Demands and requests

Girls In Love
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Seo-jeong was just taking a batch of apricot pastries out of the oven when she heard the kitchen doorbell ring. 

"That'll be So-Eun," she thought to herself, as she put down her oven mitts and went to open the door.

When she opened the door, though, she was surprised to see that it wasn't So-Eun - it was Nayeon, Suyeon's former boss and now a wanted criminal, and another woman a couple of inches taller than her who Seo-jeong didn't know, but who seemed to radiate danger. Before Seo-jeong had a chance to say anything, Nayeon nodded and the taller woman stepped forward, grabbed Seo-jeong's arm, and twisted it painfully behind her back.

"Now that I have your attention," Nayeon said, "you've got a choice. Are you going to come with me quietly, or am I going to have to have Seol Hyun knock you out?"

Seo-jeong struggled to free her arm, but found that she was unable to even budge it. Seol Hyun flexed it and twisted it slightly and Seo-jeong gasped as a jolt of pain shot up from her wrist to her shoulder. She wanted to scream, but managed not to. "I'll come quietly," she said, with more bravery than she really felt.

Nayeon nodded. "Good. I thought you'd see it that way. Seol Hyun, let's go."

Nayeon led the way out of the kitchen and up to a BMW with darkened windows. She opened the back door, watched as Seol Hyun shoved Seo-jeong into the car and climbed in after her, then got into the driver's seat and drove off.

 

 

Carrying a matcha latte in each hand, So-Eun turned the corner into the alley behind Seo-jeong's bakery just in time to see a black BMW pulling away from the bakery door. "That's odd," she thought, "must be an eccentric VIP coming in for their morning pastry." She'd worked in the restaurant industry and had seen the oddities that wealthy clients were able to get restaurants to accommodate. 

When she got to the back door of the bakery, she noticed that the door was standing slightly open. Using her foot, she pushed the door open a little more. "Seo-jeong?" she called out. Not hearing an answer, she called out again. Still not hearing an answer, she pushed the door the rest of the way open and went in. Looking around the kitchen, she didn't see Seo-jeong. She wasn't in the bathroom. She wasn't in the storefront. But she'd been here this morning - the oven was on and the pastries on the cooling rack were still warm. With a sinking feeling in her stomach, she remembered the black BMW.

"That's ridiculous," she told herself. "Why would someone want to kidnap Seo-jeong?" Then she remembered what Seo-jeong had told her the night before, about Suyeon's girlfriend being an undercover cop and about the massive takedown of organized crime that she'd been part of. "What if someone thinks they could use Seo-jeong to get to Suyeon?"

Being careful not to touch anything, she stepped out of the kitchen, put the lattes down on the loading dock. She took out her phone and called the police. "Hello? I think my friend's been kidnapped!" She told the officer who answered the phone about Seo-jeong being missing, and the black BMW, and Suyeon's involvement in the big organized crime bust. He said they'd look into it, but So-Eun wasn't entirely confident - the way he kept looking for alternative explanations told her he didn't really think Seo-jeong was in danger.

As soon as she got off the phone, with the police, she called Suyeon. She told Suyeon the whole story, then Suyeon handed the phone of Hae-rim, who had her tell the story again. "Just stay where you are," Hae-rim said. We're on our way."

Once she got off the phone with Hae-rim, So-Eun picked up one of the lattes and took a sip. It was getting cold, but at least drinking it gave her something to do while she waited.

 

 

Once the car was on the freeway, Seol Hyun let go of Seo-jeong's arm. This wasn't as much of a relief as it might have been, though, because she was just doing it so she'd have both hand free to blindfold her. She patted down Seo-jeong's pockets, taking her phone and her ID case.

"Now," Seol Hyun said quietly, "just lean back, fold your hands in your lap, and enjoy the ride."

Seeing no other choic

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter