As Good A Promise

Guardian ChAOS

 

I could hear them muttering around me, a soft continuous murmur that didn't give way to words immediately. I put a hand to my head, trying to remember what happened. I heard surprised exclamations of "She's waking up!" around me. Then, what had happened hit me at once, and I bolted up right.

"Where is he? Is he okay?" I muttered, looking around at the spinning world and the blurry shapes around me. I begged my eyes to see clearly, and soon enough, my vision came into focus. I found the brunette standing beside the bed I was on and smiled, launching myself at him. At first, my legs didn't want to hold, and he was holding me up as much as I was clinging to him for support.

"Yuri, are you okay? Hyunsun told me about...the angel, and what she said. Are you okay?" Taeyang muttered, holding me tightly until my legs found their strength. I couldn't think about me, about how to answer him. All that was in my head was relief that he was okay, that he was standing strong and proud, and that he was alive. A lump in my throat wouldn't let me speak properly for a moment, but I finally got my words out hastily.

"I was so afraid that I couldn't help you... You're okay, right?" I said softly, hiding the tears that were falling by burying my face in his chest. He ran one hand through my hair and rested his chin on my head.

"I'm fine, thanks to you... What about you? ...Yuri?" But I couldn't answer through the sobs that I had broken out into. My shoulders shook violently as I cried. He lightly kissed the top of my head and I held him tightly, as if I was afraid that he would disappear if I didn't. And, perhaps, I was. He pushed me away slightly and looked me in the eyes. “Yuri... Are you okay? The blood on your dress...” he muttered. I looked down and frowned. I had gotten little specks blood on the pretty white dress the angel had given me.

Aw... Now I feel bad. I was really hoping not to get this dress messed up. The angel was so nice to give it to me...” I muttered, tugging at the front of the dress to get a better look at the blood flecks.

Don't use your powers anymore,” Taeyang said sternly, tilting my chin to so that I was looking at his serious expression. I blinked at him as I formulated a proper reply.

I'll only use my powers if it is an emergency,” I finally said. I looked around and didn't see any of the others, which worried me a little. “What about the others? Are they okay? They were with you, right?” I asked.

They are fine. Just a few cuts and bruises, so it's nothing to worry about,” he answered. I nodded and smiled in relief. Everyone was okay. Everything was fine. I sat down on the edge of the bed, and it wasn't until then that I realized how worn out I felt. I considered laying back down for a moment or two, but I didn't want to worry Taeyang. The door to the infirmary suddenly burst open and a small light brown haired bullet shot in, hugging me tightly.

Yuri! You're okay! Hyunsun said that you kept your promise, but that he wasn't sure if you were okay. You're okay, right?” Hyunmin asked, talking at a hundred miles an hour. I smiled softly at him as he pulled away and looked at me with big brow eyes.

I'm fine, honey,” I said, ruffling his hair slightly. He smiled back at me and hugged me again. He pulled back again as if he just remembered something.

Oh! Yuri, come with me! I have something for you,” he said, smiling at me and taking my hand. I glanced at Taeyang, who was grinning at me as if he knew something I didn't. Which, he probably did.

I allowed myself to be dragged by the eight year old to his cabin. I wondered what it was that he had for me. And why. I couldn't for the life of me think of what he was going to give me. He stopped me right inside the door to his cabin and smiled at me.

Close your eyes, Yuri,” he said. I did as I was instructed, hearing him pull something across the floor, and judging by the direction, it was probably under his bed. There was a soft thump as he set what ever it was on his bed. “Open you eyes.” I opened my eyes to see a box on his bed. It was about the size of a shoe box, and on the top, written in his messy handwriting, was 'For Yuri'. He gestured for me to come closer, so I walked over to stand next to him. “Open it,” he said, his eyes bright with excitement. Carefully, I moved the lid off of the box and lifted the light paper out of the way. Inside was a shirt, a pair of shorts, and a small jacket that had a high collar on it. I looked over at Hyunmin.

How did you get...?” I started to ask, my voice trailing off near the end.

I made them. Because you always wore those borrowed uniforms and they were so baggy on you. And you're always so nice to me, so I made these for you,” he said, blushing and looking down shyly. I looked at him in surprise.

You made these for me? You're so sweet!” I said, hugging him tightly.

Try them on! I want to make sure they fit,” he said, pushing away from me, his face bright red from embarrassment. “Knock when you're done,” he continued, shuffling out of his room. I giggled at his cuteness.

Turning back to the clothes, I noticed that they shorts looked like they were made of the same material as the naval issue pants, so I figured he probably tailored them to be more my size. As the white dress fell to the floor, I put on the shirt, which was dark teal with lace trim on the bottom and a white floral design on the side that looked like it was hand-painted on. The cut of the shirt went to the base of my neck with decorative but useless buttons sewn on. The top of the scar on my neck was visible, but just barely, so I picked up the jacket and put it on. The collar was high on the neck and the sleeves were long. The back of the jacket stopped just below my shoulder blades and the front only clasped at the neck. Satisfied that I got the jacket on properly (and that it covered the scar on my neck), I pulled the shorts on. They sat snugly on my hips. They were black. And short. Really short. It felt strange to me after being used to the baggy pants for so long. I walked over to the door and knocked, letting Hyunmin know it was safe to come in. He opened the door and smiled upon seeing the outfit on me, which fit perfectly.

Good! Everything fits,” he said, his smile so wide and bright that it lit up the room. “Sit on the bed.” I blinked at him, confused, until he pushed me towards the bed.

Alright, alright!” I said, going over to sit on the bed. He sat down slightly behind me and pulled one side of my hair back and around to the other side, pinning it in place. Where he got the bobby pins, I have no idea. “There!” he said, hopping off the bed. He picked up the white dress and inspected the blood on the front. “What happened...?” he asked softly. I got off the bed and slipped the white shoes the angel had given to me back onto my feet.

I-it's not my blood,” I lied, not wanting to worry the eight year old. His face relaxed back into it's usual smile as he looked up at me.

I'll get the blood out for you,” he said. I was about to protest, but he shoved me out of the room with that same smile on his face. Wait, it wasn't the same smile. There was some mischief behind that innocent face. Just as I wondered what he was plotting, he pushed me into the hallway...and right in to the arms of Hyunsun. The door closed behind me as I caught myself on the blond's upper arms. I turned and pulled a face at the door.

What is that kid plotting in there?” I muttered.

I have no idea,” Hyunsun said, as confused as I was. He looked me up and down. “That outfit looks nice on you.”

Thanks. Your brother made it for me,” I said, smiling as I inspected the lace trim.

I know. He showed it to me the first day I met you, right after dinner. Well, most of it. The shirt wasn't painted at the time and he still had to finish tailoring the shorts, but yeah, he asked me what I thought,” he said with a shrug.

Uh oh. What did you say?” I asked, because at the time Hyunmin asked, Hyunsun was still mad at me. Hyunsun smiled at me.

I told him that, since he made the outfit, you were sure to love it,” he said. He leaned forward and looked me over again. “Something else seems different.”

W-well he fixed my hair a little,” I muttered, shifting away from his scrutiny. He shook his head slightly.

That's not it... Oh I know what it is. You don't look blue. Your skin tone actually looks...healthy,” he said, smacking a fist against his palm. I stuck my tongue out at him.

That's because I don't have all of those injuries messing with my circulation anymore,” I said, stepping away from him again. “Anyway, what brings you here?”

Oh, right. The captain wanted to see you,” he said, his face giving away the fact that he had forgotten until I had asked that he was here for a reason.

When did you plan on telling me this?” I asked, a sly smile on my face. He looked away and ran a hand through his hair.

U-um, well I was going to tell you as soon as you came out, but I got distracted,” he stammered. I giggled and poked him in the arm before spinning to walk away.

Well, I guess I should be on my way, then. Can't keep that cranky old man waiting too long, or he might get mad at me,” I muttered.

The captain and I didn't really get along. Most of it was because he saw the Guardians as tools and not people, but what can you do? I heard Hyunmin's door open and Hyunsun telling his brother he was coming in, and finally the door closed. With a sigh, I looked back. How was it that I hadn't ever seen Hyunsun before? Just as I turned back to continue, I felt a pressure in my chest and coughed violently into my hands. I dropped to my knees and kept coughing as the pain in my chest intensified. When I was finally able to stop, I brought my shaking hands away and stared at the blood in shock.

W-what the...?” I muttered. I couldn't figure out what happened, or why it happened. I looked around quickly and confirmed that no one was around. With that, I stood up with shaky knees and went to the bathroom. In my rush, it took me a few times to get the sink running, but I managed and stuck my hands under the running water. I glanced up into the mirror and noticed the blood on my mouth. After wiping the blood off and rinsing my mouth out, it looked like it never happened. Taking a shaky breath, I turned to walk back out.

Do you know why that happened?” a voice said behind me. I paused, recognizing that voice. It was the angel. “It's because you used your powers. You're at your limit. To continue using them will hurt you, starting from the inside. Please, for your sake, don't use them anymore. I cannot repair the damages caused this time,” she continued. I sighed.

I've already promised Taeyang that I will only use them in an emergency,” I said softly.

That's not good enough!” she yelled.

It's as good a promise as I can make,” I said, pushing the door open and walking out. 

 

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Alright, so I got the sketch up for Yuri as the main image for the whole story, but this one shows the outfit Hyunmin made for her ^^