Fortuna

Blood Oath

    Jeon Somi was not

pleased.


Her corset was laced too tight, her shoes pinched her feet, and this maddening ceremony was dragging on at a snail’s pace.

 

To her right stood her regent, Jieqiong; clearly unperturbed by the officials’ prolonged airs as she took in the scene with comely smile.

 

To her left stood her general, Im Nayoung; contrastingly visibly bored to tears as she periodically dozed off, each time being roused by swift kick to the shin from her lieutenant, Siyeon.

 

The pair’s comical exchange had amused Somi for the first half hour, but now with the ceremony dragging onto its third hour and no consort in sight the queen found her patience wearing very, very thin.

 

She would have gladly risen to command the dowdy old head official to get a move

on had Jieqiong not had a vice-like grip on her arm as a warning under her fur stole.

 

Somi was stubborn, but a fool she was not.

 

The ceremony dragged on for another good quarter hour before the old fossils finally moved to announce the royal consort and his party.

 

The party was announced from the lower ranks up; every subject, from the lowest pageboy to the consort himself was called up to approach the throne and swear allegiance to the queen.

 

The pledges of devotion were fine and lovely, however, the noble seemed to have brought his entire estate to court and Somi found her attention drifting sometime between the head guard and the cardinal.

 

She turned to pull faces at her trio in between solemn nods at the new inhabitants causing Doyeon to let slip a snort just as a minor baron with a comically pinched up nose took his turn.

 

Jieqiong’s smile never faltered, but a sharp pinch at Somi’s wrist made her displeasure clear.

 

Somi pouted and rubbed at her offended limb while she reluctantly turned to face forward

 

“The Duke Chwe Hansol.” the official proclaimed.

 

The momentary release of Jieqiong’s grip caught Somi’s attention. She took in the boy at her feet, intrigued by her regent’s reaction. He was pretty enough, though somewhat bland in comparison to Jieqiong’s former flames, and so very young. Perhaps she’d merely been surprised by the boy’s unabashed glances at her.

 

As he moved on, Somi’s thoughts moved on as well and the next noble was announced.

 

“The Duchess Mina, daughter of the Kim line”

 

His sister then she mused as a pretty girl, probably no older than she was, nearly tripped on her way up to the throne.  She curtsied; a sweet smile on her face as she looked up to face the queen.

 

Somi mirrored her smile and sent a meaningful look to her trio, eager to integrate her into their group.

 

The girl moved on and the entire court peered their heads for a glance at their queen’s consort.

 

“The Duke, Mingyu, consort to the Jeon line”

 

Somi released a breath she hadn’t realized she’d been holding.

 

As she took in her future mate, she couldn’t help but think that they really

shouldn't have made the poor boy follow after his sister

 

 

 

 

A/N: Jieqiong @ Somi the entire ceremony.