Chapter 5

Extremity of Us

 

“GAH!” A hard slam of a coffee cup on my table woke me up from the long waiting.

“Easy there, cousin.” I rubbed my cousin’s short left arm. “Sit down.” She sat down on the chair next to me. “So, what happened?”

“He’s busy with his new job and job-mate.” My kid-like cousin gulped her coffee in anger. “And this is like what? The 100th time maybe he cancelled our date.”

I chuckled and messed her hair. “Maybe he is really busy with his work. Just calm down. Don’t you guys have just been together for 5 minutes? What happened to the honeymoon phase?”

She snorted. “I blinked.” She paused for a moment. “I think I somewhat knew that line.”

“That’s your line, I used it.” I grinned. “Anyway, just calm down and trust him, everything will be okay.” I patted her shoulder.

“Yeah, thanks for your time though. I know you’re busy with your work. Heck even you’re supposed to be at your office now.”

“Nah, not in the mood for work today. Besides, my boss is out of town, I already filled the absence, so no worries.”

“Ah! I remember now! I asked that when you’re fighting with Sica, right?” I sighed. “Oops, sorry, I… didn’t mean to, you know.”

I looked at my cousin. She was indeed feeling remorseful. “That’s okay Taeyeon-ah. By the way, how is she?”

“Same as you, pathetic but life drags her to move forward, I guess. She’s working on her thesis now. I’m not that close anymore with her…” I was about to open my mouth to say sorry if that was happened because of me, but Tae cut me off. “Not because you guys broke up or became strangers to one another, it’s because I took different class, so yeah, I didn’t have much time to mingle with her.”

I nodded. “I see. But that’s good to know. At least she has something to do to keep her mind off of me.” I smiled to hide the sadness. “How about her band?”

My cousin shrugged her shoulders. “Some said there’s a famous label wanted to hire them, some said they would keep go indie, I don’t really know. All I know is that her band is going serious. Like really serious.”

“I see.”

“Why?”

“Just asking.”


I sat down and silently swallowed the cold liquid contained with caffeine down on my throat.

“Hello my best cousin in the world, Kim Taeyeon, nice to see you today. Wow, you look so georgeus! Ah, thanks Yul. Nice to see you too though.”

I rolled my eyes.

“Really? No greetings or whatsoever for me? I was drenched in the rain, running, worrying about you almost all day, yet you’re here, enjoying your coffee and not even thank me to come down here just for you. Really Kwon Yuri?” She slumped on the sofa next to my .

“My day has already bad as it is, just please don’t add more to it.”

She quickly understood that my mood is not really good. “Sorry. Anyway, where’s Sica? I thought she’s with you.”

“I don’t have to be with her for 24/7, right?”

“Right. But she’s usually with you, you know. So, what’s with your day? Parents?”

I shook my head. Taeyeon only knew that Sica was just my friend, but I really need someone to talk right now. My mind was just too… full and disturbed; I need to let it out. “Yul?”

Oh well, I trust Taeyeon. Here goes nothing. “Do you happen to know that Sica and me are… together?”

“Together as in lovers?” I bit my lips and nodded hesitantly. “Ahuh. I knew it all along Yul, I just didn’t want to pry.”

“You knew?”

“Come on, you guys are pretty obvious with the PDA and finger-curling-caring-flirting things.”

“You have no problem with… us being together…?”

“It’s your life and your decision to make. But I’m not saying that I fully agree or disagree with it. And don’t worry, I won’t tell a soul about this.” She smiled. She was the first person I ever told about this, I mean, our relationship. The best thing is she’s a part of my family and she’s okay with it. I relieved. “So? Are you guys fighting or something?”

“Kind of.”

Taeyeon snapped her fingers. “That’s why she has been tweeting these super-mellow-worth-to-be-thrown-by-bricks on the timeline.”

I chuckled. “Sorry for that.”

“You’re the cause?” I nodded. “YAH! Go apologize to her!”

“I did! Thousand times! But she keeps ignoring me.”

“Send her flowers? Buy her dinner? Surprise her at the campus and talk?”

“I’m…”

Taeyeon sighes. “Let me guess, you have this high pride to do more sacrifices?” I slowly nodded. “What exactly happened?”

“I was working last night, too absorb with the work until I forgot that I’ve been ignoring her calls and her messages. Then she checked me up on my friend, my friend told me that she was worried because I was suddenly gone without any news, then I realized my stupidity, I called her and sent her thousand of ‘I’m sorry, please forgive this babo.’ kind of messages. And she went ballistic on me this morning, then I’m tired of constant begging on her, so I just stopped asking for her mercy. End of story.”

“Whew. You guys just been dating for merely a second and then this? What happened to the honeymoon phase?”

“I blinked.”

Taeyeon let out her ahjumma laughed. “Good one Yul. Good reply!”

“Grah. Shattap. Now I’m worried. What should I do?”

Taeyeon shrugged her shoulders. “I don’t know Yul, you’re her…lover?”

“I prefer the term girlfriend.”

“Anyway, you’re her…girlfriend… sorry, I’m still not used to use that term on you two.” I nodded, understood her feelings. “… you’re the one who supposed to know how to handle her at times like this.”

“That’s might be my problem. We haven’t fought before, so I don’t really know what to do. Plus, it’s my first time dating a girl and I think I’m the man here. You know what I mean.”

Taeyeon sighed. I sighed too. “What did your exes do when you guys fighting?” Tae asked.

I tried to remember. “Buy stupid things I don’t even need…? I don’t know I forgot.”

For the nth time, Taeyeon sighed again. I know I was not helping. “You’re not helping.” See?

“I know, sorry.” I lowered my head.

“Let me check if she’s still at campus or not. Your classes already finished, right?” I nodded. “Great.” I saw Taeyeon quickly typed something on her phone. “Got it. She’s at campus, need to work on some group project and maybe will go home at 8.”

“So?”

“Sooo? Are you this stupid, Kwon Yuri?” She flicked my head. “This is your chance to persuade her to ask for her forgiveness.”

“With?”

“I don’t know, use your charm…?” My cousin grimaced. “God, I just got the most horrible imagination on my mind about your charm.”

I snorted before checking the time on my watch. 6pm, 2 hours to get there before she went home. What to bring? Donuts? Coffee? Stuffed animal? Darn. Think Yuri. Think!

“Don’t ever think to give her dolls. Or stuffed animals or fluffy colorful useless thing.” Taeyeon suddenly said and brought me back to the reality. “Don’t tell me you just did?”

“Err… Kind of.” I awkwardly grinned.

“I think she will be okay just with your presence, you know.”

“You wanna tag along?”

She grimaced again. “And now that I know that you two are dating, I expected more PDAs and finger curling s. No thank you, Miss Kwon. I’m just gonna wait for my friend here or go home by bus later.”

I rolled my eyes. “Well, still a long time to go, the traffic is not that bad, I’ll go in an hour and a half?” She nodded.

Two hours later

I tapped the steering wheel while observing the students at Jessica’s campus lobby. Still no sign of her and it was 8 pm. I sighed. I should be more patient when it comes to wait. I tapped more and hummed to the song the radio played. Then there she was, wearing a purple sweatshirt, with a pair of jeans, completed with white sneakers, and her little body was carrying thick textbooks. I shook my head and quickly turned off the engine and ran to her.

“S-sica…” I panted.

“Seob-Yul? What are you doing here?”

I gestured her ‘one second’ while still catching my breath. “I’m here to drive you home.” I smiled.

“I can go home by myself.” Ouch. Apparently, a-still-super-don’t-even-think-I’ll-forgive-you-today girlfriend was there.

“Okay, but can we please talk first? In my car?”

“I’m not in the mood.” Double ouch.

I sighed. I guess I have to do this here. I looked around; just a few people and they were far away from us. Here we go. I cleared my throat. “Okay. Look, I am very very very veryyyy terribly deeply honestly sorry, Sica…baby…” I lowered the volume on the ‘baby’ part. “… I forgot to text or call you before hand that I was gonna work and might be busy and couldn’t be disturbed until I finish. I was so careless that I didn’t even know that my super duper beautiful girlfriend here was soooo worried.” Again the lowered volume on the word ‘girlfriend’ “I’m really sorry, please forgive me and then go home with me today?” I leaned in and whispered, “I miss you.”

“Don’t do it again next time?” I nodded. “Promise?”

“Crossing my heart, I promise.” I said that complete with the hand moves.

“Apology accepted, go home now please?”

“Your wish is my command!”


I dumped my bag on the floor and quickly rest my back on the bed. It was always nice to spend a day with my cousin. At least, I get to know how you’ve been so far. I’m sorry that you have to be ‘pathetic’ just like what Taeyeon said.

Sica-yah, I miss you, don’t you miss me too?

Buzz.

From: Love of my life
I miss you so much, Seobang, Please comeback to me.