Bridging the Gap

Guardian ChAOS

 

We came to a crater where a shopping center once stood, pausing at the top to look down. Minor Demons were in the middle of the crater, eating something. I decided I'd rather not know what they were eating and turned away. Hyunsun put a hand on my shoulder to steer me away before they noticed us, but it was too late. One of the small black Demons had looked up and seen us, flaring it's blood red wings and screeching to inform the others of our presence.

Dammit...” Hyunsun murmured, running a hand through his hair. With a sigh, I faced the Minor Demons again, noticing that Hyunsun had put himself slightly between them and me. I made a face at him and strode out to meet the Minor Demons. The captain had told him to conserve his energy for the Demon group we were looking for, and this wasn't them. That's why he wasn't teleporting. Plus, I didn't trust him enough to have him teleport me first, which he would have to do. I figured he would teleport me far away and then continue the mission alone. But the captain didn't tell me to conserve my energy (though Taeyang and the doctors did, so don't tell them I decided to do this). The small black Demons screeched in unison, some running and some flying towards me. They were fast, but almost carelessly, I waved a hand at them. A wall of fire formed in front of me and sped towards them, leaving charred corpses in it's wake.

See, I'm not useless,” I said, trying to hide the dizziness. I hadn't used that much power since the day I almost died. The doctors wouldn't let me. Once I was certain that I wouldn't topple over, I turned to smile at Hyunsun, who was looking at me funny. He quickly composed himself and nodded slightly, looking away from me.

Not bad,” he muttered. With a shrug, I went back over to him, stumbling slightly on the uneven ground. He raised an eyebrow at me and started walking away. I reached down and picked up a small rock, throwing it at him and hitting him in the back. Which I regretted immediately as I turned away and slammed my palm into my face. I could feel his eyes burning into my back. Why the hell did I just do that? What was I thinking? I thought I was trying not to piss him off anymore! So much for that one... He started walking away again and I shuffled to follow him.

S-sorry, I have no idea why I did that,” I muttered, ducking my head and linking my fingers in front of me to prevent myself from doing something stupid again.

I'll let it slide this time,” he growled, not turning to look at me at all as he walked on.

By that time, daylight was fading fast. Hyunsun decided it would be a good idea to make camp somewhere, and I pointed out a building by the river that still had three walls up, the roof crumbling where the missing wall should have been. It looked stable enough, though, compared to the rest of the buildings around. With a nod, he lead the way over to it, with me following silently behind him. The interior of the building was mostly destroyed, with only one small wall remaining. Hyunsun and I began clearing the debris on the floor enough to have a flat surface to camp on for the night. We stacked wood and whatever else we found that was flammable into a small pile in the middle, and I lit it with a smaller version of my flame attack from earlier. Because nights got really cold, since the day the world as we knew it ended. We sat on either side of the fire in silence. I sat there, looking into the fire, absorbed in my own thoughts. I figured Hyunsun was doing the same because he didn't say anything for a while. The sun sank below the horizon, and the cold set in quickly. I scooted closer to the fire, drawing my knees up and hugging them to keep warm. I closed my eyes and tried to think of anything other than the boy across from me, or the days around the time I almost died. I found myself wondering how the others were doing on their mission, and I hoped they were okay. I felt a shiver go down my spine as a gust of wind blew in, causing the fire to flicker slightly. Suddenly, there was someone sitting next to me. I opened my eyes and looked at the blonde boy who had come over to sit beside me. He didn't look back at me.

You look like you can use all of the body heat you can get, and people tell me I'm like a human furnace,” he muttered. I snuggled closer to him, earning a raised eyebrow in return. He was right, he was really warm. He sighed and shook his head slightly.

Who are the Demons we are looking for? The only thing I got from what the captain said was that they attacked you when your brother came back without you,” I said softly, watching the fire leap in front of us. He was quiet for a moment, and I wondered if he was going to answer.

There were four of them, and they were strong. The leader gave me their names, when he thought he was going to kill me. The leader was Bathin, and the other three were Lilith, Thamuz, and Marchosias. Trust me, I look forward to destroying them. No-one uses my brother as bait and gets away with it,” he said, curling a fist.

I'll do my best to help you,” I muttered. Hyunmin was really sweet to me, and to think they used such a young kid as bait made my blood boil.

Taeyang would kill me if you got hurt, so be careful, okay?” he muttered, raising an eyebrow at me. I looked up at him and smiled.

I wouldn't let Taeyang kill you for my carelessness. After all, you're not my babysitter,” I said. He flicked me in the forehead.

You should be careful anyway. From what I can tell, you're all kinds of hurt,” he said. I scoffed slightly. If he only knew... We sat in silence once more, but this time, he broke it. “I never thanked you for healing me, so...thanks,” he murmured, looking away from me. I shrugged as best as I could while I was leaning against him.

It's my job,” I said simply.

Even so, I made you come all the way to my cabin from the infirmary,” he said.

I was on my way to my cabin anyway to take a break,” I said. He let out a short chuckle.

That makes me feel worse, because you were supposed to be taking a break. From what I could see, you needed one, too,” he said. I drew my knees closer to my chest, trying to think of something to say that wouldn't make him feel guilty.

I wanted to go. Especially after he told me who it was that needed the help,” I muttered. He looked down at me with an eyebrow raised.

Why?”

Because I felt bad...that I kept Taeyang from going after you. He was hurt pretty bad, and I insisted that he stayed long enough for me to heal him. By the time I did, he couldn't find you. I felt like...your injuries were my fault,” I said softly, drawing circles in the dust on my other side. I didn't want to look at him, to see if he was even more mad at me for not letting help find him that day, for letting him get hurt. The only noise for a few moments was the crackle of the fire.

It's not your fault. I would have sent him back, anyway, if he was as injured as you say he was. I could barely defend myself, and if he had come all banged up, he might have died because I wouldn't have been able to protect him,” he finally said. I sat up and scooted away slightly, looking at him with wide eyes. The thought of any of them dying...hurt. He looked back at me, but the usual coldness was gone. “Don't blame yourself for what happened to me, okay?” he said, motioning for me to scoot back closer to him. I looked back at the fire in silence, until I was able to form words again.

None of you are allowed to die, you hear me?” I said firmly, still not looking at him.

Is that an order?” he asked, amused at my choice of words.

I would just...feel bad if anything happened to you guys,” I muttered, still stubbornly not looking at him.

Even me?”

Even you.”

Even though I've been a jerk to you?”

I can understand where you're coming from.”

Is that so?”

You're enjoying this, aren't you?” I asked, finally looking at him. He was smiling, and his eyes were sparkling with amusement. He laughed at me.

I find it intriguing that a little girl is ordering me around, yes,” he said, tilting his head slightly.

Who are you calling 'little girl'? I'm only a few months younger than Dongmin!” I said defensively. He leaned towards me.

You're still a few years younger than me,” he said. I crossed my arms and looked away.

W-well you're old,” I said.

I'm younger than Taeyang!”

Well, Taeyang is old too!”

Just wait until you're my age...”

You'll still be old.”

You're enjoying this, aren't you?”

I am,” I said with a smile, proud to have turned the tables on him if even for a moment. He pushed my head and I toppled over.

Little girls should get to sleep,” he muttered. I nudged him with my foot.

Old men should get to sleep as well,” I said, trying to contain the giggles that were threatening to come out. It was strange how, in just a few moments, we both had managed to bridge the gap between us and come to some sort of...understanding.

Just be careful if we find them, okay?” he said softly, breaking the silence that had lapsed. I nodded, still lying on my side.

Don't worry about me. I'll be fine,” I muttered and closed my eyes. After a while, I heard him lay down as well. I listened as his breathing slowed, signaling that he was sleeping. Soon, the steady rhythm of his breathing lulled me to sleep as well.

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I feel just terrible that I'm updating this faster than Days of Infinite, but my brain seems to have ground to a halt on that one, even though I have tons of ideas for it. But right now my ADD is getting the best of me, and I'm hyper, random, and falling asleep at the same time. So, ta-ta, loves~*goes to attempt to pass out*