La Vie, La Vie

Blood Oath

    Fairy lights glittered high above the heads of the party-goers as the court waltzed beneath the shadow of the waxing moon.

 

Jieqiong shone beneath the lights’ pale glow; a vision in her beaded rose gown.

 

Chaeyeon basked in her radiance, leaning in to catch the intoxicating scent of her perfume as they glided along to the orchestra.

 

“You fascinate me, you thrill me,” she murmured into her collarbone.

 

Jieqiong preened at her beautiful companion’s attentions.

 

“The feeling is mutual, I assure you,” she murmured as Chaeyeon’s hands hands edged lower and lower down her waist, “but let us not forget that we are in a very public setting.”

 

She laughed at Chaeyeon’s pout as she turned to link hands with an elderly count as the dance shifted to a lively jig.

 

Chaeyeon watched as Jieqiong twirled from partner to partner, completely joining in the night’s revels.

 

She kindly rejected a young baroness’ invitation to dance and, instead, retired towards the impressive blood display; strategically placed to give its visitors a choice view of the festivities.

 

“I suppose you’re here to keep an eye on your errant lover,”

 

Chaeyeon turned to glare at Nayeon before deciding there was no point in lying to the infamous Stone General.

 

“Jieqiong is neither errant nor my lover- not officially at least.”

 

Nayeon made a noise of disbelief as she took a heavy swig from her goblet.

 

“That didn’t stop you from getting Lady Sana banished from court, or Lord Jeonghan before her, or-”

 

“That’s enough,” Chaeyeon flustered, “May I ask why

are here when you could be chasing Lady Chungah’s skirts?”

 

Another swig and a shrug. “It’s my job to ensure security in this court.”

 

“Yes,” Chaeyeon drawled through pursed lips, “I feel very secure”

 

She turned to fill a cup with the scarlet liquid  before returning to her observations.

 

In the courtyard below she saw a gleam of gold; the young queen was attempting a waltz with her new consort, clearly exasperated by the boy’s apparent lack of grace as he repeatedly stumbled over her gilded gown.

 

Chaeyeon smiled secretly into her beverage at the tumultuous years of entertainment to come from the young couple.

 

She drained her cup and moved to retire to her chambers, completely unaware of the eyes that had been watching for her departure.