Disappointments

Girls In Love
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Doyeon and Yuna had gone to Yuna's favorite sports bar.  They were sharing a plate of cheese fries when suddenly Yuna tapped Doyeon on the nose with the tip of a fry.

"Hey! What's wrong? Obviously you're worried about something," she said.

Doyeon rubbed a smear of cheese off her nose. "I just keep thinking about one of tonight's patients," she said quietly.

"I don't even have to guess," Yuna said.  She stopped to take a sip of her beer.  "It's Ms. Jung."

Doyeon nodded. "Exactly."  She took a big gulp of her beer. "I'm trying to help her, but I'm afraid she's going to get hurt again."

"Oh, I've seen her records - she's definitely going to get hurt again," Yuna said.

Doyeon rolled her eyes. "You're not exactly helping."

"Sure I am.  Watch."  She gestured toward the fries on the plate.  "This slice of pepper is Ms. Jung. This black olive over here is you. The cheese is the ER.  That pile of fries is wherever Ms. Jung goes to get injured. Now, when Ms. Jung goes to get injured-" she picked up the slice of pepper and dropped it on the fries "-you can't go with her. You're stuck in the cheese. You have to wait until she comes back-" she picked up the fry with the slice of pepper on it, swiped it through the cheese, picking up the black olive "-and then you do your best to help her."  She popped the fry with the pepper and olive into .

"Hey!" Doyeon exlaimed. "You just ate me!"

Yuna shook her head. "No, but you come back to my place later. . ."

Doyeon laughed. "You're so bad. But you're right - there's nothing I can do but patch Ms. Jung up each time she comes to the ER and-"

"Hey!"  

They both looked up - Yoojung was headed for their table.

"I didn't know you guys knew about this place," Joojung said.

"I just found out about it," Doyeon said. "Yuna told me. We wanted to get a bite to eat but didn't want to deal with the crowd at Scrub Inn. We were so busy today we didn't have time to eat lunch.  You want to join us?"

Yoojung looked around. "No, you two look like you were having fun by yourself."

"There's not another table," Doyeon said.  "You might as well join us."

Having just come to the same conclusion, Yoojung sat down across from them.  Signalling the waitress, she ordered a beer and an order of fried chicken.

Gesturing toward the TV with her beer, Yoojung asked "What's on?"

"Oh," Yuna said, "we were focused on our food, hadn't even looked at the screens yet."

"And what is this - one order of cheese fries for both of you? That doesn't sound like the Doyeon I know!"

"We got the fries while we decided what else to get," Doyeon said.  Signalling the waitress, she ordered fried chicken, deluxe tteokbokki, and samgyeopsal.

"Now that's more like it," Yoojung said.

They chatted back and forth while waiting for their food to arrive.  "Am I imagining things," Yoojung asked, "or was Jung Hae-rim back in the ER tonight?"

"She was," Doyeon said.  "I treated her, and I managed to get her to contract for safety!"

"That's great!" Yoojung said, a smile spreading across her face.  Looking over at Yuna, she asked "Did you ever look to see what they're showing on the TV?"

Yuna nodded.  "It's American hockey, the San Jose Sharks against the Colorado Avalanche.  They're still scoreless in the second period."

Yoojung took a sip of her beer.  "That should be good."  Just then the waitress brought their food and even the game was forgotten while they ate.

When they had finished eating, Yoojung looked at Doyeon and said "I should be going.  Do you want to walk with me?"

Yuna looked up suddenly. "Oh, you two live close to each other?"

Doyeon nodded. "We live in the same officetel, about a block-" she pointed "-that way."

"Oh," Yuna said. "My apartments about 2 blocks that way-" she pointed a different direction "-so I'd better be going. It was nice getting to hang out with you." She stood up and got ready to leave. 

"Are you sure you'll be okay walking by yourself?" Doyeon asked.

"Oh yes," Yuna said, "I grew up near here. I know the area like the back of my hand. See you tomorrow!"

After she left, Doyeon and Yoojung left for their building.  As they walked along, they chatted like they had in medical school. "You'd better be careful," Yoojung said, as they let themselves into their building.

"Careful about what?" Doyeon asked nervously.

"Your nurse," Yoojung said. "What's her name, again?"

"Yuna."

"Right," Yoojung said. "Anyway, Yuna's apparently got a crush on you."

Doyeon shook her head. "You must be mistaken."

Yoojung smiled. "We'll see. Just stay on your toes and remember the hospital dating policy."

Doyeon scoffed. "If the hospital enforced the daying policy, every doctor on staff have been fired."

Yoojung shook her head. "That's different. Those end in marriage. That's not really an option for us, you know."

Doyeon nodded. "I'll be careful."

Yoojung pressed the elevator door. "You'd better be - I'd miss you if you were gone."

 

 

Ji Eun made it back to the garage just in time to see her mechanic in an argument with a bicycle messenger.

"I'm telling you," Young-jun was saying, "this is an auto shop, not a tool rental."

"I hear you," the messenger, "I'm just saying it's foolish of you to turn me down. I'm offering 20 thousand won to rent 2 wrenches for 2 minutes."

"And I just said-" Young-jin stopped short when he saw Ji Eun. "Hey, Doc," he said, wiping his hands with cleanser as he made his way over to her. "Unfortunately, your car's not ready. I had to order some parts and they're not here yet." 

Ji Eun's face fell.  "How much longer?"

Young-jun looked up at the ceiling in thought for a moment.  "It should get here Monday.  It's it's here before lunchtime, I should be done by Monday evening.  If it's later, it'll take me 'til Tuesday.  I'll give you a call Monday at lunch and let you know."

"Sounds good," she said, with a somewhat resigned note in her voice.  She hated being without her car on a weekend. "Um. . . if you don't mind me asking - why won't you rent tools to that bike messenger? It seems like he's willing to pay quite a bit for how little he's asking."

"Oh, that. . ." Young-jun motioned as if brushing aside the issue.  "Bikies are like fleas. If you let one get in, next thing you know you've got a full infestation."

"Or," Ji Eun said, leaning in closer, "why don't you do this-" 

Young-jun's eyebrows went up and his eyes flashed with excitement as he heard Ji Eun's plan.  "That just might work!" he exclaimed. "Hey bikie!" he called out.

"My name's Alex," the bike m

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter