Chapter 8

Myungsoo and his 3 rules

Man, he's terrifying, Eunjae thought.. But okay, she'll admit she was at fault here. She went into this private sanctuary for them, touched his guitar, opened a clearbook that's important to them, and touched a song that he wrote for his best friend who passed away... Wow, I'm stupid. I did deserve all that but, Jesus Christ, he's horrifying. 

She was walking home from that practice room fiasco until her phone started ringing. She grabbed it from her pocket, saw the name and her heart stopped. 

 

Myungsoo.

She hesitated to answer it. But then she thought, if Myungsoo was still mad at her, he wouldn't be talking to her. He wouldn't call her. He wouldn't make an effort at all. Or this could just be Sungyeol. She answered it thinking it was the latter.

"Hello?" She asked, but in a cautious voice.

"Eunjae." The voice said. It was a voice she memorized, but a voice that didn't belong to Sungyeol. It belonged to an out of breath Myungsoo.

"Myungsoo." She said softly. She took a deep breath and closed her eyes, about to let go of her damn pride and apologize.

"I'm sorry." 

"I'm sorry."

They both said at the same time. Eunjae chuckled a bit and she heard Myungsoo chuckle as well.

"Where are you?" He asked.

"Walking home." She answered.

"Where exactly are you?" He asked.

"Uh... near that patbingsoo place you took me to from before." She answered. 

"Stay. I'll be right there." He said. 

"Wh--" She tried to ask, until he hung up on her.

"That guy..." She muttered to myself, shaking her head. She went up to the patbingsoo place and stood there waiting for Myungsoo, planning on apologizing to him the minute he gets there.

 

--

Myungsoo ran like a madman to the patbingsoo place, with his guitar and clearbook. He didnn't even know why he was running. Why he wanted to see her. Why he cared. It didn't matter at that moment though. All he knew was that he needed to see her. He got closer and closer and he saw her figure swaying back and forth, waiting for him. He smiled involuntarily and walked up to her. She raised her head and smiled a bit at him.

"Myungsoo.. I'm really really sorry." She said.

"Don't." He said, still slightly out of breath. 

"Bu--"

"Just don't." He said.

She nodded her head a bit. "But I am."

He sighed and scratched the back of his head, frustrated. "I'm not mad anymore, okay? I saw what you did and-- yeah. It was really cool." 

She looked up at him with a gleam in her eyes. "Really?" She asked.

He chuckled soundlessly. "Mhmm."

"I wasn't in school today because ever since yesterday, I couldn't get that practice room out of my head. I don't know why until now.. It was like there was something calling my name in there. It just-- made me curious that's all." She explained.

He nodded a bit, and they both just stood there in silence, looking everywhere except at each other.

"You're.. good." He said, breaking the silence. "At writing songs, I mean."

"It was your song." She said. "I just added the chords."

"I know. It's good." He said. He raised his guitar, and gave her the clearbook. She hesitantly took it from him and he started playing the song as if he's known it since forever. Well, he kinda did since it was his song in the first place but he never had the courage to add chords and continue the song since it hurt to sing it or even think about it. But for some reason.. now, all he really wanted was to sing it. In front of her. He's done a lot of things for the first time in a long time in front of her. Maybe it's her annoyingness and stubborness. Myungsoo willl never understand why he actually makes an effort for Eunjae. He finished singing and she was smiling at him. She ruffled his hair and chuckled.

"It sounds really nice when you sing it." She said.

He smirked a bit but then started wondering and thinking about something.

"Hey.. you wrote the chords, right?" He asked and she nodded.

"Then.. can you sing?" He asked. Her breath hitched for a moment and she answered.

"I'd rather not." She laughed. "It's just a hobby. I'm not really a singer or a guitar player." 

"Come on." He said, forcing the guitar into her hand. "I started playing again for you, you know." 

Oh my god.

What did I say?

She looked up at Myungsoo with huge eyes. "You played again.. for me?"

"No, I mean.. I didn't really mean it like that. It's just that-- I don't know." He sighed and tried to arrange his thoughts. "I've done a lot of things for the first time since I met you and.. I don't know. You make me wanna make an effort to kind of fix my life and just move on." He admitted.

 

--

"Me..?" Eunjae asked still in a state of shock. "But... I've done nothing."

"You've done everything." He said. "Now.. can you play?"

She smiled a bit at him. "I can't believe you played for me."

He rolled his eyes but the smile that wouldn't leave his lips said otherwise.

"Just shut up and play." He said.

 

I wanna fly to the heavens over and over again 

Until I touch the sky.

I wanna scream 'till I can't hear, drowning in memories.

Still living the life you had to leave.

 

She looked up at him and he was staring at her with this expression she couldn't read. She stared at him back, tilting her head. After a few seconds of awkward staring, he finally cleared his throat and shook his head.

"You're.... good." He said. She smiled. 

"Thanks... I'll admit you're better." 

"Yeah, I know." He said. She scoffed.

"So arrogant." She muttered to herself, but loud enough for him to hear. He smiled a bit.

"I know I'm better but I didn't expect you to... be really good at playing.. and composing.. and singing." He said.

"Well.. it's fun." She said lamely. He nodded slowly in understanding. He sighed and looked to his left.

"Want some patbingsoo?" He asked. She grinned widely and nodded.

"Thank you, I thought you'd never ask." She said. She ran up to the counter and greeted the ahjumma like she was an old family friend and she heard him chuckle lightly behind her.

"What?" She asked.

He shook his head and ordered two patbingsoos just like before.

 

--

"Eunjae." Myungsoo said, as she put a spoonful of patbingsoo into .

"Hmm?" She said, looking up at him with puffy cheeks and big eyes. He shook his head, laughing at her cute stupidity.

"You're okay." He said and silently sighed to himself and facepalmed himself in his head. The main reason why he came here was because he wanted to see her and part of him wanted to let her know what he felt.. about her.

"Huh?" She asked. He sighed and scratched his head.

"Take it slow, Myung. I know you're not used to socializing." She said. He took a deep breath.

"You're different. I thought you'd be the same as every other girl in our damned school when I first saw you but-- well, maybe you are a bit typical and normal. But there are a lot of things about you that are different too. Though you're a girl... you don't talk too much and I don't need to listen to shallow things. You know how to listen and you put up with someone like me-- even if I barely care about anything." He said.

She smiled and nodded, silently urging him to go on.

"And.. I don't really make many friends because I don't really care enough to but-- I guess, you're okay. You're different and I like that. So.... yeah." He ended awkwardly, playing with his patbingsoo. She chuckled and stuffed with patbingsoo again as she gave him a thumbs up.

"Thank you. I guess you're different too. But I've known that since the first time I saw you." She said. "Obviously."

They ate their patbingsoo in silence and Myungsoo walked her home, one earphone in his ear and another one in hers, the song blasting in full volume.

She hummed along and they walked to the beat. He saw the building where her apartment is. He didn't go in, not really feeling like he needed to walk her until her apartment. 

"So.. thanks. For the day and for walking me home." She said.

"Sure. Bye, Eunjae." He said, messing up her hair. She slapped his hand away and rolled her eyes as she turned her back on him and waved goodbye.

Myungsoo took a deep breath. Should I ask her what I want to ask? 

 

 

Damn it. I might regret it if I don't take the risk.

"Eunjae!" Myungsoo screamed when she was near the front door. She turned her head and raised her eyebrows.

"Are you willing to put up with me?" He asked.

She furrowed her eyebrows and chuckled in surprise. "What?" She asked.

"Just answer the damn question."  He replied.

"Well, yeah." She said. "I wouldn't have been your friend if I wasn't willing to."

He nodded a bit. "Because you know I can't afford to lose someone important to me anymore.. right?" 

She grinned. "So you're saying I'm important to you?" She asked back.

"No.. I mean-- whatever. Not really." He said awkwardly.

"Does that make any sense?" She teased.

"Shut up! Has the world ever made sense?" He replied, laughing. "I'm leaving." He said, walking home a smile permanently stuck on his face.

 

--

He had feelings. That robot actually has feelings. It's great how after so long, he finally shows feelings. 

 

--

"How was school?"

"Today I learned, that the world doesn't make any sense but despite that.. I think I found someone who doesn't make sense but someone who I'm willing to stay with anyway. Thanks for asking, mom."