Hero of War

Day By Day [Drabble Dump]

Hero of War – Rise Against
It was ironic. 

Daehyun almost laughed where he sat, propped up against the wall as he slowly bled out from his stomach. Around him his friends – his family –  lay scattered. All dead, and he would join them soon. 

He groaned, turning his attention to the body slumped against his side. If it hadn't been for the blood dripping down the side of his mouth, and the open chest wound, the man next to him appeared as if he was simply sleeping.

How Daehyun wished. 

Yoo Youngjae, his soulmate. If Daehyun had at least managed to save him, he'd be satisfied.

But no. 

Their little rebel group, with the six of them as the core, had been eradicated in matter of minutes. One moment they had been sitting together, enjoying a small meal. They couldn't afford much, but as long as they were together and fighting for the cause, they were happy. 

Yet, the door had been kicked in, bullets were flying before they could reach for their own guns. They hadn't even cared to finish Daehyun, snickering as they left him among the bodies of his loved ones. 

He had worked hard to be able to get next to Youngjae, to press him close for one last time. 

And it was all so ironic, because these men who had slaughtered his family would be deemed as heroes for crushing down the opposition, one of the last rebels from the old country. 

Daehyun closed his eyes, resting his head on top of Youngjae's as he welcomed death.