Epilogue

In Violation Of The Bro Code
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

NOTE: 

FINAL CHAPTER!!!!! While i'm happy that I managed to finish this without any glitches, i'm also unexpectedly emotional about saying goodbye to the story. I wish i could make it longer but I've thoroughly run out of ideas.
Receiving your love and support for this story has been a true blessing. i'll really miss connecting with everyone through this story. I hope i'll be back with something else soon so that we can connect again.

There have been a lot of elements to 2jae's love story in this fic, and I hope you'll all find this ending complete, satisfying and enjoyable.

Till next time, much love to you all and please, please take good care of yourselves during this time<3<3<3<3

**********

“There is something we have to tell you.” Jaebeom announces after Mark’s initial surprise that Youngjae and Jaebeom are here sitting together in a booth at a café on a Monday evening. There is almost no preamble. Jaebeom is so nervous and he’s just like to get everything out now before he loses his courage. He invited Mark here to talk things out because it’s a central enough place for them to talk since they can’t exactly do it from anyone’s apartment.

“Yeah?” Mark frowns slightly, looking at Youngjae and then at Jaebeom.

“Youngjae and I are dating.” Jaebeom quite literally blurts it out.

Mark just continues staring at them, not looking surprised at all. Jaebeom and Youngjae exchange a nervous glance before looking back at Mark who is still blinking at them.

The silence only gets thicker and thicker until Mark finally replies, “I know.” He mutters so calmly and quietly, but those words are impactful enough to leave Youngjae and Jaebeom rattled. They glance at each other again, wide eyed this time, puzzled and shocked.

“How?” Jaebeom asks

“I saw one of your stupid bucket hats at Youngjae’s place last weekend.” Marks answers with much effort to staying calm. The truth is out now and even though deep down he had a feeling about all this, he feels anger building up in his chest. He is hurt as well but probably more than that he is so disappointed in Jaebeom. How can someone who calls himself Mark’s best friend do this to him?

“Oh.” That’s all Jaebeom can say right away while his mind is searching for a way to go forward with this hellish conversation. Beside him, Youngjae fidgets a little and he is nervously fumbling with his fingers at the table. Jaebeom wants to reach out and hold his hand, give him strength and comfort but now is so not the time. Instead he eyes Mark, trying to gauge how he might be feelings about all this.

“That’s not all. You two aren’t subtle at all.” Mark continues. “The same day I went to Youngjae’s place, He told me he is seeing someone.” Mark’s gaze slides to Jaebeom. “Meanwhile for the past few weeks You’ve visibly been seeing someone he likes a lot but won’t tell any of his friends about. I can always tell because we’ve been friends for a long time. You are always forthcoming about your dating life. Suddenly this time you are not.”

Mark takes a long uncomfortable pause and then he adds, “To be honest I knew that you guys liked each other back in school as well.”

“You did?” Youngjae says in horror

“Anyone with working eyes could tell.” Mark chuckles humourlessly. “I didn’t mind because that’s normal. I’ve been there too. I once liked a boyfriend’s sister, but now that you two are still so into each other even years later and you’ve have been sneaking around like this, I’ve been wondering a lot of things. Did you two hook up back then as well behind my back?”

“No we didn’t. I promise.” Jaebeom quickly refutes.

“Was I in the way of the two of you getting together?” Mark continues like Jaebeom hasn’t even spoken. “Did Youngjae ever truly love me in the time we were together? Did Youngjae date me only because I got to him first? All that has been running through my mind but I still gave you two the benefit of the doubt, especially Jaebeom because a friend as good as he is wouldn’t do something like this. I convinced myself that I’m imagining things, that maybe you two have just gotten close as friends.”

Jaebeom lowers his gaze, too heavy-hearted and guilty to speak.

Youngjae swallows the lump in his throat and asks Mark, “And now… what are you thinking?”

“Now I’m thinking I don’t want anything to do with either one of you.” With that he gets up and leaves.

*******

Mark drives straight to Jinyoung’s café afterwards. Jinyoung can already tell that something is seriously wrong the Moment Mark walks into his establishment and asks I they can talk in Jinyoung’s office.

Mark isn’t surprised to find Jackson in Jinyoung’s office. Apparently he’s here to visit.

The moment they are all standing in Jinyoung’s office, “Did you know?” Mark asks Jinyoung right away and without preamble.  

Jinyoung’s heart jumps, a deep searing feeling of dread settling in his belly because he knows exactly what Mark is talking about. The anger emanating from him says it all.

Meanwhile Jackson, who is standing beside Jinyoung looks at them both with a puzzled expression on his face, wondering what the tension is all about. “What’s going on, guys?” he asks

“JB is dating Youngjae.”

Genuinely happy for his friend, Jackson’s face brightens with a grins. “JB is seeing someone? That’s great. So why are you two so glum about it?”

“He means Youngjae, his ex.” Jinyoung quietly explains to Jackson with his gaze lowered to the floor.

Jackson’s eyes grow wide and wider as realisation dawns on him. “What! Is that true?” he asks Mark incredulously.

Mark nods. “And I think Jinyoung has known all along. Am I wrong?”

With much struggle, Jinyoung meets Mark’s gaze. “If it’s any consolation, I told JB to tell you.”

Mark looks away, shaking his head and laughing mirthlessly while Jackson gapes in shock at Jinyoung.

Jackson takes hold of Jinyoung’s arm and turns him towards him so that they face each other. “You knew?”

Jinyoung nods and the disappointment that falls upon Jackson’s face is so wounding. “How could you keep something like that from us?” Jackson is saying.

“Because he and JB are ing selfish.” Mark replies, every word dripping with bitterness.

“Why would Jaebeom do this?” Jackson laments to himself mostly. “He didn’t even mention that he’s in touch with Youngjae.

“They reconnected a few months ago when they bumped into each other at a grocery store.”

“How romantic.” Mark drawls sarcastically

Jackson looks at Mark, “do you think…..” he trails off, taking his time to choose the least upsetting way to ask what he’s thinking.

Mark effortlessly reads Jackson’s question from the cautious look on his face, and he answers it. “JB claims they weren’t ing around back in school, but who the hell knows?”

“Mark I know you are upset, but you know that JB isn’t the kind of person who would secretly date someone you are also seeing.”

“He is doing it now.”

“You and Youngjae aren’t together right now. It’s been years since you two broke up.”

A muscle jumps in Mark’s jaw as he nods as if just realising something. “I should have known you’d only defend JB.”

“Come on, Mark. that’s not fair. I’m only saying facts.”

“Don’t you care about what this does to our friendship?” Jackson asks Jinyoung

“Of course I do. I have from the beginning. That’s why I’m asking the two of you to calm the hell down before you do ruin the friendship.”

Mark scoffs. “Now Jackson and I are the bad guys huh. How is that when JB is the one dating a best friend’s ex and you knew about it but didn’t say anything?”

“I hate to say this Jinyoung-” Jackson begins. “- but I wish you cared about Mark and I half as much as you care about JB. If you did, you wouldn’t be defending his bull.”

“Whatever. I’m out of here.” Mark announces and promptly leaves. Jinyoung lets  him go cause he figures it’s useless begging him to stay.

It’s just Jinyoung and Jackson in the office now, standing face-to-face.

“I do care about you and Mark too.” Jinyoung says and Jackson wants to believe it but he just doesn’t.

“I know I was being irrational and jealous when I accused you and JB of having some romantic thing going. Am I still irrational and jealous in believing that the two of you are closer to eachother than you are with the rest of us?”

“Yes.”

“No.” Jackson shakes his head. “I’m your boyfriend and you didn’t tell even me about JB and Youngjae. What the hell?”

“The less people we told the better, okay? It was a tough situation to deal with. JB didn’t want to fall so hard for Youngjae either but he just did. He never wanted to keep secrets from you guys but he just found himself in that situation. People have done crazier for love.”

“Am I supposed to ignore the fact that the two of you lied just because true love is involved?”

“No, but….” Jinyoung stops and sighs tiredly. He feels so exhausted already from talking about this. “You don’t have that much longer to stay in the country. Let’s not waste time arguing.” Jinyoung tries to reach for Jackson, who immediately steps back

Ouch.

“We are keeping big secrets from each other as friends and you think we are wasting time talking about it?”

“JB and Mark are grown men. They’ll sort out their issues.”

“Don’t you realise that Mark is more upset because you also didn’t say anything?” Jackson snaps with every bit of frustration and annoyance he is feeling. He turns his eyes heavenwards and moves passed Jinyoung towards the door.

“Where are you going?” Jinyoung asks

“To Mark’s place.” Jackson says over his shoulder. “Don’t wait up for me.”

********

Jaebeom finds Jinyoung at home, eating alone at the kitchen table with his head bowed and shoulders hunched over.

“Hey.” Jaebeom says as he takes a seat across Jinyoung. Jinyoung neither replies nor looks up “Where is Jackson?”  

Jinyoung finally looks up and Jaebeom notices how upset he is, the anguish in his red-rimmed eyes. It looks like he’s been crying too.

Concern clouds Jaebeom’s expression. “Did something happen?” he asks urgently. He wants to go to Jinyoung and hug him or something, but he gets the feeling that it’s not a good idea. If Jaebeom isn’t mistaken, Mark probably spoke to Jinyoung after he left the café. 

“Do you have to ask?” Jinyoung waspishly retorts. “Mark came to my cafe to give me a piece of his mind after which he stormed out. Jackson did the same not long after. They are both mad at you and me for lying to them.”

Jaebeom exhales and drops his face in the palms of his hands before roughly rubbing his fingers over his face and running them through his hair. “I’m sorry, Jinyoung.” He says most earnestly but it’s like Jinyoung isn’t even listening. He puts his chopsticks down to look squarely at Jaebeom.

“Jackson walked out on me and he is going to be staying at Mark’s house. I don’t know what that means and I’m scared less. Remember when I asked you time and time again to tell Mark the truth? You should have listened so that you don’t drag everyone into your crap. Now everyone is suffering. My already problematic relationship with Jackson just got worse.”

“I’ll talk to Jackson; I’ll do whatever I can. I’m really sorry Jinyoung. I’m so sorry.”

Jinyoung can see the tears b in Jaebeom’s eyes and he knows his best friend is just as hurt as he is about all this, but right now Jinyoung can’t find the space to sympathise with Jaebeom when all this is his fault. “You should leave.”

“Jinyoung-”

“I don’t want to say anything I’ll regret. Just go. Leave my house. You’ve done enough and your apologies are not helping anyone.”

********

“What happened? I thought you were staying at your friend’s place tonight.” Youngjae asks Jaebeom when he shows up at his doorstep a few hours after they left the café they met Mark at. Youngjae takes in how distraught and shattered Jaebeom looks.

“Jinyoung threw me out.” Jaebeom just barely whispers, feeling so depleted emotional exhaustion. Can I stay over?”

“Of course.” Youngjae takes Jaebeom’s hand and invites him inside. In the entryway, Youngjae reaches up to touch Jaebeom’s cheeks gently. “What really happened?”

“Jackson walked out on Jinyoung because Jinyoung kept our secret. Now everyone is upset with everyone and it’s my fault.”

Something pulls tight in Youngjae’s chest and tears well up in his eyes because of how utterly miserable Jaebeom looks. “How can I make it better?” Youngjae asks breathily, trying hard not to crumble. His boyfriend is torn up enough and someone has to be strong for them right now.

“Just hold me.” Jaebeom says brokenly, and Youngjae pulls him into the warmth and safety of his arms.

********

Jackson’s phone has been ringing nonstop while he is at the gym next morning. It’s Jaebeom calling. This whole Jaebeom and Youngjae thing has Jackson so tense and upset that he barely slept the night before at Mark’s place. He kept tossing and turning agonising about his argument with Jinyoung.

The fact that Jinyoung was hiding stuff from Jackson was a painful revelation for him when he thought things were finally starting to get better between them since he came to Seoul. Jackson isn’t sure he would have been able to keep Jaebeom’s secret from Mark, but Jinyoung should have said something to Jackson. Jackson has always thought that because he and Jinyoung are also boyfriends, their relationship is a little more special but he isn’t so sure anymore.

Once upon a time all four of them used to be so close and they trusted each other with everything they had. It makes Jackson sick with dread and worry that they are growing apart, that maybe they are no longer as close as they used to be, that maybe the friendship isn’t as important to some of them anymore. Friendship and loyalty are everything to Jackson and what’s happening to them makes him incredibly sad. Now he is taking his frustration and worry out on some weightlifting.

Eventually his muscles protest all the exertion and he plops down on a bench. That’s when he reaches for his phone. Jaebeom stopped calling at some point and left a text.

Jaebeomie:  I’m sorry for lying to you. At first I kept everything from you because I thought I could ignore my growing feelings for Youngjae. I swear I tried not to fall for Youngjae for the sake of my friendship with Mark and for the sake of us all, but I did fall in love anyway. I know I’m wrong and you can hate me all you want but please forgive Jinyoung at least. He was always against the idea of me keeping the truth from you and Mark. I’m really sorry, Jackson. Your friendship means so much to me and I never meant to sabotage it. I love both you and Mark to death.

Jackson sighs miserably after reading the text. He hates staying mad at Jinyoung and Jaebeom but he also can’t just open his arms to them because they deeply hurt his other best friend Mark.

********

“What do you think we should have?” Mark asks while doing the driving as Jackson looks up nice restaurants in Seoul on his phone.

The two of them were just at the movies together and they are now headed out to have dinner.

“There is a pasta place Jinyoung and I went to some time back but I can’t remember what it is. It’s a shame. The food there is amazing.”

“I’m sure we can find another pasta place if you are sure that pasta is what you want to have.”

“It is.”

“Okay. I don’t mind.”

They fall silent for a while. Mark doesn’t mind it because it’s not uncomfortable but it does however make him feel a little uneasy because it’s not like Jackson to be so quiet and to seem so jaded. Since the day he moved into Mark’s place, he’s been melancholy to say the least. Mark deeply appreciates Jackson’s support and his efforts to keep Mark’s spirits up, but this isn’t working.

Mark doesn’t want Jackson to suffer.

“You miss Jinyoung.” Mark says abruptly, surprising Jackson who slides his gaze away from the buildings they are passing outside to Mark.

Jackson ponders the statement for a few moments and a much as he’s like to deny it, he can’t. “I’m not sure I’m over what he did.”

“But you miss him.” Mark repeats

“Yeah. I miss him a lot.”
“You should go back to him.” Mark shoots Jackson a quick but meaningful look. “Yes he betrayed us, but mostly this is my fight with JB, and not yours and Jinyoung’s. You have few days left in the country and you should be enjoying them with your man.”

“What about you?”

“I’m a grown man. I’ll be fine. You and Jinyoung have had enough problems recently and you are just starting to heal. Go talk to him and figure things out. I’ll hate myself if my problems get in the way of what you guys have built since you agreed to try again.”

Jackson nods vehemently. He loves Jinyoung despite their problems and it doesn’t make sense for him to be somewhere sulking alone while Jinyoung does the same someplace else. Jackson would rather suffer, hate and agonise with Jinyoung than away from him.

“Let’s have dinner together first before I abandon you.” Jackson grins and Mark mirrors his expression. 

“How sweet of you.” Mark chortles

“While we are giving each other advice-” Jackson begins. “- I think you should try to let this thing with Jaebeom and Youngjae go. For the sake of your friendship with Jaebeom.”

Mark sighs. “I don’t want to fight either, but seriously who dates their best friend’s ex? That’s so messed up.”

“And I agree but I think you are not the only one suffering here. Imagine what Jaebeom is going through.”

“He chose this. Seoul is full of other people he could be dating but he chose my ex.”

“No one can choose who they fall in love with. For the record, I think Jinyoung was right. Jaebeom isn’t the type to date your boyfriend behind your back. His thing with Youngjae is probably recent. At least they waited years to act on their feelings. That’s something.”

“How would you feel if you found out that your boyfriend had a crush on your best friend the entire time he dated you?”

Jackson winces and hisses, shaking his head. Okay Mark wins this round with that one question. “I would be hurt and insulted.” Jackson admits.

“Well that’s how I feel.”

Jackson silently reaches out to give Mark what he hopes is a comforting squeeze on the shoulder.

********

Jinyoung feels like he might melt from how relieved he is to see Jackson again after 2 excruciating days of anxiety and uncertainty. Jinyoung didn’t know what to expect after Jackson walked out of this very office that day mad and disappointed.

Jinyoung wonders if Jackson will step back again if he tries to reach out. Afraid of rejection, he doesn’t try it.

Jackson doesn’t miss how tired and lethargic Jinyoung seems or the sadness in his eyes; and he realises too late that maybe storming out like that

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter