Epilogue

Shampoo

Life was good for Kyungie. She had moved back in with her family, who was overjoyed to see her after how long. She got things straightened out for school and attended the School of Hair happily. She had high hopes for this school. She was working on getting her hairdressing license here while aiming to intern at the school in her last year and maybe open her own salon after. There was so much opportunity in the city.

She did video calls with Jinhyun from time to time, but the calls were more like to Jinhyun and Rocky because Rocky always joined them during their calls. It couldn’t be helped because the two boys lived together. At least Jinhyun was getting his teaching job fixed, and Rocky began teaching more classes at the local dance studio too. The girl couldn’t help but feel a bit jealous even if she was happy for Jinhyun. He looked and sounded so happy spending his life back in Seoul with Rocky.

However, today was a different kind of excitement for her, because she would be seeing someone she held dear but hadn’t seen in a great while. Kyungie left her family’s house dressed up in a cute canary-yellow cardigan over a cream white top, completing the look with a floral skirt that displayed vibrant pinks, yellows, and greens. It was the perfect look for spring break. Her heart fluttered with the thoughts in her mind. She had agreed to meet this someone for dinner at a fancy lakeside restaurant in the city.

 

rXheRZX6hYL8m4pgmAXfewVc4P9vTKdF46LoRk_e

 

T7hVkf3mVCzUJ9W9tma2pbuJCr7EAefwQmRDBl4h

The restaurant was getting a bit packed, as it was a splendid sunny afternoon. It was also ideal weather for a boat ride near the famous Loeb Boathouse Lakeside Restaurant. The waiter came by and dropped off a menu for Kyungie, who sat at the table for two, eagerly and anxiously awaiting her date.

“I hope he makes it…” She murmurs to herself. Suddenly, her eye catches sight of a boy donned in a striped light blue dress shirt over a white tee and comfortable denim shorts. Kyungie waves and the boy meets her gaze, giving her a bright smile and walking over.

pQTDIC7dlP0n-HmZeWTlB8NHjH6Q3oE9JVnMggiC

“Wow, Kyungie, it is you, You look prettier than ever,” Eunwoo compliments, and Kyungie’s face flushes red already.

“It’s been so long, Eunwoo,” She says, barely containing the excitement that the boy gives her.

“I know. But it’s easy for me to visit here now that I’m on break,” Eunwoo tells Kyungie after they placed their orders. Kyungie asked why.

“My step-dad actually lived in New York, so he has relatives here. Which means I can stay for some time too.” Eunwoo’s words makes Kyungie surprised in a good way.

“That’s awesome,” she breathes. He chuckles, the sound of his laughter pleasant to her ears. The two enjoy a nice lunch together then the two proceed to rent a boat to take on the surface of the lake. It was Eunwoo’s idea because he never tried it, and Kyungie thought it’d be fun too.

With a firm push mostly from Eunwoo, the two got the wooden boat into the water. Eunwoo hopped in first, steadying himself and then offering his hand to the blushing Kyungie. Once they got settled into the boat, Eunwoo took the oars and said he’d do the rowing. Kyungie protested but he was determined and stubborn. He started rowing and the boat pulled out from the docking area like a wading turtle.

“Wow, did you ever row a boat before?” Kyungie asked, amazed at Eunwoo’s strength. He groaned due to the rowing.

“No, but I’ve always wanted to try.” He flashed her another precious smile and had her spazzing to herself.

 

sgI7UJz1WLZnDsJyecx-5xv-D6q8UMQZFyansFYB

The two rowed on the smooth, olive-green surface of the lake, enjoying the warm spring weather, even sunlight, and sounds of nature around them as they ventured farther away from the restaurant. Although other boats were on the lake as well, the two seemed to be in their own little world.

“You know Kyungie… I really missed you,” Eunwoo brings up when the boat is far out enough and stops rowing. The girl laughs, finding it hard to say it to him. She felt too nervous and embarrassed to admit that she hasn’t stopped thinking of him ever since he left Korea.

“I’ve been thinking a lot recently… about us.” The boy continues, and Kyungie stares at him with eyes trembling in anticipation and curiosity.

“You have?” She asks, voice almost cracking because of her nervousness. She curses herself upon hearing that. Eunwoo nods.

“We may live in different states, but I think we have what it takes to still be together even if we’re physically apart. We’ve proven this up until this point, right?” He asks for assurance, to which Kyungie nods. This has to be the most he’s ever said at once, well, besides when he told the story of his “father” so long ago.

“Kyungie… I think this is really overdue,” Eunwoo cuts off his own words, and Kyungie feels like she’s anticipating to the edge of her seat. She looks at him, and Eunwoo leans forward, gently clasping her hands and gazing at her resolutely.

“What are you saying?” She practically begs, her voice caught in when Eunwoo smiles warmly at her.

 

“I’m sorry I couldn’t say it before. But I didn’t want to say it too early or I’d seem like a fool. I didn’t want to say it right before I left either because that would only hurt you. I kept on thinking and assuring myself that somehow things would work out. I prayed for a miracle for us to be together again. And this is it. Kyungie, I love you.” Kyungie’s eyes bugged out at Eunwoo’s emotional outpour as he squeezed her hands lovingly.

“I want to be voice that you wake up and hear each morning. I promise I’ll treasure you,” Eunwoo continued, and Kyungie unintentionally laughed. He looked confused.

“You couldn’t say these things before, and now you’re saying too many things,” Kyungie giggled. Eunwoo took a deep breath, calming himself while still grinning like a fool. Kyungie felt giddy as well.

 

“Do you… feel the same way?” Eunwoo finally confessed, turning Kyungie red as a beet.

“Yes, yes I do... I’ve been in love with you ever since we’ve met,” Kyungie had to confess.

Eunwoo leaned even closer, lips ghosting over hers. Kyungie’s breath stifled.

“May I?” He breathed. He didn’t wait for a reply, and placed his lips neatly on hers. The world seemed to stand still, but for all the best reasons. Kyungie had finally found love.

“Finally,” She joked and he chuckled, looking like a kid who finally received candy as a reward.

The pieces were finally set in place, and Kyungie’s life seemed to be all lined up now. Things naturally fit themselves in over the course of time, from leaving her old job to leaving Korea altogether. Changes had to be made, but change was imminent. Change promoted growth. Struggles were faced and overcome, and Kyungie knew many more obstacles were ahead. That was life, but Kyungie was ready for anything, especially with her new but long overdue boyfriend Eunwoo by her side.

The two enjoyed their romantic boat date and Kyungie pulled Eunwoo by the hand along the streets of New York. The sun was setting. She asked Eunwoo what he was going to do now, and he told her that he was staying with his step-dad’s mother on the other side of town. His mom and step-dad were also in New York for the break.

“Since everyone’s here anyway… Well, now you can meet my family,” Kyungie grinned as panic seemed to wash over Eunwoo’s face. She demanded to know why he looked like that.

“I forgot about that, actually,” He admitted, laughing.

“They’re gonna love you.”