting all stressed out during finals week. If anyone thought that studying Journalism is something easy, they are completely wrong. Try to memorize all the theories and books from several famous people in Journalism and tell me how ‘easy’ it is.

 

I put my stationery and lecture notes on one of the empty tables beside the window before going off to one of the racks to search for reference books. After I found the books I needed, I began my studying session and jotted down extra notes and information that I could find.

 

While I was so engrossed in my study, I felt a vibration from my phone, indicating a message. I decided to take a break from my studying session for a while and read the message I got, expecting that it was some other messages regarding my faculty clubs and Kei. When I opened the message, the only notification I saw was the name Koo Junhwe written in bold since I haven’t opened the message yet.

 

This kid seemed to be messaging me frequently these days.

 

All I got from him was a picture of him at what looks like the library, looking all serious while studying. I really want to know who took this picture of him, that person really knows well about angles since Junhwe actually looks good in this picture. I unconsciously smiled while looking at the picture; he really is studying hard for his exams. There was another line of a message under the picture, saying ‘Yeoreum-noona, I’m studying really hard right now!’ which made me chuckle.

 

Since when has he suddenly changed from a vain brat to a total cutie?

 

I think about the reply I should type before I decided to take a selfie of me holding my fist beside my face, and made a somewhat spirited expression and sending it to him along with a ‘fighting!’ line under the picture.

 

I hope that does the job, though, I’m not really good at cheering for people except for my brother.

 

As I continued back to my studying session earlier, I felt a presence in front of me and looked up to see Taehyung. He actually looked different today; I wonder what it was…. Did he get a nose job or something? Oh, he’s just wearing spectacles.

 

“You’re only studying now?” He spoke while clicking his tongue in a mocking manner before taking a seat in front of me. “Shut up, I’m just not motivated to study except for today,” I replied nonchalantly while waving my hand dismissively at his words. I continued reading my lecture notes and adding some information I got from the reference book, but I could feel the stare from Taehyung and instantly felt uncomfortable under his gaze. Not to mention that he looks quite handsome today; I can finally see why Jisoo and Kei said he’s handsome.

 

I decided to look up at him only to find him staring at me with an admiring smile on his face. That smile on his face caught me off guard while my mind was reeling with a question that wasn’t supposed to be asked if I don’t want to make this situation even more awkward than it is now. “Aren’t you going to study?” I asked him, my eyebrow shot up in wonder. Seriously, if he wasn’t going to study, he might as well go to some other places to play or whatever.

 

“I was going to, but you’re actually distracting me,” He replied with a smile on his face as he propped his right hand on the table and rests his chin on his palm while staring straight at me. Oh my God, haven’t I told him that we’re not actually dating? Why does he look so good today anyway?

 

As if he heard my mind, Taehyung instantly mouthed something that sounded like ‘your friend is here’ and continued staring at me with a smile. Heck, I don’t even know if he’s actually acting or not because it seemed like he was not acting at all…

 

“Oh, you guys are here too?” I heard Jisoo’s voice from beside me and instantly turn to her with a wide smile. Oh, it wasn’t just her; Seolhyun and Jiwon were also there standing beside her. Oh my God, why is Seolhyun looking at me with such disbelief look on her face; it seemed like she didn’t believe—

 

Wait a second.

 

At first glance, it may look like she was looking at me as if she didn’t believe that I’m actually dating Taehyung, but with her being my best friend since junior high, I can see that it was more than that.

 

That look she gave me was not disbelief; it was jealousy.

 

It made me wonder; was she actually holding some kind of crush towards Taehyung that I didn’t have a clue about? Seolhyun never really tells us about the person she likes, like Kei. It may be she actually had a crush towards Taehyung and I was basically being a by being in a fake relationship with him.

 

Oh my God, if what I guessed is true, I can never forgive myself. I have to ask her.

 

“You don’t need to go to the library if you’re only going to date,” Jiwon said to us with a mocking tone in his voice while rolling his eyes at us. Now, what is up with him? “Oh, really? I don’t see how that’s your problem, Jiwon,” I replied back with the annoyance dripping out of my voice as I narrowed my eyes at him. Seriously, though, what is up with all of them except Kei and Jisoo? Even Yunhyeong kept avoiding me when I asked him about his lecture notes.

 

Jisoo only shook her head at our bickering and immediately waved goodbye to us, heading to one of the tables inside the library to study.

 

“Is it just me, or Jiwon seems angry at us?” Taehyung suddenly uttered in curiosity, making me look up from my notes and looking at him. “Why do you think that?” I threw him another question, not giving him an answer to his previous question while staring at him. He blinked once, then twice, before twirling my pen (that he took a few seconds before) between his fingers. He shrugged before saying, “I don’t know, it seemed like he doesn’t really like the idea of us together. Does he like you or something?” as he stared back at me all the while.

 

I broke out into soft giggles hearing his last words, remembering that we’re still in the library and the librarian might kick us out if I laughed to my heart’s content. “Just for your information, Jiwon doesn’t have feelings for me. He likes someone else,” I replied to him while still trying to hold in my laugh, earning a curious look from the boy in front of me.

 

To my wonder, instead of answering me like he always does, I realized that Taehyung was silent. So, I looked at him only to see him staring at me with a look that I was familiar with.

 

The look he gave me was somewhat along the line of admiration and love.

 

That was when I realized that this game I put myself into isn’t going to be as simple as I thought it would be.

 


 A/N: So, here's the next chapter! I can't really promise you guys an update next week since I have 3 events to handle + 2 presentations all in the same week, so I'll probably throw in Chapter 15 randomly when I finished writing it. Thank you for reading and commenting everyone! Oh  and I noticed that there're a lot of new subbies so hello!! Enjoy the updates~ ^^ 

Expected update: 18/3/2016