Preparations and consequences

Girls In Love
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Soo-kyung looked around the kitchen.  She'd finished shopping for the day and had put everything where her cooks would be able to find it for tonight's dinner service.  Now it was time for one of her favorite parts of the day - making the day's menu.  She took down the blackboard in the dining room, wiped it clean, and put it on the owner's table.  She made herself a cup of tea while she waited for the blackboard to dry.  She sat down and drank her tea while she thought about all the things she had bought at the market that morning.  Together with the kitchen staples, it was like a sliding puzzle.  She had to use the ingredients at hand to make eight entrees and a dozen banchan, without ignoring any ingredient and without relying too heavily on any ingredient.  Once she was sure she had everything planned out properly, she took out a new stick of chalk and started writing the menu, her handwriting clear and confident.  She was about halfway through when a shadow fell across where she writing.  She looked up and saw So-eun had just walked into the restaurant, her knife roll tucked under her arm, her chef jacket immaculately white.  How So-eun managed to keep her jacket so clean while riding the bus every day was a mystery to Soo-kyung, but somehow she managed it.

"Good morning chef!" So-eun called out.  "Mussels on the menu today?"

Soo-kyung brushed back a stray strand of hair and tucked it behind her ear.  "I thought about mussels," she said, as she resumed writing the menu, "but then I saw the weather report.  It's going to turn colder a couple of days from now - that's when the mussels will be at their peak.  Thursday morning I'll go down to the docks and buy mussels fresh off the boats."

"Ooh!  Can I go with you?"  So-eun was practically jumping up and down with excitement.

Soo-kyung smiled at her assistant's enthusiasm, but just couldn't resist teasing her a little bit.  "Why?  You developing a taste for sailors?"

So-eun pouted.  "No.  I just - I want to learn everything I can from you, so that someday I can start my own place."

Soo-kyung smiled.  "Okay.  Be here Thursday morning at 6 a.m.  I'll also need you to come in early Monday morning."

"Why?  Do you need me to do the shopping Monday?"

Soo-kyung looked up at her assistant, squinting at the sunlight streaming in from the windows behind her.  "I figured you'd want to, since you'll be the one writing the menu for Monday."

So-eun gasped with excitement.  "I'll be cooking my menu on Monday?"

Soo-kyung nodded.  "I'll still be expediting.  It'll still be my kitchen.  But we'll be cooking from your menu."  

So-eun rushed forward and caught Soo-kyung up in a hug.  "Thank you, unnie!"

Soo-kyung laughed.  "Don't thank me yet.  I'll be watching you like a hawk, and I won't hesitate to give the potwasher the night off and add his duties to yours."

"Don't worry, I won't let you down."  So-eun went into the kitchen, put her knife roll down at her station and started unpacking it, putting every piece of equipment in its proper place.  Her own menu!  It was just one step from that to Soo-kyung letting her take over the kitchen for a night!  And then just one step from that to doing a pop-up under her own name!  She was already starting to plan, wanting to be sure that nothing went wrong, even though she knew that Soo-kyung was joking about giving the potwasher the night off.  Well, thought she was joking.  Or. . . hoped, really.  Her stomach did a flip-flop.  This would the biggest challenge she'd faced since passing her chef licensing exams.  She leaned against the counter, lost in thought, lulled into a sense of calmness by the scratching of Soo-kyung's chalk coming from the dining room.

 

 

After lunch, Yoojung was standing in the hallway outside Dr. Lee's office, waiting impatiently for the door to open.  She'd calmed down some since the night before - her plan now was to have Doyeon confined to Minor Injuries for a week and Hyo-jung kept out of a charge nurse position for as long as possible, rather than trying to have both conditions made permanent - but she was still upset at Doyeon for not listening her, and at Hy

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter