Chapter 2

BestFriend
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

AT BAE'S PLACE

"Joohyun, darling, why do you look so excited for the festival? Are you going to stroll out with Jinyoung?" Mrs. Bae asked her only child.

"Nope, this idiot and I will attend a friend's party but probably I'll meet up with Jinyoung. He invited me out. I probably just meet him later after the party."

Mrs. Bae looked at her daughter's side and only gave a bitter smile. "Oh, I am glad Lisa's going to the party." She said. "Just drink responsibly, okay? And be home on time. Don't make me worry about you."

"Yes, Mom. And Lisa is with me. She'll take care of me." Irene assured her worried Mom.

Irene's forehead furrowed as she watched Lisa slicing the carrot incorrectly. She forgot her mom was even there. When she woke up this morning she headed straight to the kitchen and saw her Mom preparing the ingredients for breakfast she then volunteered to help her mom to cook.

Lisa being Lisa who always hangs out in their house especially there's no class today since it's Holiday, joined her but it's just ended up in a disaster when she's around the kitchen.

"Yah, what did I tell you? Slice it vertically. Why did you make it into triangular shapes?" She looked at the carrots and the horribly cut potatoes too. She carefully took the knife from Lisa and demonstrated how to do it correctly. The latter just scratched her head.

"See, it will be easier for mom to cook this. Why are you not even listening to me, Lili? I thought you wanted to learn to cook. At least try to learn how to prepare the ingredients properly, okay?"

Irene giggled because Lisa only gave her a pout. She also felt bad that she was nagging like a mom to her. She just watched her as she suddenly stood up. "Where are you going, Lili? Hey, you told me you'll help me and mom too? We won't let you eat free foods if you keep making excuses. No room for your lazy , Lili. Come back here!"

Mrs. Bae took a deep sigh seeing her daughter laughing as she was running around the kitchen. She just sadly shook her head as she slowly took her to leave. Good old memories. Lisa and Irene were really close to the point that they would always bicker every now and then and fight like real lovers.

She knew better than the two had something special. She would never judge her daughter and she actually liked Lisa a lot even Jinyoung seemed to be really a nice guy. She knew Lisa's someone who could make her only daughter really happy. She was still wondering why her daughter didn't see Lisa's feelings for her. She then went to check outside their house to get the bills from the mailbox. Her attention turned to Lisa's scooter. She smiled as she remembered how the two would always complain about the scooter shutting down in the middle of the road that they needed to push it until they got home.

She kept reminding Lisa to have it repair and finally the girl had listen to her. Now the scooter is just sitting outside their house because Irene just wanted to walk around these days.

Mrs. Bae could still hear her daughter's loud laughs from the house. A mother always knows best and wishes nothing but her child's happiness, no more or no less. She wished she could somehow make it possible.

Irene bid her mom goodbye as she didn't want them to be late at Joy's party. They already promised to come on time because it's always hard to invite her monkey best friend. She was so glad that for the first time Lisa then accepted without arguing with her. Perhaps because it's their last year in college.

Well, Joy's party was a massive one with a lot of high-profile students and university club leaders. Irene joined her other friends inside to get them some drinks. Lisa decided to stay away from the crowd and just be comfortable watching everyone enjoyed themselves.

"You're best friend is hot, Irene," Yeri commented as her eyes never left towards Lisa's direction who's now talking to an exchange student. "Do you know she's quite popular around the campus?"

Irene glanced at Lisa and she didn't like how Lisa seemed to be enjoying a random guy's company. She felt strange about it but why would she get mad about it when she wanted her best friend to go out and enjoy it at least once in while?

"Can you introduce her to us?" Joy butted in pretended like she haven't met Lisa beforehand. "I always asked you to bring her to my party so I could finally talk to her."

That only added to her growing irritation. She was not against Lisa earning new friends but she knew better than her other friends had motives, of course. She could be very protective when it comes to her best friend.

"She already likes someone else." She said shortly to make the other girls stop.

"Who's the lucky guy?" Yeri was still shocked. "Or a girl?" She was about to cry hearing the bad news. The two girls look devastated like Irene just dropped a bomb.

"No way, what is her type anyway?" Joy asked being intrigued.

"She said someone with black hair, intimidating, funny and smart person. And not picky on foods."

"The hell, Irene! You are describing yourself!" Yeri yelled.

"It sounded like Lisa's type is actually Bae Joohyun's full package." Joy added.

That made Irene think because she knew it isn't her rather it could be more fitting to Kim Jennie's description but Lisa already denied it when she opened the topic.

"I am not her type. Don't get threatened by me. I think she likes Kim Jennie. She was just too shy to admit it with me."

"My goodness. You almost got me a heart attack." Yeri said.

"It's fine Yeri we still have our chance." Joy encouraged.

"She's someone, I don't know myself too. I just have the hint that it's Kim Jennie because no one comes close with the descriptions." She sadly admitted. Lisa was being secretive with her lately.

"So are they together? Like officially? Who cares, right? I won't easily give up." Joy said with full of determination. "I need to step up my game."

"Hey, where are you going?" Yeri pulled Joy back to the bar. "No flirting tonight, Joy." She cautioned her tall friend.

Irene got relieved because Yeri could keep Joy busy. But it had her thinking too. Was it too much to expect that Lisa likes her more than as a friend? It could be something she could be very happy to know but she didn't want to be ahead of herself. It could only give her disappointment in the end.

On the other hand, Lisa found it cool to be talking to the exchange student she just met at the party. She learned that he was actually Jinyoung's lab partner and dorm mate. She asked why he was not around.

"That pal is so freaking busy. I think he's going to confess any time soon. He's been courting this girl for too long and she hasn't accepted his love yet. Maybe she's playing hard to get. Or she isn't really interested at all. I don't know anything about Korean culture and this is all new to me probably because I am a European and we are not that conservative compared to Asians."

"Really? We can never be sure of anything. We don't know what are they thinking of. But wow, I knew he'll be up for something." Lisa unconsciously said her thoughts.

"Excuse me?" The guy asked. "Were you talking about something else?"

"Oh, nothing."

"I think, I should check their drinks here. I wonder how rich Joy is to throw such a big party like this? I'll see you around Ms. Manoban. Nice to meet you."

"Same to you."

When she was then alone, she thought of many scenarios in her head. She was scared of losing Irene but she couldn't do anything about it. Why would she be against them if they truly love each other? She's just a best friend, so all she needed to do is to support her. She was not aware that Irene's already back and was just observing her from a distance earlier.

"Hey, you seemed so serious." She asked Lisa as she passed on the glass of cocktail to her. "Chill out, Lili."

"Thanks, I am just thinking about something." She took the glass from her and tapped the vacant seat.

"What is it? We're at a party you should enjoy, Lili." Irene seated next to her. And hugged her on the side. She's getting all so clingy for no reason.

"You know I don't really enjoy myself being at a party. I just go here because you need a company. Why didn't you bring, Jinyoung instead?" She fixed Irene's hair unconsciously. It's her habit though.

"What? Why would I even bring him to this party? It's Joy's party, not mine, you silly." She then rested her head on Lisa's shoulder. She always finds comfort whenever she leans on her reliable best friend. "It is nice to be sitting here next to you even there are a lot of noises around."

"Yeah, having you around feels nice regardless of the location, Baechu." She patted Irene's head like a small kitten. "Cheers." She took a small sip from her drink.

"Cheers," Irene replied.

"So have you accepted him? He has been asking you to be his official girlfriend. Uhm you know, did you say your sweetest yes to him already?" Lisa asked hesitantly.

"I am still undecided, Lili. But anyway he invited me to watch the fireworks display later." Irene excitedly said that she didn't see her best friend's reaction.

"What? You are not going to watch it with me at the dorm? You're unbelievable, Baechu." Lisa was somehow pretending to be hurt but there's more to it. She wasn't pretending to be hurt. She was acting to cover her true feelings. She's so broken inside.

"Well, I will still see you afterward. I will head straight to your dorm. I'll spend the night with you since I am still unconvinced that you are safe."

"Do you want me to fetch you? It will be too dangerous for you to be walking around." She asked with full of concern.

"No need for that. I can grab a taxi or ask him to drop me off at your dorm."

"He might be really confessing his feelings big time. Isn't he romantic Baechu? Didn't you know that when you confessed during the fireworks display then the relationship would be bound to last forever?" She had the haunch already.

"That is too cheesy. I didn't know you believe in such things. You are not even from Busan."

"Huh, I am more knowledgeable than you, Baechu, in terms of your hometown's history." Lisa bragged confidently.

"Whatever." Irene just rolled her eyes.

"Anyway, I will tell you something too later. I am so excited to know if Jinyoung would take his moves or whatnot. You would be a happy couple for sure. A perfect couple indeed." She tried to be positive. She didn't want to sound bitter in front of Irene.

But Irene noticed something off with Lisa. But she could not point it out. "Here you go again. You always tell me you have something to say then you'll forget about it. What is it really?"

"You'll know later, okay?" Lisa assured her. "Now since you already said it's a party and we need to enjoy the night to the fullest." She stood and grabbed Irene's hand gently like she was afraid to break her. She pulled her at the center with a bunch of partying students. "So be it, Baechu."

"No way, Lili. What got into you?" She asked because she was caught surprised. Lisa didn't like dancing at all.

"Yes way, Baechu. Show me your moves."

The two best friends bounced their heads like crazy at the dance floor. They were dancing in odd dance steps that other students started to copy. Irene loves Lisa's goofy side and she could not help but be left awestruck seeing how incredible the woman in front of her is. No wonder a lot of people are showing their interest in Lisa. She kinda felt scared too knowing one day Lisa would eventually find the person destined for her. Time will come that she'll be Lisa's least priority.

The music was too loud and they were not able to hear clearly so the two just shout to each other."

"Baechu!"

"Yah?"

"Baechu! Baechu! Baechu!" Lisa then laughed as they continued to groove with the music. Both were still bouncing like two idiots at the dance floor.

"What?"

"I LOVE YOU!" The alcohol helped her to be confident enough to shout it out on top of her lungs.

Irene didn't really hear it clearly but she was able to read her lips. She then smiled at Lisa."SAME!"

"Huh?" Lisa asked.

"SAME! I said the same. I LOVE YOU TOO!" she laughed so hard seeing Lisa's confused face. She didn't also know why she's saying it but she really loves her best friend. And saying I love yous are just normal to them. But she wished she could say it more and show it to Lisa because she thought it's never enough.

"I know! Because we're best friends. I will keep you forever, Baechu." Lisa understood that of course, Irene loves her. That's unquestionable and that's enough. She's going to tell her the truth later even if it's gonna be late because for sure Irene and Jinyoung will be an official couple. She would be brave for once so she wouldn't regret anything. She's just happy that she could spend time like this with Irene. She took the courage to kiss her on the forehead which made the latter blushed so badly and hid her face on Lisa's neck.

Suddenly the music switched into a much relaxing song. Most of the students left the dance floor and only couples were left dancing with them. The two found it hard to leave their positions. Irene loved the comfort that Lisa's shoulder was giving her. It's her favorite spot. She would surely envy any girls who could be this close with her. She wrapped her arms around her neck possessively. While Lisa pulled her impossibly closer and slowly put her arms around Irene's waist to secure the short girl. Students really didn't mind them, basically, everyone's drunk and busy.

"They changed the song, Baechu." Lisa whispered.

"I know."

"Do you want us to sit a bit?"

"No, let's stay and enjoy this moment, Lili."

"But we are going to look odd. We're not eve

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter