Miel

Blood Oath

The cold sunlight creeping through the large bay window directly opposite her bed gently seeped into Mina’s eyes and awoke her.

 

The young noble had left the heavy drapes open when she’d retired at last from last night’s festivities, finding comfort far from home under the stars’ gaze.

 

She luxuriously stretched before immediately turning to ring for breakfast.

 

Servants flooded in, one with a tray of fruits and poached eggs, the rest rushing to draw a bath and prepare the day’s ensemble.

 

“Has my brother risen yet?” she queried around bites of grapefruit.

 

“Yes my lady,” the servant replied, “the queen’s regent has arranged for a tour of the grounds for you and the young lords.”

 

Mina nodded her understanding and made short work of her meal before heading towards the waiting tub.

 

After she slipped out of her warm, lavender bathwaters she was perfumed and fluffed to within an inch of her life until she was deemed presentable for polite society.

 

Her slippers and ermine cape were slid on and the girl was quickly ushered into the courtyard where three men were already gathered.

 

Mingyu and Hansol gave a simple nod of acknowledgment, the latter looking far more gaunt than he had been upon yesterday’s arrival. Mina though it odd, but quickly pit it oit of her mind as her attention was drawn to their unknown companion who had shifted into a deep bow.

 

“Lady Mina, I presume?”

 

Mina smiled in agreement before returning a curtsy.

 

“Oh, there’s no need for that my lady. Joonyoung, at your service.”

 

“It’s a pleasure to make your acquaintance Lord Joonyoung,”

 

“Ob, I’m no lord,” Joonyoung chortled as he led the group towards the doorway, “ I’m merely a musician in the queen’s service.”

 

Mina scrunched her nose in confusion. Why would the queen’s regent assign a mere musician to be their guide?

 

Nevertheless, she followed quickly after Joonyoung, her brother and Hansol in tow, not wanting to get lost  in the twisting corridors.

 

Joonyoung looked back at her expression and felt obliged to explain.

 

“The queen’s regent wanted to ensure a comfortable transition, and being one of the few humans of position at court, your education was entrusted to me.

 

The trio shared looks of understanding and continued forward into the main drawing room.

 

Back at the Kim estate to the far north, the drawing room would’ve already been abuzz this time of day with powdered ladies and puffed up lords. An atmosphere of life and dazzling sunlight being enjoyed by all.

 

In contrast, this drawing room had the thick, embroidered curtains drawn tightly, with only the odd servant scurrying through.

 

Mina could not help but feel a sudden pang of homesickness.

 

As Joonyoung prattled on about the history and regulations of court life, a magnificent collection of women strode in.

 

Joonyoung noticed their arrival and quickly pulled the trio into a quick bow in the gathering’s direction.

 

Hansol noticeably bristled, while the two siblings subconsciously shrank in the face of a clear predator.

 

The queen’s regent, by contrast, seemed eerily at ease and chipperly led the group to greet the entourage.

 

“I trust your tour is going well Joonyoung,”

 

Joonyoung took bowed his head and answered,“Yes, your grace. I’ve been leading them through the rules, just as you instructed.”

 

The regent nodded her approval and carefully analyzed each of the new arrivals.

 

Her eyes landed on the future princeling

 

“I hope you are finding the grounds to your liking, my young lord.”

 

Mingyu flushed and quickly averted his eyes downward. He managed a terse nod, enough to satisfy the grand lady and she moved her gaze to Mina.

 

“As for you, my darling, the Queen has taken a shine to you,. She will be expecting you for tea at midnight.”

 

Mina curtseyed and replied, “Yes my lady, thank you.”

 

Jieqiong’s searing gaze landed at last on the third companion, a glinting look of mirth in her eye.

 

“And you, my lord, are you finding your stay comfortable?”

 

Hansol visibly shrunk beneath her gaze before swallowing roughly and coughing out a reply

 

“Yes your grace, I’ve been very..comfortable”

 

Mina found herself a unknowing witness to the briefest vestiges of sadism that flashed across the regent’s beautiful face before disappearing without a trace.

 

The mood was quickly broken as Jieqiong turned with a flourish to present her company.

 

“My council, the Ladies Chungah, Yoojung, and Sejeong.”

 

Joonyoung pulled the company down into a deeper bow as the Ladies smiled and nodded.

 

Jieqiong clapped her pretty hands together, clearly satisfied by the introductions, and excused herself and her company.

 

As the council moved on, Lady Sejeong placed a discreet touch on Joonyoung’s shoulder before continuing.

 

The small trio turned to their guide for explanation.

 

Joonyoung flushed a jolly pink beneath their gazes.

 

“My wife,” he clarified, “Since just this past June.”

 

To this, Mina could not hide her shock. Aside from the Queen and her Royal Consort, such unions were few and far between.

 

“That’s why you hold position at this court.”

 

The words came out much harsher than they were meant to and Mingyu let out a sharp, “Mina!”.

 

Joonyoung awkwardly cleared his throat and moved to defend himself, “Yes, the circumstances were unorthodox to say the least, but i pride myself in being one of the few humans to bridge the leap between the bedchamber and the chapel, if you pardon my vulgarity.”

 

Mina really felt herself a callous fool, once again a victim of her careless words.

 

The tour continued on a tense note and quickly concluded with Joonyoung giving Mima a terse smile as the group delivered her at her chambers.

 

She pondered what she could possibly do to make up her misgivings to the musician as she strode through the gilded doors.

 

She waved away the servants and shrugged her own furs off, before dramatically throwing herself on her bed.

 

Her self-chidings were cut short, however, a prick at her side painfully demanded her undivided attention.

 

On her bed, a gracefully embossed invitation had been placed. The heavy card was heavily perfumed with the scent of lilies,

 

It was the Queen’s awaited  summon to tea.

 

Mina carefully traced the golden embossing and smiled to herself. At last a chance at familiarity, far from home.

.