Chapter 12: The Prime Minister

The Little Prince

Jiwon looked at photo of the new prince on the front page, holding a child in each arm, surrounding by more children, reading children's literature in the classroom in the disaster area, he thought: "Good model for propaganda." In the past, Jiwon would feel sick about it, (the royal court conspired with media to convey to the taxpayer: your taxes are not in vain.) But he knew how sincere Jaijin was, because he witnessed all the... How did Jaijin accompany the childern to draw and his cuffs were stained with paint, how he imitated an orangutan and pretended to catch the children...until Suwon reminded Jiwon : "Hyung, it’s time to leave.“

“Just a minute! There is no other schedule later." When Jiwon said this, his eyes were still reluctant to leave Jaijin, and he was a bit sorry that he couldn't have a baby for Jaijin.

With the fact that the new prince had been considerate and close to the people in the disaster site, his approval rates in public opinion polls had increased slightly (mainly from woman and people under 30, and the approval rates from over 40 were still miserable.), The Imperial Household Agency began to arrange some informal meetings with politicians.

The first to appear was Prime Minister Liu. The long-ruling majority party leader has a saint-like reputation, and was even nicknamed "God Liu" by the people. He respectfully greeted the prince, but Jaijin replied: "Don’t be so polite, you are a public servant elected by the people, but I... I am a pet of the country. Your status is much higher than mine.” He made the Prime Minister turn into a deer in the headlights, “Sorry, I’ve never voted to your party, but you are a good person, I think I could get along with you well.”

He went on to explain to the Prime Minister his support for the abolition of the royal family: "Everyone may respect the current king and the eldest son of the king, and do not want to play the heavy. But I am an outsider and the public has no feelings for me. If the ruling party show the support, when the king and the eldest son of the king depart from us, the royal family could be disbanded automatically, and I could just go back to be a civilian!” He added: “Of course, if the other existing royal families need some pension, we could figure out the potential solutions, but I don’t think my cousins would need financial supports, they are all wealthy."

"Your Royal Highness, allow me to remind you that according to the constitution of our country, members of the royal family cannot participate directly or indirectly in politics, so the instructions about the structure of the royal law you have just give me... Please forgive me, I cannot give you any promise." The Prime Minister Liu kindly reminded Jaijin.

"I know! But since you are here. I think at least I can make a suggestion”

The Prime Minister nodded with a smile, then there was an awkward silence.

Then Mr. Liu gained his courage to ask: “Your Royal Highness, please forgive me...If I don’t follow your instruction, what will you do with me?”

"What else can I do to you?" Jaijin answered without thinking: "I will vote for your opponent's camp, secretly, in this election."

"Oh." Liu nodded, and then said, "Your Royal Highness, please forgive me, I have to lead the whole party. Please could you understand the difficulties, it just like...“

"Like corporate culture?" Jaijin asked.

"No, Your Highness, this is like fulfilling the needs of our customers, I have to take into account the preference of our party's main supporters," Prime Minister explained.

"What is the structure of your main supporters?"

"Most of them are middle age people, Your Royal Highness, although most of the young people prefer the idea of returning rights to the people, but the turnout rate of young people in the country has not been high, so...” 

"Okay, I got it." Jaijin nodded and ended the meeting.