11

Don't Say Goodbye

 

Junhyung sat there, staring into space. Do I really have special feelings for Ji Eun? No, I just think of her as a sister, that’s all. I should save her! She is my special friend, how can I leave her there to face your nightmare?

He grabbed his car keys and left the house in a hurry.

Ji Eun shook his uncle’s hand off hers as soon as they were in the house.

“Uncle” she greeted him with an emotionless tone. That earned her a slack on the cheeks.

As she cups her hands, he glared at her.

“That’s what you get for escaping yet again!”

She shrank back as he approached her once more, hands ready to hit her once again. She shut her eyes and waited for the impact. But nothing happened; instead, he tied her legs up.

“Don’t think of escaping again. Your boyfriend is with Hara, he won’t come back to you. Why would he? You are just a stray he picked up from the street.”

His words cute through her heart like a knife but she kept her poker face on, not giving him the satisfaction of seeing her cry. She had enough of this life. Why is he blaming her for everything that had befallen upon him?

“Isn’t some of the things that happened your fault too?” she blurted as he turned to leave.

He turned back, his face getting red with fury. Grabbing her hair, he placed his face close to hers.

“Say that again.”

She glared back defiantly “Aunt left because she doesn’t love you.”

“Why you little-” his hands reached for something before he grabbed his hand back with a hiss. He reached for the object again and held up a kettle with stream coming out of it.

“You are going to get it from me.”

Junhyung went as fast as the car could go, gripping the steering wheel with both hands tightly and stepping on the pedal. He reached the house and saw that the lights were on. Hiding his car from the plain view, he slinked into the shadows, walking carefully towards the house. The lights were on, which means that her uncle was probably inside with her. His hands touched an abandoned baseball bat and he picked it up, placing it on his shoulder. As he approached the house cautiously he strained his ears as he picks up the voices inside. There was a scream of agony and Junhyung rushed in without a thought, kicking the door open with his legs and only armed with a baseball bat in his hands.

The scene he was welcomed with makes his blood boil in anger. He was pouring a kettle of hot water with stream coming out onto Ji Eun’s legs. Junhyung grit his teeth and hit his head with the baseball bat as hard as he can, but her uncle merely snapped it into half. Landing on top of him, Junhuyng was trapped and Ji Eun kept on calling out his name.

“So your boyfriend came to save you.”

Pinning him to the ground he stare back at Ji Eun. Pulling him up, he landed a punch on Junhyung’s face, before letting go of his collar and making him kneel on the ground.

“I will let her go if you beg me to.” He looked down at Junhyung coldly.

Junhuyng made no move to say anything and he tried to stand up and kicked him but stumbled and fell. That only managed to make him furious and he kicked Junhyung in the stomach. Ji Eun watched the scene with tears in her eyes but she kept quiet, making herself as unnoticeable as possible. The kettle was now on the table, and she searched around for a weapon. There was none. As he raised his legs up to kick Junhyung once again, she poured the kettle of water down his back, screaming for Junhyung to leave. He thrashed around, roaring in anger as the water dripped down his back, burning his skin.

The two helped each other out and Junhyung kicked him to the ground, before running back to the car hand in hand. Once inside the car Junhuyng called the police while Ji Eun stared straight ahead, her hands shaking. He reached over to take her hand and squeezed it, sending her a comforting smile. She managed a weak smile back. Junhyung’s face was bruised, and they immediately went back to his house. She treated his wounds carefully, while he stared at her.