In too deep and no longer afraid

In Violation Of The Bro Code
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

NOTE: Hey guys. i didn't update last week because i had challenges with chapter 5. while struggling with it, i completed chapter 6, so i debated whether to hold chapter 6 back until next week or to update both now. You guys have been so nice showing this story some love, so i decided to post both chapters at once.
The story started taking a slightly angsty turn in chapter 4, so you guys deserve some happiness and that's what you're getting in these 2 chapters. Expect a lot of Jaebeom/Youngjae, Jackson/Jinyoung, Jooheon/Changkyun and Shownu/Kihyun fluff.
So here is both chapter 5and 6. Enjoy<3

 

*******

After the performance, Chanyeol joins us at the table and Youngjae introduces him to Jaebeom. The first thing Jaebeom notices about Chanyeol is how tall he is and then what a cute baby face he has then finally how friendly he is. Chanyeol gives good vibes right when you meet him. Jaebeom has met few people like that in his life.

About two weeks ago Jaebeom would have freaked out meeting Youngjae’s family and friends because that would have meant he was getting in too deep. What means is the gladness he feels knowing that Youngjae likes him enough to introduce him to family and friends.

This dinner tonight with these people is way too deep but Jaebeom just can’t bring himself to care of fear. He’s so done with all that now.

The jazz place they are at is also a restaurant and café, so everyone decides to stay longer and have dinner. Jaebeom appreciates their invitation for him to stay and join, so he does even though he’s eaten already. He doesn’t want to say goodbye to Youngjae yet, so certainly he can manage another light dinner for the sake of spending more time together.

Dinner goes pretty smoothly, well about as smoothly as it can with six people all conversing at one table. Topics of conversation really bounce around a lot but stick to a few mainly to music, the weather, league of legends, over watch, food and the weather. Sometimes everyone joins on one conversation and other times they break into units as the couples take moments to indulge in whispers, giggles, stolen kisses and blushing.

As the only two who are not officially a couple at the table, Youngjae and Jaebeom find themselves getting awkward and embarrassed one too many times.

Youngjae turns to Jaebeom with a huge and terribly awkward smile. “How is your food?” It’s the best and most interesting start to a conversation but right now it’s all Youngjae can reach for to distract from all the uncomfortably explicit romance at the table.

“Good.” Jaebeom’s lips stretch into a full smile, the kind that Youngjae knows means that Jaebeom is just a bit uncomfortable. “My burger is delicious.”

I’m sorry, Youngjae mouths to Jaebeom and discreetly gestures his head towards the others.

It’s okay, Jaebeom mouths back.

Youngjae smiles in relief and he is about to say something when Youngho cuts him, “so, Jaebeom, apart from taking care of people’s money, what are your other interests? You’ve barely spoken since you arrived. I hope you’re not uncomfortable.”

“I’m fine.” Jaebeom clarifies, meaning it. Chanyeol and Youngho seem to be very chatty, but they also seem nice and so far Jaebeom has no qualm with them.

“That’s good to hear.” Youngho smiles. “so, what do you like doing outside work? Sports?”

“I’m not good at that.” Jaebeom shyly rubs the back of his neck.

“aww that’s a shame. Chanyeol and I play basketball together. I was going to invite you to join.”

Jaebeom looks at Youngjae. “Do you also play?”

Yerim chuckles. “My brother has dodged sports since first grade.” She chortles and her brother stares daggers at her.

“I’m not that bad.” Youngjae desperately amends, not wanting to look bad in front of Jaebeom.

“It’s okay. I’m no good at any sport either. Not even one.” Jaebeom says reassuringly at Youngjae, who appears to feel better after hearing that.

“Aren’t you two just a match made in lazy heaven?” Joy coos

Youngjae blushes profusely and ducks his head, embarrassed. He takes a sip of his water, wishing he could press the cold glass to his burning cheeks without being obvious.

Without realising what he’s doing, Jaebeom slides his arm across Younjae’s shoulders, half resting it upon the back of their seat.

Youngjae notices the move though. Of course he does and the attention is very welcome. Youngjae peeks at Jaebeom who is so oblivious and calmly talking to Youngho and oblivious to the riotous beating of Youngjae’s heart. Youngjae supposes that’s his cue to relax as well, so he does, subtly moving a little closer against Jaebeom’s side to lounge more in the warmth there.

Jaebeom shares how his work is so taxing that he rarely gets the chance to enjoy his hobbies and Chanyeol immediately sympathises, also sharing how sometimes he feels like he has delved his toes into too many things at once and is now too busy even for his girlfriend.

“Its okay, Oppa.” Yerim croons, trying to pacify her boyfriend. “I like that you are a multitalented man who multitasks.” she kisses his cheek for good measure.

Smiling tenderly at Yerim, Chanyeol replies. “You’re so nice.” He leans down and pecks her on the lips.

At some point Youngho and Chanyeol zero in on the progress Chanyeol is making with his piano lessons. That’s when Jaebeom learns that Youngho is a professional pianist who gives Chanyeol lessons in his spare time.

By the time the dessert menu comes, Joy and Youngho announce that they have to leave.

“Why? Stay for dessert.” Yerim whines, pouting at her best friend.

“Sorry everyone.” Youngho says as he wraps his arms around Joy’s waist and rests his chin on her shoulder. “We have to shop for an anniversary gift for Joy’s parents.”

“What he means by that is I’ll do the suggesting and buying while he smiles and nods in all the right places.” Joy rolls her eyes. “So unhelpful.” She mutters the last bit under her breath, but everyone hears her anyway.

“Remember I made that suggestion and then you asked me not to make anymore?” Youngho gently reminds Joy. “I tried.” he shrugs.

“oh… right.” Joy cranes her neck to gives Youngho a quick kiss on the lips then she turns back to the table and makes a small wave of her hand. “bye bye guys.”

“Hold on, you two. Chan oppa and I are leaving too.” Yerim announces

“We are?” Chanyeol is caught off guard. Yerim not-so-subtly nudges him and gestures her chin at Youngjae and Jaebeom.

Chanyeol’s mouth forms an ‘o’ as realisation hits him. “Right. Okay let’s go.”

“Then we’ll leave too.” Youngjae says

“No.” Yerim sharply replies, holding out her palm to stop Youngjae when he starts to stand up. “You stay and enjoy dessert.”

Chanyeol stands up, “I’ll go to the cash register to pay for everything.”

“I’ll go with you.” Youngjo replies.

“You guys should let us chip in.” Jaebeom uses his thumb to point at Youngjae then at himself.

Chanyeol dismissively waves that off, “Not necessary. You guys can buy the next time we all hang out together. Deal?”

Youngjae tentatively glances at Jaebeom, uncertain whether there will be a next time.

Jaebeom feels Youngjae’s gaze upon him and turns towards it. The uncertainty and the questions are blatantly written in Youngjae’s eyes for Jaebeom to read. Without taking his eyes off Youngjae, Jaebeom makes his decision and voices it out. “Sure. Next time I’ll buy steak for everyone.”

Youngjae and Jaebeom stay like that for a  little while, staring at each other and smiling.

“Alright that’s that then. We’ll be on our way now.” Yerim says and gets up. Does the same, ready to leave.

“It was nice meeting you, Jaebeom.” Youngho says and Chanyeol nods, smiling at Jaebeom.

“Likewise.” Jaebeom replies. “I had fun meeting you guys and eating together. Thanks for the invitation.”

Joy and Youngho bid their final farewells and take their leave towards the register. Chanyeol and Yerim are about to do the same, but Youngjae stops them. “Wait a second. Yerim, promise me that you’ll head home right away.”

Yerim peers up at her boyfriend and then nervously looks back at her brother with a pleading smile. “I’m going to Chan oppa’s place, but only for a little while. I will go back to my place eventually.”

“I’ll make sure she does.” Chanyeol puts on his winning and most convincing grin.

Youngjae looks doubtfully at one and then the other. “10pm. make sure Yerim is at her house by then or I’ll come banging on Chanyeol’s door.”

Yerim fondly rolls her eyes at her overprotective brother. “I’m dating the world’s biggest nerd. If you call me later tonight and I’m hyperventilating on the phone, it’s probably because Chan oppa and I are re-enacting an action scene from the movie deadpool.”

Jaebeom chuckles and Youngjae kicks his leg under the table. “Alright I get it. You can go.”

Yerim clasps her hands and giggles in glee. “Thanks oppa. You two have fun now. Goodnight.” she grabs Chanyeol’s hand and they skip off before her brother changes his mind.

Jaebeom is still grinning at Youngjae even after they’ve gone.

“What?”

“It’s nice seeing this overprotective side of you. I’ve only ever seen older people taking care of you. Seeing you take care of your little sister is new.”

“Well I could be better at it. She barely listens to me as you just saw.”

“She respects you. I can tell?”

“You really think so?”

“Definitely. The moment I walked in here, I could tell that she really looks up to you, and she adores you.”

“I’ll feel a whole lot better if she stops spending nights at Chanyeol hyung’s place.”

Jaebeom smiles softly. “They are adults. The kind of thing is normal. Let them enjoy being in love.”

Youngjae finally smiles as well, actually feeling better about the situation. “I’m sure you’re right. I really needed to hear that. You sure know what to say to a frustrated and worried big brother.”

“I spend a little of time talking down people who are panicking about their depleting trust funds, pension funds etc.”

“I can imagine.” Youngjae laughs

“More importantly, I hate to see you worried. I’m a pretty good judge of character and Chanyeol seems extremely harmless. I’m sure Yerim is in good hands.”

Youngjae nods, truly assuaged. “I’m really glad you came here tonight.”

“Me too. I like your sister and friends. They are a fun bunch.”

“We are all good people when we are not harassing each other.”

Jaebeom laughs at that. “I could tell you guys were holding back the teasing. Next time, don’t.”

Youngjae’s heart still feels so warm and so full because of how well Jaebeom got on with Youngjae’s squad. Youngjae can’t find the words to express how grateful he feels towards Jaebeom for opening up to the people who matter in Youngjae’s life.  Youngjae can’t find the words to say how great it felt sitting beside him like a couple, conversing with other couples and being terribly familiar and domestic.

So what Youngjae does say is, “Shall we order some cake to complete an awesome dinner?”

“Yes please.”

*********

“Hello?” Jaebeom calls out as he enters Wooyoung’s house the next day in the morning.

“In the kitchen.” Wooyoung calls back.

Unsurprisingly Jaebeom finds San in the kitchen with Wooyoung. He is sitting on the kitchen counter with his arms and legs wrapped around Wooyoung like a koala while they are both looking at the phone in Wooyoung’s hands. 

Jaebeom harrumphs as he enters the room and the two look up from the phone.

“Good morning.” Wooyoung chirps in English.

“hi.” Jaebeom replies, taking a seat on one of the chairs at the kitchen island.

“you are just in time to make us some breakfast.” San says, smiling in a way that makes his eyes disappear to slits. Jaebeom likes his smile. It’s cute and sweet and unlike Wooyoung’s which looks like it’s meant to lure people into Satanism.

“what makes you think I’m here to feed you?”

“Wooyoung has told me about how good your baking is and that you plan on baking for us some time.”

Jaebeom sends his cousin a glare. “What other lies have you told your boyfriend?”

San shakes his head, without lifting his head from where his chin comfortably resting in the crook of Wooyoung’s shoulder. “Woo never lies to me.”

There is a smug grin on his face as he leans back into San’s embrace. “See? I’m an angel.”

Jaebeom rolls his eyes, but doesn’t respond.

“so I hear that you ended up playing match-maker last night.” Wooyoung begins, “how on earth did you achieve that?” he chuckles at the end. Jaebeom wants to throw something hard at him.

“Yes, hyung, pray tell us.” San adds

“I went to Jaehyun’s place to pick him up and I instantly noticed his friend with the creepy big eyes likes him.”

Wooyoung’s eyes widen in horror, “Oh my God, you noticed the eyes too, right?”

“Yes.”

“So scary.”

“Exactly. I didn’t want to get on his bad side, so I decided to hand over what’s clearly his.”

“Your match-making skills are superb. Jaehyun hyng texted this morning to tell us that he and Taeyong are a thing now.”

“Good for them.” Jaebeom smiles in realisation that he actually feels good about that. Apparently his cousin doesn’t let him enjoy that joy for long though.

“More importantly, hyung, it has become clear to us that you are undatable. That’s why I’ve decided that we should explore things with that Youngjae guy.” 

“I don’t need you deciding anything for me.”

“we will anyway.”

“Woo showed me a picture. He is cute.” San says.

Jaebeom gives his cousin a scandalised look, “where did you get a picture of Youngjae?”

Wooyoung waves it off with his palm, smiling crookedly. “We are now in charge of your dating life, so of course I had to show him what Youngjae looks like.”

“who is we? Why do you keep saying we?”

“WooSan.” Wooyoung replies simply

Jaebeom continues to stare in silence, maybe wishing Wooyoung and his boyfriend weren’t so disgustingly happy and in love. “do you two seriously refer to yourselves as that?”

“Of course. We are a team, a unit.” The seriousness on San’s face as he says that is a little rattling.

Jaebeom blinks, “Anyway, I’ve sort of decided to date Youngjae for real.”

Wooyoung lights like it’s the best news he’s heard all year. “Thank you. Finally.” He and San proceed to do some very interesting hand shake before turning back to Jaebeom with twin grins on their faces. “Since Mark hyung is still in the picture, you and Youngjae have to date in secret, right? We’ll help. It’ll be like helping a celebrity couple with their secret dates.” San offers.

“No. I’m putting my foot down.”

Wooyoung sighs in defeat. “Alright, hyung but at least allow us to meddle. It’ll be fun for us.”

San nods frantically. “Also, we’ll meddle anyway whether you like it or not.”

Jaebeom gives them both a bored, unsurprised look. “Did you call me here to tell me that you’ll continue being nosy?”

Wooyoung nods, “And to encourage you to date Youngjae.”

“Then you should have sent that in a text.” Jaebeom rolls his eyes. “After things didn’t work out with Jaehyun last night, I spent the rest of the evening with Youngjae and his family and friends.” It’s definitely not Jaebeom’s intention to mention that, but he finds himself sharing anyway because whether he likes the idea or not, Wooyoung can be an irritating brat but he’s the little brother Jaebeom never had. Jaebeom would rather die than ever admit it out loud but it’s true. 

Wooyoung’s face somehow brightens some more, interest piqued and he entangles himself from his boyfriend’s embrace to join Jaebeom at the kitchen island, taking a seat across him. San instantly jumps off the counter and follows Wooyoung. He wraps his arms around Wooyoung’s shoulders and holds on tight, resting his chin atop Wooyoung’s head.

For the second Jaebeom considers asking them if they are attached somewhere since it seems physically impossible for them to be apart, but he lets the fleeting thought go.

“Oh my God. How did that go?” Wooyoung asks.

“It was fun. They are a good bunch.”

Woyoung’s grin widens some more and he wiggles his eyebrows suggestively at Jaebeom is the most greasy way possible. “You really like Youngjae. I can tell. Are you guys going to hang out again soon?”

“I guess so. I promised him we’d sign up for a cooking class.”

“Today?”

“I don’t know.” Jaebeom says hesitantly. “We were hanging out last night, so maybe it’s a bit too soon to spend time together aga

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter