Chapter 1: First Time in Forever

Flower Crown

It's scary how I'm getting used to the loneliness. I sometimes feel comfortable, yet itchy from the loneliness. As I walk to school, I remember next month is already the end of my freshmen year. My first year of highschool just went like this. I've always wanted to achieve things in life, but I couldn't make a commitment.

My name is Naeun, and I was bullied in middle school. When I moved up to highschool, I wanted to  change desperately, so I moved to a far away highschool. Well, things did change because people there didn't know my horrible past. No one judged me. No one did any harm, but I was alone. I felt invisible.

It's not people's fault that I was alone. It was me who couldn't  change to a more social kid. I had no one to blame, so I was mad at myself.

Because our school's at the end of the year, people tend to bond to each other more. Friendships grew stronger, and even love grew in those young teenage hearts. I didn't care that I was alone because I believed if I had a friend, I would be betrayed, bullied, etc. I just wasn't ready, and I was scared. Today felt different, though. For the first time in forever, I felt like something exciting would happen to me. My heart felt tingly, and my lips couldn't stop smiling. What's wrong with me?

                                                 .                              .                               .

As I was walking to my fourth period, a guy bumped into my shoulder, and papers fell out of my folder. I didn't know why, but I felt that it was intentional.

"Oops," the guy said, "Sorry, I'll..." He paused as soon as he saw my face. He stood absentminded as I began to pick up papers from the ground without saying anything. His friends came up to him, and he left with his crowd. I noticed he was in my fourth period class. I never bothered talking to him, nor wanted to talk to him.

His name is D.O. He is considered "popular," and I hated that. The girl who used to bully me at my middle school was popular. I abominated popular kids... They are so fake and heartless.

Great. We are changing seats in fourth period. Even greater, we are CHOOSING where we are sitting. I hate it how I have to get used to being alone at a different spot, and how I don't have friends to choose where to sit.

As I was just moving my seat to the front (because no one wants to be in the front), D.O came up to me and helped me carry my stuff.

Wait, WHAT? I thought with a shock. Why is he helping me?

I noticed that he was carrying my stuff next to his seat. Nope. Not going there. I quickly stopped him and said, "What are you doing?"

"Sit next to me" D.O said with a warm smile.