Chance

Shampoo

Eunwoo took a sip of his drink, unsure of how to start. Kyungie spoke up, hoping to start off light.

"So Hakyeon is your cousin?"

"Yes, he is. He's the son of my mother's sister."

"How come Hakyeon and... Mr. Cha are so close?" Kyungie refrained from referring to her boss as Eunwoo's dad.

"Well, you see. It's a very grim story. Actually, my mother was set up in an arranged marriage with that man. It wasn't her decision, but as the eldest daughter, my grandfather forced an arranged marriage. My grandmother was truly sympathetic but she couldn't do anything. My grandfather chose him, and they got married and had me. But there was something off with this whole thing." Kyungie listened with a sense of worry growing within her.

"That man didn't love my mom. He didn't want to marry her for any other reason than because my mother's family was wealthier than his. He didn't want to spend time with us, so my mom took us over to her sister's house a lot. She was also married at the time and Hakyeon was born around the same time as me." Eunwoo paused, distance glazing over his eyes.

"My mother raised me the best that she could. She sent me to the same middle school with Hakyeon so that we could get along unaware of what was truly going on. And, I was close with Hakyeon growing up because of school. That man must've been jealous or angry that we were over my aunty's house a lot, so he would come and play with Hakyeon. Apparently, Hakyeon could do better yardwork and labor than me, who was busy studying. My mother was miserable. She couldn't work because she had to take care of the house and me, but her wealth couldn't sustain her forever."

"I barely saw the man that was supposed to be my dad, and I hated him for that. My mother had relatives in the US, so when I was finishing up my last year of high school, my mother said she wanted a divorce. He refused, and my grandfather was against it as well. But, my mom had already secured things with my other uncle in the US. He was her oldest brother. I told Hakyeon about me moving but he still couldn't see why that man was at fault. It must've been because he treated Hakyeon so well, even more than his own wife or kid." 

"My grandfather died that same year. He died opposing my mother. Before the year ended, my mother finally took me and left. With the last bit of her wealth, she broke the marriage and paid for our tickets. My grandmother here, who was always supportive of my mom, sent us money from time to time. It's been a few years since then, and now this is where things have ended up. I finished up another semester of school and came back here. My mom's working for my uncle's business back in America, and I see that the man who was my father had opened up a salon."

Kyungie gazed at Eunwoo and noticed that he was a bit teary-eyed. Instinctively, she clasped his hand on the table. The boy faced her in surprise. 

"I'm sorry you had to go through a lot... Thank you for opening up to me. I don't want you to feel burdened by your past. You and your mom deserve the highest happiness. I'm glad you both are doing okay now," Kyungie spoke, and Eunwoo nodded, blinking back tears.

"Thank you... for listening. I've never spoken that much about myself before... I'm sorry if it was a bit awkward to hear from someone you don't know well," He apologized, and Kyungie shook her head.

"No, I don't feel like that at all. I'm glad you could get it off your chest. But, can I ask... did you come back to Korea to visit your aunt and uncle?" Kyungie asked.  Eunwoo smiled.

"Actually, I came back to visit my grandmother. She lives on her own, and I wanted to see her. She was like a second mom; especially since she cared for my own mother so much. I did visit my aunt and uncle too though." Eunwoo laughed, and Kyungie also chuckled, happy that the boy was feeling better. 

The two drank their hot beverages and finished up their snacks before heading out. Eunwoo offered to take her home since he had a rental car and her taking the bus wouldn't make sense if he could drive. She obliged and gave him directions to her and Jinhyun's shared house. On the way, she talked about her own life a bit, moving to Korea from Hawaii and living with her best friend. She even told Eunwoo about Jinhyun and his personality; Eunwoo said he'd want to meet him too. It was getting dark out, but luckily Kyungie arrived home. Eunwoo stopped the car in their driveway and he got out to see her off. They stood there, in the front of the house. 

"Thank you Eunwoo-ah for today." She bowed her head a bit.

"Of course, thank you as well. I'd like to hang out with you and your friend Jinhyun before I leave too." Kyungie had to ask when he was going back.

"I leave in two weeks. So make time for me maybe?" Eunwoo gave her a precious eye-smile, heating her face up.

"I will." Eunwoo bent down a bit, meeting Kyungie's gaze. Kyungie froze, the cold weather around her nothing compared to the warmth that Eunwoo emanated in this close proximity. He patted her head affectionately.

"Hopefully we'll keep in contact even when I leave," He mused, his hot breath grazing her face. 

"Of course, are you crazy or what?" Eunwoo cracked a grin at Kyungie's wit before pulling back. 

"Good night, Kyungie-ah."

"Good night. I have to charge my phone." They laughed again before Eunwoo got into his car and drove off. Kyungie felt like she was dancing on clouds at the moment; she wasn't aware that it was drizzling again. Suddenly, it began to downpour and that was enough to snap her out of it and scuttle to her front door. She unlocked the door and was greeted with a still living room. Confused by the lack of Jinhyun, she was about to yell out that she was home but heard a muffled sound upstairs. Kyungie put down her bag and crept upstairs.

She silently stalked through the hall, noticing the emptiness of the rooms because the doors were wide open and absent. At last, she reached Jinhyun's room; incidentally, the door was closed. Could this be where that sound came from? She crept closer to the door, feeling a bit afraid. At last, she knocked quickly on the door.

"Jinhyun-ah? Are you okay?" She heard very faint sounds on the other side. 

"Kyungie-ah! You're home already?!" She heard the boy exclaim.

"Yeah, what's going on?" She asked. She didn't want to try and open the door; that would be too rude. 

After a short while, Jinhyun popped his head in the doorway.

"I was just surprised you came home. But hi." Kyungie narrowed her eyes at the boy, he seemed suspicious.

"What's going on oo?" She repeated. Jinhyun shook his head.

"Nothing... I'm working on lesson plans for my students. Can't be bothered right now. I brought home chicken for dinner too. So go shower!" He laughed as she threatened to punch him.

"Ya, don't tell me what to do!" However, she decided it would be best to leave him alone. So she went to her room to get a change of clothes. She would do that, then go find the chicken that Jinhyun said he brought home. She needed a good shower because she got kinda soaked from the rain earlier.

 

 

Jinhyun heard Kyungie shut the bathroom door. He ran to the door and listened intently until he heard running water. He looked back to his room, where Rocky peeked his head out anxiously. Jinhyun frantically gestured for the boy to make a run for it. They were heading downstairs when Rocky managed to get a word out.

"That was so close," He breathed. Jinhyun shushed him.

"If Kyungie even hears something out of the ordinary outside, she will come back out even if she's not done with her shower. Hurry, I told her I bought the chicken, so when I drop you back off at home, I have to run to the store and pick it up."

"Sorry y," Rocky grinned, leaning forward to kiss the other. Jinhyun was super tempted but his fright of getting caught by his friend was greater. He held the boy back and they rushed out of the house. 

 

 

Kyungie took her time in the shower, still spazzing even in the bathroom. The heated droplets embraced and soothed her cold skin. She replayed the moments that she and Eunwoo shared. His family past was tragic and she wished she could console him further but... she really didn't know how to at this point. It was a matter of time, time to get to know him better, but time was limited too. He still had to go back to the US and finish his education. That reminds her... She had something urgent to check.

She finally got out of the shower, drying her hair with a towel. Kyungie immediately went to her room to go blow-dry her hair. She took her time because there was really no rush; she didn't have to cook dinner after all. After that, she went downstairs and was greeted with an... empty living room. Where the heck did he go now? She actually went back upstairs to check his room again. This time the door was unlocked, and the boy wasn't in there. Sighing in frustrating, Kyungie stormed back downstairs, right when the front door flew open. She flinched a bit when she saw Jinhyun in a jacket, carrying a big bag.

"Where did you go?!" Kyungie demanded. Jinhyun laughed loudly, heading to the kitchen.

"I... got the chicken," He finished, and Kyungie almost whacked his head. He shooed her away, saying he'll prepare the food and make her plate. Kyungie decided to use this chance to scurry to the computer to check something. Kyungie logged in, went on the Internet and checked her email. A new mail with big, bolded text caught her eye. 

From The School of Hair in New York City

With a thumping heart, Kyungie clicked on the email. Kyungie was so into the email she didn't see nor hear Jinhyun sliding her dish onto the tableside. 

Dear Kyungsoon Kim,

On behalf of The School of Hair, I would like to congratulate you on your acceptance for the Spring 2018 semester! We have offered you a full 4-year scholarship. 

Please reply if you are planning to start this upcoming Spring 2018 semester. You can begin class registration once we have received your confirmation. Best of luck in your future endeavors and hope you decide to join us at our school of cosmetology!

Tamara Rycon, Director of Admissions

At this moment, Kyungie screamed in happiness. Jinhyun nearly lost control of his own plate. He instantly stomped over to her curiously, as Kyungie explained and showed her friend the email. All he could say was wow, because damn, he forgot about her application to the school. It took a while for them to actually get back to her but it seemed super worth it.

"Wow, four-year scholarship?! Yaaaaaaas!" The two squealed a bit more, ignoring the piping hot, crispy fried chicken and sides on their plates for a bit. The two cheered and finally dug into their food. Kyungie was ecstatic and engorged in her food. As the two chatted more, more questions began to arise about Kyungie's future.

"Wait, so... does that mean you'll move back with your family?" Kyungie bit her lip and pondered. Incidentally, her family moved to New York too, which is why she applied to that school in the first place. She loved living in Korea but truthfully, she missed the US. If she went to the university in the US, it could give her a better opportunity to move up in the hairdressing business. 

"I could... My mom always asks about me, but since I didn't receive notice from that school I didn't say much... But this changes everything." Kyungie began worrying a bit now. She looked at her friend.

"Jinhyun... If I left, what would happen to you?" Jinhyun returned Kyungie's worried eyes with a mysterious look.

"Umm... You don't have to worry about me that much; I might begin teaching officially at the elementary school next semester actually," He replied. Kyungie squealed again and hugged him in congratulations. 

"But you'll be all by yourself here," Kyungie added. Jinhyun again looked at her with a cunning expression. The girl got suspicious and demanded to know why he looked so secretive.

"I mean, you never know..." Jinhyun giggled when Kyungie's eyes narrowed at him.

"What does that mean you oo?!" Kyungie tried to attack him but Jinhyun waved her off and ate some chicken. The two talked more, eventually switching that topic.

"Anywayyyy, what about Eunwoo? And your job now?" 

"My job now, I'd rather go study in America and land in a better salon or even better, become a boss of a salon. And I'll talk to Eunwoo about where he's going when he goes back to America. If he's in a close enough state, I might be able to fly over to see him." It was Jinhyun's turn to look shocked.

"You best come to see me before you see that Eunwoo!" Kyungie cracked up.

"You'll be here in Korea!! At least we'd be in America." Jinhyun huffed and ate more of his chicken, almost done with his food. Kyungie decided to stew this over in her mind until tomorrow. Maybe she could meet up with Eunwoo soon to hang out; his time was limited in Korea after all.