Departures

Shampoo

Over the next few days, Kyungie and Eunwoo got to know each other more. They had dinner a few times, and Jinhyun got to meet him as well. On that night when Jinhyun and Kyungie were on their way home, Jinhyun had to share his thoughts about her love interest.

“Yeah, he seems like a nice guy. He’s pretty handsome too.” At this, Kyungie squealed.

“I know!” She swooned in her seat. Jinhyun was lucky that she wasn’t driving or they might’ve crashed due to her spazzing.

 

“Has he, you know… popped the question yet?” Kyungie blushed madly at Jinhyun’s query.

 

“Well…” Kyungie explained that Eunwoo didn’t ask her yet. Of course, she was too shy to even pop the question first, and Eunwoo

seemed to be the same. The suspense was killing her, but it also didn’t seem likely considering he would be leaving soon.

A few days before Eunwoo’s departure, he couldn’t meet with Kyungie because he had to take care of his grandmother before he left. Meanwhile, Kyungie just did some cleaning around the house just in case she had to move back to the States. That took enough of her time, so it made things go by quicker. She also had to do all the other things required for school, such as getting shots and documents, so she was always occupied somehow.

One particular slow day at the salon, Kyungie was working yet again with her boss and Wheein. Her boss seemed to be behaving strangely now that he knew she met with Eunwoo often. He was training Wheein more and teaching her how to close the shop, as well as cutting Kyungie early. Kyungie kept her frustration and irritation bottled up and instead focused on the business. Her customers still adored her and that’s what kept her sane.

Kyungie had just finished cutting a client’s hair when the slow hour hit. This was when no customers showed up for roughly half an hour or so. Mr. Cha told Kyungie to go restock the shelves with hair products so she went to go get the new shipment from the back room. She was checking the new inventory when she heard loud voices from the front. Curiously, she reemerged with a box and saw Eunwoo standing defiantly with her boss threateningly jabbing a finger in his face. Wheein stood, confused and speechless on the sidelines.

“Now you’re back? And you just want to see Kyungsoon?  She’s not working today, so get out of my salon. I should’ve known how ungrateful you can be,” Mr. Cha spat. Eunwoo kept a leveled gaze on his biological father.

“She told me her usual work schedule, and today is her work day. So I know she’s here.” Right at that moment, he turned his head slightly and caught sight of her. Kyungie dropped the box out of shock and now everyone stared at her.

“Kyungie!” Eunwoo shouted. Kyungie ran up to her boss who appeared very bewildered at the situation unfolding in front of his eyes.

“What is going on here?” She demanded.

“Kyungie, I wanted to tell you that I have to leave tomorrow because my mother is getting married again!” Mr. Cha and Kyungie were both wildly shocked.

“Really? That’s great!” Kyungie congratulated. Mr. Cha was not pleased though.

 

“That is getting married again? She leaves me and then she finds someone else,” Mr. Cha blurted. Kyungie’s anger surged, but Eunwoo was quick.

“You didn’t love her. She found someone she loves and loves her back, and that’s all she needs,” Eunwoo bites back coldly.

“I’m tired of all of this crap! Your mother has done nothing but take all of my money, and you’ve been nothing but a burden to me ever since you’ve been born. Why did everything go wrong? Tell me!” Mr. Cha grabbed Eunwoo’s shirt collar tightly, to which Wheein screams in utter shock. This pushed Kyungie over the edge.

Out of anger, she grabs Eunwoo and stands in front of him, shielding the boy. Mr. Cha is caught off-guard by her sudden display of strength and glares at her threateningly. Kyungie is beyond furious.

“Kyungsoon-ssi, please step out of the way.” He keeps a calm yet strained tone, but Kyungie is having none of that.

 

“Hell no, you know what, I’m tired of this bull. I’ve been working here for three years but I’ve never seen you act like such an before. As far as I know, Eunwoo and his mother have been screwed over all because you couldn’t be a good father and a husband. And now that their lives are starting to improve for the better, you’re jealous and bitter.” She couldn’t hold back what was on her mind. Her boss looked stricken.

 

“Kyungsoon-ssi, don’t talk to me in that manner. If you don’t comply, I’ll have to-”

“You’ll what? Fire me? Well, I got news for you. I quit.” Kyungie grabs Eunwoo by the hand and goes to grab her things.

“Unnie, wait…” Wheein speaks up, while her boss looks as if he’s trying to comprehend what just happened.

“I’m sorry, Wheein-ah. I can’t take this anymore,” She responds, while Eunwoo remains quiet.

Her boss does nothing else, surprisingly, he just stares the two down as she gathers what she needs. Most of her tools are unnecessary as she has spares at home. While she prepares to leave, Mr. Cha speaks up.

“Such a shame. I was going to promote you to manager soon.” His pathetic attempt at swaying her decision made Kyungie scoff.

“Bull. You always favored Hakyeon because he’s your nephew and I would never be a manager because you want him to manage the business.” Her boss made an incredulous noise and Eunwoo stifled a giggle.

“I’ll miss this place, but I’ll be attending a cosmetology school in America. Let’s keep in touch, Wheein-ah.” Wheein nods her head sadly and Kyungie takes one last disdainful look at her boss, who is clenching his fists silently. And that’s it. She opens the door and takes Eunwoo with her out of that salon. The two are just walking down the sidewalk until Eunwoo speaks up. Kyungie is still stewing in her anger but she was calming down.

 

“I’m sorry, did I just make you lose your job?” Kyungie chuckles a bit and shakes her head.

 

“No, it was always unfair how he never did try to promote me officially. He would just let me take over more official responsibilities but he never told me I would be a manager. And yeah, I never did bring this up to you… But I got accepted to a hair school in New York, a four-year scholarship. I wanted to keep it a surprise because I wanted to tell you right before you left. Well it seems like the perfect time now, huh? Since you’re leaving tomorrow,” Kyungie began to feel a bit sad now that the news of Eunwoo’s early departure set in, replacing the anger.

 

“That’s really great for you though, Kyungie. I’m proud of you,” Eunwoo beams, trying to cheer her up with a charming smile. It worked because Kyungie flushed at his handsomeness. She thanked him and they went to Eunwoo’s car.

The car ride was a bit silent because the reality of Eunwoo having to leave tomorrow started to affect Kyungie. She had so much that she wanted to do with him; she wanted to know him even better. Things couldn’t just end like this. The one time where everything was picking up in her life, and now…

“Kyungie-ah?”

Eunwoo’s light voice and soft tap on her shoulder dispelled the trance that occupied her mentally. She turned and finally noticed they were at a stoplight. Eunwoo was looking forward but she could tell that he was checking up on her. He asked if something was wrong, but Kyungie shook it off. The boy began to speak soon after.

“I’m sorry that I have to leave like this… But I wanted to thank you for earlier.”

“You don’t have to thank me. Your dad was an .” Eunwoo had to laugh at Kyungie’s disgruntled reply.

“No, really… I wish I didn’t have to leave you this quickly. But, I have a request…” Kyungie’s ears perked at the boy’s words.

“What is it?” She held her breath before he replied.

 

“I would like you to see me off at the airport tomorrow morning… But my flight comes at 6 am, and I have no idea how crazy the line will be… So maybe at 5 am? If it’s too early, you don’t need to come…” Eunwoo seemed worried, and Kyungie was stunned at the earliness of the flight. But, this was her bae that was leaving. She would definitely follow through with it.

“No, I’ll be there. I wake up early anyways. I’ll be at Incheon Airport by 5.” Kyungie knew she had to bother Jinhyun to drive her there or at least lend her the car. She saw Eunwoo turn his head and smile sincerely at her.

“Thank you so much… This means a lot to me,” Eunwoo conveyed. Kyungie kept her squeal contained.

Now that she was pretty much unemployed, Kyungie wanted to go home and rest. She thought about having an early dinner with Eunwoo, but she figured he would be better off sharing his last meal in Korea with his beloved grandmother. She kindly asked to be dropped off at home and Eunwoo obliged. They were nearing her house when he spoke again.

“I have to pack my bags still. I bought a lot of clothes during my time here,” Eunwoo admitted. Kyungie laughed.

“Well, Korea has way better clothing than America.” She looks down at her own casual, comfy, but cute outfit as testament.

“That’s true. You look very beautiful with the modern, casual style,” Eunwoo said in a gentlemanly tone. Kyungie swooned again but luckily the seat molded her posture before she slumped. Instead, she laughed nervously.

The topic of Kyungie’s future school came up again and she asked if it was possible for them to see each other sometime when they were both going to be back in the US. Eunwoo’s school was in Pennsylvania; it must have been fate that they would only be a state apart. However, Kyungie wouldn’t be leaving for a few more months, so things could always change.

“It’s possible. If there’s a will, there’s a way, right?” Eunwoo said the phrase in English and it made her heart skip a beat. She agreed and secretly vowed to make it happen at least once. They reached her house and Kyungie got out of the car. Kyungie waved her hand through the open window when she was outside of the car.

“Well, I’ll see you tomorrow morning.”

Eunwoo, smiling cheekily, grabbed her hand and held it for a moment, much to her surprise.

“I hope so. Sleep well, Kyungie-ah.” After a few more seconds, Eunwoo gently let go and Kyungie withdrew her hand, bowing and hiding her reddened face. Eunwoo smiled at her once more and then reversed the car and was off.

Kyungie sighed, tired from such an… eventful day. She figured she would rest for a couple of hours, then get started on dinner before Jinhyun came home from school. She was relieved that Jinhyun taught today and didn’t have dance lessons, because recently he came home either terribly late and satiated or suspiciously early. She crashed on the sofa immediately and actually took a well-deserved nap.

After waking up from her nap, she made tteokbokki for dinner. Jinhyun came home, seemingly normal today. She told him about her quitting and he freaked the heck out. It was a natural and expected response from him. Kyungie brushed it off, saying it was bound to happen and that her ex-boss pissed her off too much. Finally, while the two were eating, she broke news of Eunwoo leaving tomorrow because of his mother’s impromptu wedding.

“Oh lord, you best see him off. I would see off my bae if he was leaving,” Jinhyun pressed. Kyungie nodded.

“That’s why I was wondering if you could… drive me to the airport tomorrow morning by 5 am or lending me the car?” She asked in a very loving and sugary tone. Jinhyun made a gagging noise.

“First of all, you don’t have your driver’s license yet so if you get pulled over we’re both screwed. Second, it’s going to be super early in the morning, I don’t trust you driving my car before you doze off and crash.” Jinhyun paused because Kyungie whacked his arm out of offence.

“And third, I’m not going to pass up witnessing a corny moment between you two at the airport. I’m so taking you.” Kyungie half-regretted asking her best friend but she was ultimately grateful. She hugged him tightly despite being offended earlier. Jinhyun chuckled and removed her so he could finish his tteokbokki.

Kyungie awoke the next morning at 4 am sharp, having set her alarm. Eunwoo was leaving soon. She got up and went to the bathroom. After she was done, she went to Jinhyun’s room and opened it a crack. She saw his slumped form on his bed so she scurried over and started nudging him incessantly.

“Jinhyun-ah, wake up…” Jinhyun didn’t budge, he was curled up in his blanket.“Wake up damn you,” She repeated, less coaxing and more demanding. She prodded his form and he made a small noise. He slowly woke up and saw Kyungie staring at him.

“Ahh!” He exclaimed. She almost hit him but told him to get ready because it was almost time to leave. Jinhyun stretched a little and got out of bed.

“Damn, I didn’t wake up this early in how long…” He croaked.

 

“Love you,” Kyungie gushed.

The two got ready and were soon on their way to the Incheon International Airport. They both dressed warmly with coats and thermals paired with comfortable long pants. It was a cold morning after all. The drive to the airport was a bit long, and the two listened to Oh My Girl’s Liar Liar, Hello Venus’ Glow and Rainbow’s Whoo, among other tracks on the way. They reached the terminal and Kyungie decided to text Eunwoo.

I’m here~ Where will you be at? This airport was huge and one could easily get lost here. Kyungie rubbed her palms together because it was cold. Jinhyun nudged her and asked if she wanted to get coffee at the shop in the airport. She obliged because it was cold, and a heated drink would benefit them greatly. They got caramel macchiatos. Kyungie felt her phone buzz and she checked it immediately.

I’m at check-in facility C. I’ll have to go in checkpoint 1 and then gate 27. Such jumbling numbers and letters. The two made their way to the Departure level, level 3. They were walking and looking around when Kyungie spotted Eunwoo, his tall figure catching her eye. He was also wearing a long coat and toting some suitcases. Kyungie made a small noise, handed Jinhyun her drink, and starting making her way through the people. Jinhyun slowly and awkwardly followed her, unsure of how to go about this situation now.

“Eunwoo-ah!” She called, earning looks from pedestrians. Eunwoo turned his head and instantly smiled brightly, rivaling the sun’s rays with his brightness. She went up to him and did the unthinkable, she hugged him tightly. Eunwoo gasped softly, also not expecting the embrace. He didn’t complain nor budge though. He was standing in line for the check-in facility already, and there was quite the amount of people there, as expected.

tumblr_o47b0aSscN1v9jougo4_400.gif

“Kyungie, I’m so glad you could make it,” He spoke softly but surely. Kyungie smiled and nodded. The girl noticed a tiny old woman staring at her from behind Eunwoo. Eunwoo turned and smiled again, this time gesturing towards the granny.

“Ah, Kyungie, this is my grandma Cha Eunyoung. Halmeoni, this is Kim Kyungsoon,” He introduced. Kyungie bowed respectfully to Eunwoo’s grandma and the old lady beamed. Kyungie bashfully introduced herself and said that she heard a lot about her from Eunwoo. The woman cackled in response.

“So this is Kyungie. This kid always talks about you too! I think she’s precious,” She commented, patting Kyungie’s head affectionately. The girl felt nervous and they exchanged more formalities. Jinhyun caught up with the group and more formalities were exchanged. Time was ticking by, and there was no way for Kyungie to prolong it.

Eunwoo held his roundtrip ticket in his hand. Kyungie decided to stand by him while Jinhyun surprisingly chatted more with Eunwoo’s grandma. This moment seemed so surreal right now. Being surrounded by the chatter and activity of people getting ready to board flights, where moments were both ending and beginning. Kyungie was caught in the rift and felt like everything was moving too quickly. Eunwoo cleared his throat, and Kyungie turned to face him, wanting to listen to his voice as much as she could in person before she couldn’t anymore.

“So, any updates on your school?” She felt as if Eunwoo were asking more about her school so that they could know exactly when they could see each other again. At least, that is what she hoped.

“Well, I confirmed my registration, and I recently bought my ticket online. I’ll be leaving at the end of August. It’s already the end of May, so just a few more months,” Kyungie explained. She told him about how her parents lived in New York too, and Eunwoo smiled softly, saying he’d like to meet them.

“I’m sure they’d like you,” Kyungie blurted. Eunwoo chuckled and insisted that she had to meet his mother as well. They made a deal and that was that. It was time for Eunwoo to check in. Kyungie, Jinhyun, and Eunwoo’s grandmother all waited on the side while the boy went to the front desk. Grandma Eunyoung had to say something to the girl.

“Child, you must treasure Eunwoo. You will meet again and you will be happy together. My Eunwoo is very precious to me, he’s a very sweet kid. And I’m telling you, he really likes you.” The old but adorable woman shook Kyungie lightly in a motherly fashion, and Kyungie laughed nervously.

“To think I’d be hearing this from his grandmother and not from his own lips,” She murmured to herself. Grandma Eunyoung must’ve heard that because she cackled.

“My Eunwoo will barely speak up and be a man about his feelings, but he’s not to blame. I’m sure when the time is right, things will work out.” Kyungie narrowed her eyes a bit. If now’s not the right time, when will it ever be? Kyungie felt saddened by his grandmother’s words, but she had to snap out of it because Eunwoo had returned.

“I have to go in to my gate soon…” Everyone felt somber at his words. He hugged his grandmother tightly, and the two friends witnessed the humorous, warm-hearted old woman break down in mere seconds.

 

“My precious grandson… thank you so much for visiting me and taking care of me. Say hello to your mother for me. She better visit me with that new husband of hers,” The old woman fussed between sobs. Eunwoo, whose eyes were also a bit wet, nodded determinately.

“I will. And she will definitely come back here, halmeoni. I love you,” Kyungie felt her eyes glisten with forming tears at Eunwoo’s words. Eunwoo seemed to be emotionally touched as well. The boy shook hands firmly with Jinhyun, both of them saying it was nice to meet each other. And now, it was Kyungie’s turn.

“Kyungie… I can’t believe I’m going already,” He sniffled. She nodded and agreed.

“Eunwoo… Have a safe flight… If we ever have a chance to meet again, I hope we can.” Kyungie felt heavy with words she couldn’t bring to life. She just couldn’t.

“We will. Thank you so much... I’ve been fortunate to meet great people, especially you. We’ll definitely meet again…” The boy clasped her hands as he started shedding new tears. Kyungie was so caught up in the moment she also sobbed.

The two hugged, and it seemed like time stood still. Kyungie released the boy as the line started moving up. He had to go through his gate. The three stood waving at the tall boy, who looked back once more with puffy eyes and said his final goodbye. Kyungie wiped her eyes, and soon she heard Jinhyun chuckling softly.

“Why are you laughing at me damn you,” She sniffed.

“Because you haven’t cried like this in a while,” He replied playfully. She felt a little better because of his silliness but she still needed time to get over this. The two had to go back home. They hugged and bid farewell to Eunwoo’s grandmother, who thanked them for coming. The two ate breakfast on the way home.

A few months later, near the end of July…

f_an4WMC59SGZAVNmX3uZZs0_I2XfHvpwAw3R_O6

The backyard was abuzz with activity for Kyungie’s going-away party. The two had invited some friends and even Kyungie’s ex coworkers for a celebration before she went away to the United States. They decided to have it at Rocky’s house.

To make the atmosphere more entertaining, they had a random dance game. The song “Joker” from Dal Shabet came on and Kyungie and Jinhyun rushed into the middle, guests clearing the way. They started dancing and the crowd roared with cheering. After finishing the song, the two retreated to the crowd who were still cheering and exclaiming.

“You guys dance so well,” Wheein squealed, enjoying herself.

“Yeah, this party is pretty lit,” Vernon, one of Jinhyun’s friends from dance class, pointed out.

Rocky slinked up to them and grabbed Jinhyun by the waist in a very sultry manner. Kyungie ogled at her former coworker’s smirk towards her best friend. Rocky chuckled and complimented the two on their dancing.

 

hIcXz5G_ZTgPMM7xiv41fneIn5zE65UeBOO1-LHP

“We should dance something together babe,” Rocky suggested while grinning to Jinhyun. Kyungie bucked her head back at his words.

“Babe? What is this?!” She looked back and forth to the two boys who were giggling and cracking up at her confusion.

“Yeah, we’re kinda dating,” Jinhyun confessed, as Rocky brought the boy closer in his embrace, grinning and resting his chin on the other’s shoulder.

“Kinda?” Kyungie and Rocky both said at the same time.

“We so are dating,” Rocky mumbled.

“When were you gonna tell me?!” Kyungie demanded, angry yet flustered. Jinhyun giggled.

“Well if you noticed, I kinda dropped hints here and there. Remember how I told you I take dance classes?” Kyungie nodded, listening intently.

“It just so happens that Rocky teaches the dance lessons, so that’s how I got to know him outside of just being your coworker,” Jinhyun started. Kyungie’s eyes were widened and she was pursing her lips at this story.

“So naturally I became closer to him. I guess I needed help with some dance moves, so Rocky helped me even after class ended. One thing led to another and, well, yeah…” He laughed as Rocky buried his face into his shoulder, a bit embarrassed. Kyungie laughed and couldn’t believe what she was hearing.

“So you two are a couple, hmmph. You still didn’t tell me,” She pouted. The two joined her in a forced group hug even though she was against it. Both boys apologized and said they’d be more upfront with her next time.

“I forgive you… for now,” Kyungie said, and Jinhyun gave her an offended look. It was her turn to cackle. Another song was playing and Wheein and Vernon were dancing awkwardly but in a very lovable manner. Suddenly, a lightbulb seemed to go off in Rocky’s head because he rushed over to the DJ he hired for the event, a personal friend of his by the name of Moonbin, and whispered something in his ear. When Rocky rejoined the two friends, they were eyeing him out curiously.

“What did you request?” Jinhyun questioned. Rocky gave him a heartwarming grin and grabbed his boyfriend by the hand.

“You gotta dance with me,” Rocky urged as he pulled him. Suddenly, the song “Call Me Baby” by EXO came on, and Rocky and Jinhyun were the main stars. Kyungie laughed and joined Wheein’s side, cheering on the boys madly.

The two transformed into a y, charismatic duo. They even locked eyes during the dance, full of intensity and passion. When the song ended, the two stood proudly, as everyone erupted in cheering. Rocky threw his arm over his boyfriend and rejoined Kyungie momentarily.

“I’m going to get a drink inside the house, I’m all sweaty now,” Rocky panted.

“I’m coming with,” Jinhyun added with a suspiciously seductive tone. Kyungie groaned to herself and shooed the lovers away, not wanting those kinds of thoughts in her mind.

She still texted Eunwoo, updating him about her upcoming departure and how her life is going. Eunwoo did the same and sent her pictures of his mother’s marriage and told her about his life back in the US too. At least they were still communicating, that was all that mattered.

The going-away party was one of the most memorable and fun nights of her life. She was surrounded by good company, laughter, music, and love. To think that she would leave this behind… She needed to take the chance back in the US though. And she would be with her family again.

And when the day for her to leave Korea came, she still couldn’t restrain herself from weeping. Emotions came easily to her, and her tears spilled as she said farewell to her friends and coworkers, who accompanied her to the airport before her departure.

“Have fun, Kyungie. I don’t know when I’ll see you again, but you best keep in contact. And I’m going to visit you there anyway, so yeah,” Jinhyun said to her. She was a crying mess but she wiped her eyes and hugged him tightly. Such deja vu, she thought in her head, the emotions swimming in her head.

“Yeah, I’m going to be worried about you everyday. Like is he all right?” She fretted, but her best friend merely snickered.

“I’ll be fine. Rocky’s going to be moving in,” He said proudly. Once again, Kyungie found herself shocked.

“My parents are going to stay in my old house and then I can live with him,” Rocky added on the side. Kyungie rolled her eyes but felt relieved, because at least Rocky could keep Jinhyun company.

“Bye! Have a safe flight!” Everyone said their heartfelt goodbyes and Kyungie took a deep breath, carrying some of her luggage and heading past the gates, on her way to start the next chapter in her life.