La Lune

Blood Oath

    Jung Chaeyeon had lived long enough to know love when she stood in its presence.

 

She had witnessed it as she looked into the face of an exiled queenling; hunted by her people, abandoned by her nation, and desperate for the salvation of the coven. She had stared it down as the very girl led at her wrist, fresh bite markings marring the white expanse of her neck.

 

And now, as she took in the blossoming look in the boy’s eyes, a dangerous look came into her own.

 

Chaeyeon forced a pleasant smile, shook out the crumbs of the now pulverized tart that had been in her hand and turned to claim what she’d long considered to be hers.

 

She strode over to the pair, plucked the tart out the offending party’s hands and returned it to Jieqiong.

 

“Go ahead and pay now sweetie, we must be heading back soon.”

 

She shot the dazed boy a derisive look and turned in a huff to take their leave.
 

Chaeyeon had managed to lead a similarly stunned Jieqiong halfway to the horses before a cry cut through the air as the boy chased after them

 

“Hey! Wait! I need that pastry!”

 

This child was really beginning to grind on her nerves. She turned to scowl at the boy allowing a tinge of red to seep into her irises, hoping he’d gather enough brain cells to flee in fear.

 

The boy, however, proved himself either very brave or very foolhardy as he charged ahead undeterred.

 

Chaeyeon spurred the horse forward, eager to return home before this buffoon engaged any further with Jieqiong.

 

“Hey wait!”

 

The fool sped his pace when he saw the pair had no intention of stopping, and as a last ditch effort before the hoses exited the town’s gates, he threw himself directly in the horses’ path.

 

Jieqiong grabbed the horses’ reins and sharply reared her steer up as the clamor of the shocked beasts’ whinnies cut through the air and their hooves dug into the dirt as they slid to a stop.

 

The pair gaped in shock as the boy let out a breathless laugh of relief while  he crouched with his hands on his knees.

 

“Hey,” he wheezed, “If i didn’t know better I’d think you weren’t planning on stopping at all!”

 

It was at times like this that Chaeyeon considered  risking it all by ripping out the throat of a peasant boy.

 

“You’re lucky the horses stopped in time you silly boy! What could possibly make this sweet worth risking being trampled, or worse”

 

Jieqiong’s addition came as she took in Chaeyeon’s blatant annoyance at the situation.

 

The boy glowed at Jieqiong’s attentions, completely blind to her companion’s disdain. He slid into a playful curtsy; mahogany curls falling over delicate features as he bowed his head.

 

“Chwe Hansol, at your service my lady,”

 

He glanced up cheekily stealing another glance at Jieqiong before continuing,

 

“I would gladly allow you the sweet my lady, but you see my master commanded  this very pastry be brought him. He’s very temperamental, please understand.”

 

Jieqiong, to her merit, had shaken off her initial befuddlement and now stared imperiously down at the boy.

 

“Very well, I shall grant you the tart since you’ve gone to such lengths to attain it.”

 

She reached into her satchel and held out the pastry for the boy to take.

 

The boy, appraised his prize victoriously before stretching his arm back to nervously rub the back of his head.

 

“Actually,” he ventured, “ There was also another motive for my admittedly drastic actions. Is there perhaps anyway I may be granted your name?”

 

At his words Chaeyeon spurred the horses forward and deigned the boy a response.

 

“No, no you may not.”

 

Handol could only watch as the pair disappeared in a flurry of powdered snow.

 

 

A/N: What an interesting turn of events :)

Next chapter we'll finally be seeing more of somi and baby sohye so girlsday_expect.mp3