Chapter 3

BestFriend
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"Irene, Irene, hey wake up." A guy called out as he continued slapping the sleeping woman harshly. He found her lying on the cold floor at the balcony of the university dorm.

Irene's back was aching due to the hardness of the floor. Aside from that, she felt so cold. She wondered where she's at. She recalled, she did watch the fireworks display with Lisa.

"My golly, how did you even get here? Your mom has been looking for you." He was being dramatic as usual. He's one of the few male friends of Irene.

"Heechul, will you stop slapping my face? I am already awake."

", you got me nervous. I thought you're dead. I was just trying to confirm you're not." He's being a total snob. He could not contain himself. He always felt like he needed to pull her friend's hair.

"Aish, pull me up. I can't get up."

"Why are you even here again?" He asked as he assisted Irene.

"I promised Lisa to watch the fireworks display with her." She smiled widely. "I think we're official now, Heechul!" She bounced excitedly as she grabbed Heechul to join her doing the happy dance.

"Do you know that I should be spending my night with my new boyfriend? But I have no choice, your mom asked me to join her in looking for you."

"Aish, stop being an annoying gay. We need to celebrate. I am now Lisa's girlfriend." She said cheerfully and ignoring Heechul's glare.

Heechul's brows arched. "How many times should I tell you that...." He was not able to say it since he couldn't ruin Irene's mood. He rarely seen her this happy. "Oh, congrats, anyways. I am so happy for you, Irene." He smiled genuinely since it's really rare to see her friend this happy.

"Come on, let's celebrate I think Lisa kept some beer in cans in her mini-fridge."

He stopped her and held her tighter. "Irene, let's go home." He hesitantly said. He didn't want to be a bummer but it's best to bring her home.

"Don't you want to celebrate with us? This is the first time I'll introduce you to her. Don't be such a killjoy." Her eyes were pleading.

The next room's door opened and two female students came out. "Hello, can you guys tone it down?" The girl with eyeglasses reprimands them. "Who are you guys anyway? And how did you get inside the building?"

"Hi, there. I am Heechul and the beautiful woman beside me is my friend Irene." He nudged Irene to introduce herself but she just paid no attention.

"Hey, I am talking to you, Ahjumma."  She casually said.

Irene only scowled at her and was about to swallow the two girls in whole. The other girl was actually behaving and just observing. "Who are you to talk to us like that? Which college are you from?"

"Look, ahjumma. This is our dorm so you follow the rules. The two of you are outsiders so please try to be considerate to the students who wanted to be at peace." She then fixed her eyeglasses.

"Who's ahjumma and who are the outsiders? I am not. My best friend lives here. I mean my girlfriend." Irene corrected herself and pointed her finger at Lisa's room next to them.

"Sorry about my friend, she slept late last night. By the way, my name is Sakura. And this is Somi."

"Nice meeting you girls. I am sorry that we were so loud that we woke you up this early." Heechul explained.

"Gosh it's not even too early Heechul. That's why I need to wake my girlfriend up. This kids-" Heechul cut her off.

"Hey, Irene doesn't fight with these kids." Heechul tried to calm her down.

The two students laughed so hard. "Your girlfriend lives there? Do you mean the next room to us? Who is your girlfriend then?"

"Lalisa Manoban from College of Political Science." She proudly said knowing Lisa is quite popular with everyone on campus. She would love to brag it to everyone especially that they are now official.

The two students exchanged glances and were very puzzled.
"Who the hell is that?"

"Lalisa Manoban, she's my girlfriend. It's too impossible that you don't know her." Irene pointed out.

"Ahjumma, the only popular kids we knew are Yeji and Lia."

"Yah, be respectful to the elders, Somi." The girl with mid-length hair reminded her roommate who introduced herself as Sakura.

"Sakura it's fine, she's not even from the same University. She's really a trespasser." Somi removed her eyeglasses and rubbed the lens on her shirt. She gave both Heechul and Irene a knowing look. The two presence of adults in the dorm was kinda suspicious to her. So she could not trust them especially Irene who talked nonsense.

"Kids, we apologized but my friend here is just a bit disoriented. We will take our leave and sorry for the disturbance." Heechul meddles between the girls before it has gotten into worse..

"Yah, Heechul. Don't apologize. These kids should know their place. Why didn't I know that Lisa has new dorm mates?"

"Again we don't know anyone named Lisa and we don't have a dorm mate under that name. Basically, everyone here knew each other. So that could be hard to miss." Somi explained.

"Now you are confusing me. She lives here. That's her room. Room 327. She lives here since day one of her freshman year." Irene pointed again to the last room next to the spiral stairway.

"Are you drunk?" Somi asked as she shook her head.

"I don't think so. I only got few drops of cocktail, last night." She paused to recollect the events at Joy's party. "You should come to Joy's party. You'll enjoy it."

"Now who's Joy?" Somi asked.

Irene started to wonder why the two girls seemed not to know the famous students at Kyungsang U. Are they naive or just plain clueless? Maybe they were not the hippie ones.

"Joy, I mean Park Sooyoung." She waited for them to react but got none.

"Is she famous also just like this Lalisa Manoban you mentioned earlier?" Sakura asked curiously.

"Oh no, don't pull that kind of joke on me." Irene frowned. "Just saying the name Joy then everyone knows who she is. The smart, rich, famous, and spoiled brat Park Sooyoung. The head of the student council."

"Uh," Sakura just sighed because she couldn't really comprehend Irene the more she talked with her the more she got confused.

"Come on, the name is Joy." Irene getting frustrated.

"Ahjumma, I don't know but probably you're referring to a different University. Sorn's the current Chairman of Student Council." Somi answered on behalf of Sakura who seemed to be conflicted if she should talk more or not.

"Sorn?" Irene paused because she knew the name. "The Thai girl, right?"

"Yeah, finally we're talking," Somi said.

"At least now, you're talking about someone we know." Sakura smiled warmly. She wanted to know more about this confusing lady in front of them.

"But isn't she still freshman? How did Sorn become the Chairman? It's hilarious I was just hanging out last night with Yerim and Joy at the party."

"Uhm, is she okay?" Sakura's asked Heechul in a low voice. She didn't want to offend Irene. She felt that the woman is older than them.

"She's fine," Heechul answered shortly but it was obvious he's losing his patience already with Irene. "Irene, let's go. Let's not bother the students." He tried to hold her to lead her to the elevator.

"No, I can't leave without saying goodbye. I'll just talk to Lisa a bit. I will tell her that I'll be back later."

"Irene," Heechul felt the need to really grab and drag her outside the dorm because she never listen.

Irene hurried to Lisa's room but it was locked. She thought probably the girl overslept. "Yah, Lili, open the door. Have you forgotten I am still here?"
She continued to knock and it was just dead silence at the other side of the door. She was not liking it and grew even more worried.

"Irene, let's go home." Heechul had been saying that several times that he couldn't count anymore. The two girls were just looking at Irene and became intrigued as to why she's persistent to get inside the room.

"Ahm, unnie it seems no one is around." Sakura scratched her head. She didn't know what exactly she was feeling towards Irene. She couldn't help but to like all of her features. Just by seeing her for the first time, she knew she got a crush on her. It's just too sad Irene's already taken by this person under the name of Lisa.

"No one is really around, what the hell, Sakura?" Somi butted in. "That room-"  She was not able to finish because Sakura glared at her.

"Unnie, some of the students might waken up too because you've been knocking so hard. Before the guard comes around, I highly suggest that you guys leave the dorm."

"Aish, Heechul can you tell these girls to be quiet?" She instructed him. "It's  weird that Lili isn't opening this door. Probably she left early but why did she leave me alone?"

Fears were visible to the two girls. When the elevator opened. They moved aside when the head guard arrived. Students are all scared of his presence. He's known as the super strict head guard in this dorm and no one dared to go against him especially with regards to violating the Dorm's Policy. The two bowed to give their respect as well as Heechul who gave way to the head guard who came out from the elevator. They didn't want to get themselves to any trouble. They knew the head guard was there for a reason.

"Miss Bae," He said calmly. His face softened as Irene's attention was on him.

"Oh, good thing you're here, Guardie." Irene smiled widely as she approached the guard.

The girls got amazed at how Irene talked to the head guard casually as if they were really close. It was the first time someone talked to him without even flinching.

Sakura started to be more interested in Irene. Like who is she and why she seemed so intimidating?

"It's nice to see you again. I was not able to meet you up last night. The new guard informed me about your arrival." He apologized to Irene.

"You're acting silly. I always see you around." With her comment, the guard paused and thought of something then Irene slightly smacked his shoulder. "Anyway, did you see my Lisa go out?" She stared at the closed door. "She didn't tell me she would go somewhere so I am just wondering..." She felt bad that after she have gone through some lengths of hardship to finally confess last night, Lisa had the audacity to leave her alone.

"Your Lisa?" He asked teasingly.

"Yah, yes, she's mine. Finally, she's officially mine, Guardie." She was blushing.

"Oh, did she ever confess, Miss Bae?" He wanted to know because it was kinda interesting if Lisa really had the guts to confess. She's the super-shy type of a girl he knew of.

"I initiated it." Irene proudly said.

"I knew it." He chuckled. "That kid's too shy to even admit she was in love with you."

Irene was kinda puzzled by the guard's remark but just shrug it off. She just blushed even more because she was not expecting that the guard knew as well Lisa's feelings for her. Deep inside she wanted to squeal especially as she recalled how she and Lisa talked about their feelings last night and sealed everything by a passionate kiss. She unconsciously touched her lips.

Heechul looked at the head guard as if silently instructing him to do something and in a snap, he realized what the latter meant. "I have the access card." The guard fished out the card from his pocket. "Would you like to check the room, Miss Bae?" He was kinda hesitant but Heechul gave him a nod as if telling him he's doing just fine by offering this option to Irene.

"Really, we can do that?" Irene's eyes sparked and with full of hopes. "By the way, Guardie why are these kids scared of you? They finally shut their mouths when you arrived." She whispered to the guard and giggled. She tried not to make it obvious to the other girls.

"Uhm, I don't know, Miss Bae." He scratched his head then threw the two girls a glance which made them retreated back inside their room. Heechul who witnessed everything just chuckled. The Head Guard has been always soft with Irene even he has the snobby and strict impression that terrorized most of the students. Heechul knew that the latter is a good friend of Lisrene so he's really grateful that he's nothing but supportive to Irene.

"Gees, I forgot to unplug my laptop." Somi made an excuse so she could leave as soon as possible. She could not stand the presence of the Head Guard.

"Yeah, I need to do my laundry too. Nice meeting you Mr. Heechul and Ms. Irene. Bye for now." Sakura bowed at them.

Irene waited as the guard opened Lisa's room for her. She felt odd because something was not right. And the inside of Lisa's room wasn't the way it should have been. Her brows furrowed and she did blink a couple of times.

"What the hell happened here?" She asked in disbelief.

The guard opened the door wider for Irene to see the entire room. "Miss Bae..."

"How could this happen overnight?" She asked still not believing what she's seeing right before her own eyes.

Heechul patted the Head Guard's back as if telling him he could handle it from there. He then followed Irene inside Lisa's room. He observed the room for a couple of minutes too.

"Irene, your mom's waiting." He stood next to her. "No one's here so let's go."

"Guardie, I think we're in the wrong room." She shook her head. "Let's go to Lisa's room."

"Miss Bae, this is room 327." He said sadly. He couldn't look at her straight in the eyes.

She scanned every corner of the room. Lisa's room looked like a storage room with plenty of boxes piled up. On the other side there's a pile of used mattresses then across there were huge shelves with random school folders. There was no trace of Lisa in it. The smell was different too. There were cobwebs at the ceiling.

"I was just with Lisa last night. Did she transfer to a different room early in the morning while I was sleeping?" She didn't know if she's asking something rational or whatnot. It's too impossible to move all those stuff inside Lisa's room overnight. And judging the state of the room it seemed those were sitting there for a couple of months or so. And maybe years. She couldn't understand if she missed something.  She always visits Lisa's room daily and spends time with her. So it didn't really add up. Nothing adds up. It made her confused. She kissed her last night and it was real. She felt Lisa's lips. They shared their first kiss on the balcony last night. She didn't imagine it. It happened.

"Let's leave, Irene. Let's talk about this later, okay?" Heechul tried to encourage her. He knew she was getting all confused.

"Miss Bae I am so sorry, and if you need anything. Uhm if you want to get access to the dorm just tell me okay? I will get you a copy of this room as well." The

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter