010

Picking up the pieces

 

 

 

Hey... uncle Jack,” Jaeha found him cooking in the kitchen so she sat in front of him on one of the stools, “can I ask you a question?”

Obviously you can,” he smiled.

Appa wants to see me on tomorrow, should I go or not?”

Have you already answered him?” she nodded, “what did you say?”

Yes.”

Then just go.”

He said he would be alone but... I don't trust him... what if his boyfriend tags along? I really don't want to see him right now.”

If he comes, you politely tell him you'd like to have a moment with your father, if he isn't an , he'll understand and he'll let you two alone.”

And if he is an ...?”

You call me and I'll kick his !” Jackson said with a very serious tone which made her smile, “no seriously, I'm sure he is a good man. And I'm sure if Jinyoung said he'll come alone, he'll be alone. Trust him.”

He has made a lot of promises he hasn't been able to hold before, how do you want me to trust him?”

Just do it. You're a big girl, right? You should be able to forgive him.”

I have already forgiven him but-”

To me, it doesn't look like you did.”

What do you mean?” she titled her head a bit and frowned.

I still hear a bit of bitterness in your words whenever you talk about him.”

Well... that's not really that but... maybe it is... it's complicated, alright? It's just complicated. I'm not mad at him but at the same time, I'm mad at him. You understand?” he shook his head, “forget it,” she shook her head and stood up, “it doesn't matter. I'll just go to see him and if his boyfriend is with him, I'll just leave.”

That's how an adult would react, yes,” Jackson sarcastically answered, “now come here, taste this.”

 

He handed her a spoon of the soup he had just made and she gladly tasted it.

 

Yah! That's salty!” she grimaced and hardly swallowed the thing.

Really? I thought it was alright...”

Did you put the whole salt cellar inside or what?”

No just a pinch or two...”

More like a handful to me,” she scoffed, “why haven't you done pastas instead? Or instant ramens? It would have been easier.”

Your dad and Youngjae should be coming back from work soon and I wanted to cook for them, since they must had had a hard day.”

Youngjae is coming here tonight? He has spent the whole week here... doesn't he have a home?”

He has one with you and your dad, since they are together as a couple...” Jackson dared to say and looked up to see her reaction and while he was expecting her to get mad and to answer something mean, she just shook her head in disbelief.

Go away,” she said, “I'm going to cook.”

 

He tried to argue but in the end, she had the last word. He grilled the beef meat while she took care of the soup and ramens. Right when they were done, the couple came back home.

 

Oh! Jaeha!” Jaebum said when he spotted her behind the stove, “what are you doing here?”

I cooked us some food because we wouldn't have been able to eat uncle's.”

It wasn't this bad,” he tried to explain, “just a bit salty.”

It wasn't edible at all,” she answered back.

Anyway,” Jaebum cut them, “I'm starving! Let's eat!”

 

He sat next to Youngjae while Jackson and Jaeha sat in front of them once they were done bringing all the food on the table.

 

It looks delicious!” Youngjae smiled, “thank you for the food, Jaeha.”

 

She acknowledged his words but didn't answer. They ate while the workers told them about their days and Youngjae even answered one of Jaeha's question: indeed, she was wondering why he was at work on a Saturday while he was a high school teacher, but it turned out he had meetings with the parents of his students all day long.

 

Jae, tomorrow is Jackson's last day here, do you want us to do something together?” her dad suddenly asked her and she froze.

 

She nervously swallowed the food she had in and looked back and forth at her dad who was waiting for her answer and at her uncle. Jackson did a little motion with his head, telling her to simply tell him, but Jaeha wasn't sure she wanted her dad to know about her meeting with her father, so she sightly shook her head. He frowned and elbowed her in the side before whispering “just tell him!”.

 

Tell me what?” Jaebum asked, curious.

Actually... appa is coming here on tomorrow, I'm going to eat with him,” she admitted.

Really? Well, that's a good thing. Will he be alone?”

Yes.”

Oh alright! I see,” her dad chuckled, “that's why you've accepted to see him.”

N-no not really, it's because he said he wanted to see me.”

Liar,” Jackson mumbled.

Should... should I just tell him something came up at the last minute and cancel everything?”

W-what?” Jaebum frowned, “why would you do that? Just go and see him! I'll drive you to the place you're supposed to meet if you want to.”

It's alright, I'll take the bus.”

No, Jae, I insist. I'll take you there.”

 


Hi! I'm back with another chapter just like I promised!

It's not a big chapter either, but it serves to introduce what comes next. So Jinyoung and Jaeha are finally going to spend a few hours together, how do you think it will go? Share your thoughts with me! I'd like to hear what you have to say about it :)

And also, thank you very much to all of the subscribers, I can't believe we reached 76 subs already! Thank you very much guys!

See you on next Monday for another update :)

xx

Mae