Discoveries and recoveries

Girls In Love
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Suyeon showed at Chez Lua just in time for her lunch date with Soo-kyung. She was wearing a breezy summer dress with a floral print pattern - the dress was a little too casual to wear to work, but a little too dressy to wear while sitting around the apartment, so she rarely got to wear it, even though it was one of her favorites. When the hostess showed her to her table, Soo-kyung was already there.  She stood up and pulled out Suyeon's chair, then sat back down opposite her.

"You look nice," Soo-kyung said.

Suyeon blushed. "You do too - I'm not used to seeing you in something other than your chef uniform."

Soo-kyung laughed. "Hopefully we can change that - the restaurant is finally reaching a point that it doesn't need my attention 24/7, so I'll have time to do things like date, like a normal human being."

"That'll be nice," Suyeon said. "I remember when I got my first promotion at work and suddenly I was working half as much overtime as I had previously. Who knows? Maybe someday I'll make partner and only have to work 40 hours a week!"

"Did you ever think of starting your own agency?" Soo-kyung asked as she poured them each a glass of wine from a bottle she had had chilling beside the table.

Suyeon shook her head rapidly. "No way. That'd be too risky for me. I like the security of a paycheck every week."

Soo-kyung shruggged. "Well, if you ever change your mind, I know a lot of local restaurant owners who could use the services of a good accountant."

Suyeon took a sip of her wine. "I'll keep that in mind," she said. Looking around at the menu board, she asked "So, what's good today?"

"It should all be good," Soo-kyung said. "So-eun's cooking from her menu today."

"It's hot outside," Suyeon said, "so the bibim neangmyeon sounds good."

"That does sound good," Soo-kyung agreed. "With maybe some jumbo salt-baked shrimp?"

Suyeon nodded. "Sounds good."

Soo-kyung summoned their waiter and placed the order. While they waited for their food, they sat and talked and drank wine. The conversation ranged over all aspects of life. It had been far too long since they'd had a conversation like this, Suyeon thought. Back when they were in college they'd sometimes stay up all night talking, but then they graduated and "real life" got in the way. She'd forgotten how nice it could be to hang out and talk with Soo-kyung. Of course, then she'd remember that Soo-kyung wanted them to be more than just friends now, and she really wasn't sure how she felt about that, especially after she had spent the whole day with Hae-rim the day before. She fell silent as she tried to sort out her feelings.

"You've gotten quiet all of a sudden," Soo-kyung said. "Is everything okay?"

Suyeon nodded.  "I've just got a lot on my mind right now." Thankfully their food arrived just then, so the conversation dropped off while they ate. Soo-kyung convinced Suyeon to try one of the shrimp with the shell still on. Suyeon tried it, but she didnt like it - she felt like she could never get all the chips of shell out of .

"Excuse me for just a second," Suyeon said. "I've got to go to the restroom. She stood up and had taken a couple of steps toward the back of the restaurant when suddenly her legs gave out and she was lying on the floor, apparently unconscious. Soo-kyung rushed over, checked to be sure she was still breathing, then called an ambulance. Apparently Suyeon wasn't as recovered from her concussion as she'd thought. 

 

 

Yooyung poked her head into the residents' room. "Doyeon, can I talk to you for a minute?"

Doyeon finished tying her scrub pants then looked up. "Sure. What about?"

"Just a sec," Yoojung said, "let's go get some coffee." She led the way to the coffee machine at the far end of the hall. Hardly anyone ever came this far down the hallway, so they'd have at least some degree of privacy.

As Yoojung fed a couple of bills into the machine and punched in their orders, Doyeon shifted nervously from foot to foot. "You're making me nervous here. I know you didn't just get a sudden craving for machine coffee, so there must be something wrong."

Yoojung smiled as she took the cups out of the machine. "Must there?"

Doyeon took a sip of her coffee. "Seriously, Yoojung, you're kind of freaking me out. If I did something wrong, just chew me out and get it over with."

Yoojung raised her eyebrows. "Did you do something wrong? Maybe something to do with the dating policy?"

Doyeon almost choked on her coffee. "What?"

"I was talking to one of the nurses," Yoojung said, her voice so calm that she might as well have been talking about the weather, "and she named you as an example of someone who's violating the hospital dating policy."

Doyeon rolled her eyes.  "One of the nurses! You know how nurses love to gossip."

"But there's usually something true at the base of the gossip," Yoojung said. "Is there something true at the base of this?"

"And who am I supposed to be violating the dating policy with?" Doyeon asked. "It's not something I can do by myself, you know."

Yoojung took a sip of her coffee. "She wouldn't say. But surely there must have been something that made her think y

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter