What A Ride

There She Was
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

It started raining.

We were all too stunned to talk, to cry out loud. I held her in my arms as we all listened to the rain drops splatter onto the muddy forest floor. Soon, the light drizzle became heavy and it had rained so hard, we forgot we even shed tears. It was like the sky was crying for us because we had no strength to anymore.

She was cold. Not an ounce of warmth left inside her. She looked so peaceful, I almost forgot she was gone and not just taking a nap. Mina had collapsed face first into the floor as the exhaustion caught up to her. She had a rough night, fighting so many wolves by herself and exerting her strength to beating the vampire prince into a pulp. Chanyeol was twitching on the ground, I could barely recognise him.

Hitomi and Nako were still hidden away underneath Hitomi’s wings, but that was probably for the best. I doubt they want to see the person they look up to most like this.

I was sore. My body was broken down, my bones felt like jelly and my skin numbed from the bitter low temperature. Meanwhile, my heart had taken the brunt of the damage. It was an indescribable feeling, the pain of losing someone you treasure so dearly.

We continued to stay in the rain until Sana dragged herself into the clearing, a dead body draped across her shoulder. She looked at all of us and then at the body in my arms. She saw my expression and that was all it took for her to break down in sobs.

‘’I’m too late…’’ She punched the ground over and over. The mud and droplets of water, spraying in a ring around her fist as she created a small crater. ‘’Why am I so useless!’’

I wanted to reassure her that it wasn’t her fault at all. That it was mine for getting them in my messy life. My stupid special blood and the stupid wolves for wanting it. But my voice wasn’t willing to come out, I was so tired.

I wonder what happened to the wolves. Did they all die? There were so many of them. Yunho and Shige are still missing, are they okay? Yoona was already taken to somewhere where she could heal up by Hitomi so I wasn’t that worried.

‘’We should get out of here.’’ Sana muttered. She went to help Mina up, the white-haired vampire was completely knocked out, so Sana had to support all her weight. ‘’Mina can take the guy I brought.’’

As Sana forced Mina to feed, I laid down next to Sakura on the wet ground. I used her chest as a pillow, hoping to hear some life in there but nothing came. Sana carried the girls one by one on her back, running back to the mansion where it was safe. After taking Mina back the first time, she said that the wolves had fled and all that was left was the half-standing mansion and destroyed trees littering the scenery. Turns out they didn’t kill any of them, which was good. Or how else were we going to explain to Eunbi that we had slaughtered her entire family. I hope that my own family was okay, they had Momo and Eunbi nearby, so I doubt any wolves got past them.

I was beginning to think Sana got too tired to come back a third round. She was taking too long. I tried to keep my mind off Sakura, like looking at Chanyeol’s still body. I knew that he was still alive, barely. Mina had obviously punched him into a coma.

I felt like I let Yoona down. She had wanted me to keep both her children alive yet here I am, one dead and one half-dead. All this time, I was suspicious of her because of the past but all she was trying to do was keep her children safe. I ruined that. I ruined their chance at a peaceful life, even Chanyeol was beginning to make progress but again, because of me, that can no longer happen. I’m the biggest rock life could ever throw at someone. Even vampires can’t repel my bad omen.

I was sure that my body would need take more than a month to recover from the damage, I had no clue how to explain how I got all these cuts and bruises to my family.

‘’You can still save her, you know that, right?’’

My head sprung up from Sakura’s chest as I saw who was leaning on a tree, casually and unscathed. It was Yuri, the woman who had been and still is, my worst nightmare. I guess she avoided fighting all this time and tried to let Chanyeol do all the dirty work for her and now that he failed, she came to finish the job. I couldn’t move, or rather, I refused to move away from Sakura. Of course, I didn’t want to die. Of course, I wanted to rip the head off the woman who caused this whole attack to happen. But I was just a frail little human who was already on the verge of death.

‘’Your blood could save her.’’

I furrowed my eyebrows, ‘’Why do you care? Isn’t this what you had wanted to happen?’’ I gestured to the siblings that were laying on the floor. ‘’We lost to you, aren’t you happy?! I lost her!’’

The wolf glanced at the scene, trees were scattered on the ground like they were branches. Blood and dirt mixed together to form ugly clumps on the floor and the scent of death very new.

‘’Would you believe me if I said I regret it?’’

‘’Are you expecting forgiveness?!’’ I spat, I glared at her so hard that I thought my eyes would bleed from the fury. ‘’What do you want?’’

‘’Yoona never did tell you, did she?’’ She uncrossed her arms and walked over to Chanyeol, kneeling and leaning over him, checking for a pulse. ‘’She and I were lovers before she met her husband. Most of my hatred stems from her leaving me for a man. So, I thought that I could get closure if I set out to kill all of them.’’

‘’Thats an insane reason to go slaughter every vampire.’’ 

She pursed her lips and took the dagger that Mina had pulled out earlier. ‘’My plan was to kill you, use your blood and murder Yoona and all the members of her family. But now that my son is gone, my daughter refusing to even look at me… I realise that all of this has been useless.  I’ve gained nothing from this.’’

‘’I don’t care about why you did it. Whats so special about my blood? How can it save her?’’ I gripped Sakura’s torn clothing underneath my hands. I could feel myself losing it, I didn’t care that I hated this wretched woman, I just wanted to get Sakura back.

‘’I told you before how it could make us invisible to the vampires.’’ She paused and pocketed the dagger. ‘’Another property, the ability to heal a lot quicker. Your own blood doesn’t heal you faster, but it does do us supernatural creatures wonders.’’

‘’How do you know my blood is the one?...How do you even know that?’’

She laughed and shrugged. ‘’You have that scent. I can’t fully describe it, but your scent calls out to us, you have a very recessive blood trait that makes it special.’’

Yunho, Shige and Sana decided to appear. I could tell Yunho and Shige had been through a lot from their clothing and their posture. They were panting but still willing to get ready for another fight as soon as they saw how close Yuri was to me. Sana was going to faint from how wobbly she was.

Yuri put her hands up, ‘’I’m not here to kill the girl. I came to collect Chanyeol.’’

Chanyeol? Why did she want Chanyeol?

Then I remembered how Chanyeol had said that Yuri treated him like a son more than Yoona ever did. That made sense, somewhat.

‘’You expect us to believe you?’’ Yunho growled and took off, charging towards the woman on her knees. ‘’You’ve caused enough heartache around here!’’

Yuri jumped to her feet and heaved Chanyeol up quickly. ‘’I know. I promise you won’t hear from me again, as for Chanyeol, I will take care of him for the time being. I’ve become attached to him as of lately.’’

Yunho stopped marching to them when he saw how weak he was.

‘’Wait!’’ I called out. ‘’How-How do I-‘’

She cut me off before I could finish. ‘’Blood through an IV bag, drip it into her slowly but you must hurry if you want to save her. Vampires have a few of hours before they fully die.’’ She said. She transformed into a mid-night coloured wolf and adjusted the vampire prince, so he was balancing on her back. She huffed and sprinted off.

A few hours.

How long has it been?

I scrambled to lift my sleeves away from the broken watch on my wrist and saw that it been almost 2 hours. How long was a few hours? Its not too late right?

I pushed myself away from Sakura as much as I could and whimpered when the pain got to me, but this wasn’t the time to wail while my girlfriend still had the chance to come back to life. I shouted at Yunho to help me. ‘’Get her to the mansion!’’ Yunho snapped out of it and rushed to carry the princess on his back. He groaned because of his own injuries but it up and started running slower than usual towards the mansion. Shige took it upon herself to carry me back, Sana was following but even slower. Out of everyone, she must’ve run the most. She kept falling all the way there.

Shige stumbled into the mansion that had been torn in half. The whole roof was taken off and the beautiful aged bricks were now either crumbled to dust or sitting in the rubble like the rest of the furniture. Shige let me down and Mina took over holding me up, I thanked her quietly as Shige briefed the rest of them about our plan. Yunho had dragged a lone mattress out onto the grass and laid Sakura down on it.

‘’Do we have an IV?’’

‘’Yes, but its buried underneath all this.’’ Yunho gestured to what was left of their home. ‘’We don’t have time to look through this and it’s probably broken. We have to get a new one.’’

‘’I’ll go get it.’’

Sunmi. I had forgotten about her ever since Chanyeol revealed about his betrayal. She didn’t look as beaten as the others but nevertheless sported her own scratches. Even though she was

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter