Would You Like to Make a Wager?

My Best Friend's Soulmate
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

‘Hmm… would she be texting him right now even if she’s in class??’ Bomi glanced up at her severely unexpected visitor. If she was… then Bomi most certainly would have to nip it in the bud as soon as possible… Ohh who was she kidding… Bomi had witnessed Eunji taking the phone into the bathroom with her. She was probably texting him right that minute.

 

Bomi analyzed her table mate’s actions. Ilhoon was currently (covertly) typing away on his phone... Well… unless he was just staring at his lap beneath the table, but Bomi sincerely doubted that...

 

‘Ahh, what the heck am I doing?!’ she thought to herself. Bomi realized that she should’ve been taking some action and contacting Eunji, instead of practically waiting for Ilhoon to get a text and for their cover to be blown.

 

Alright… so all she had to do was distract her best friend’s soulmate from his phone, just long enough to text Eunji on her own.

 

‘Okay, c’mon best friend telepathy!! Message to Eunji, for the love of god, don’t text h—‘

 

*ding*

 

“OPPA!” Bomi shouted across the table to get the boy’s attention.

 

To her dismay, it wasn’t only Ilhoon’s whose attention she got. Nearly everyone on that floor turned towards her, despite it being one of the floors where you could actually talk to each other. Yeah… that’s how loud she was. It was only made worse by the fact that Bomi had no idea what to say after and Ilhoon’s wide-eyed gaping lasted for at least ten seconds before she could even think of anything.

 

“Can I… have your… phone?” her eyes zeroed in on his iPhone, avoiding his bewildered gaze. “You see… umm… m-my phone has really bad… reception. I need to call… someone.”

 

“Ohh… uhh… yeah, sure. Just gimme a second.” Still a bit confused, he scrambled to close the text from Minhyuk and go to the dial screen.

 

While he considered himself a rather unlucky lad, this was the one time Ilhoon could say that his luck did him well. After all, the text that he had just been reading was from none other from Minhyuk himself (after Ilhoon’s stealthy debriefing of the situation to which the reply was “Got it! Won’t text her, don’t mess this up for me!”).

 

“Here.” he handed the phone over to Bomi after he was sure that there was nothing that could get him in trouble, noting that her eyes lit up like a kid’s on Christmas morning as the phone reached her palm.

 

“G-gomawo… I’ll be right back.” she accepted the phone quickly and rose from her chair. “Watch my stuff, please!”

 

By the time Ilhoon could even utter an “okay”, he realized that it was of no use since Bomi was already halfway across the room…

 

‘Man… How is she always able to disappear so quickly?’ he thought as he ped his backpack and unpacked his laptop and notebook. ‘Well, time to get to work…’

 

 

As Bomi power-walked down the hallway towards the bathroom, she typed an SOS text to Eunji as fast as she could. If she caught her quick, then maybe (god forbid!) she wouldn’t have to go into Ilhoon’s phone and delete anything.

 

Bomi already felt horrible enough that she had lied to him and taken his phone under false pretenses. Even if he had given her access to his phone, Bomi was positive that he wouldn’t have expected her to do anything other than make a call.

 

*BZZ BZZ BZZ*

 

“Perfect timing!” Bomi hit the talk button after her phone started to vibrate.

 

“Hey! Is everything alright?” Eunji asked through the receiver. “Are you at work?! Is there a fire at work??”

 

The poor girl had assumed the absolute worst when she read the text, and grabbed the bathroom pass before exiting her classroom and dialing Bomi’s number.

 

“No.. What’re you talking about??” a confused Bomi responded, noticing the slight panic in her best friend’s voice.

 

“You said that there was a code red emergency! I figured you meant a fire?” Hearing Bomi’s nonchalance, Eunji’s worry level dropped from 100 to 0. All Bomi had said in the text was ‘CODE RED EMERGENCY’ with nothing else (and yes, complete CAPS and all, which only added to her anxiety).

 

“What…? In what world does that mean a fire??” she paused, racking her brain and finding absolutely nothing.

 

“YA, YOON BOMI!” shouted an irate Eunji. “Have you ever even LOOKED at our employee handbook??”

 

“Umm, that’s beside the point……. ANYWAYS!” eager to change the subject, Bomi finally brought up her unexpected guest. “I texted you because I’m at the library right now and guess who I’m with!”

 

“Noo…!”

 

“YES!!”

 

“Minhyuk?!”

 

“MINHYUK!!

 

“…How??”

 

Eunji could barely believe it… Even if he did go to their university (which she seriously couldn’t remember if he did…) what were the odds of the two actually running into each other?!

 

“Uhh, well apparently, it would SEEM that he goes to this school!” fumed Bomi. “…and a certain somebody didn’t tell me.”

 

“…Mianhae, Bomi…” Eunji apologized. “Chincha, I totally forgot!”

 

A stretch of silence followed as Bomi flip-flopped on whether she should be angry. She whole-heartedly wanted to be angry, but you don’t get to know someone for years and years and years and not know when they’re telling the truth. It also honestly didn’t surprise her because Eunji’s scatterbrained-ness had multiplied ten-fold since the announcement of her soulmate’s arrival (and Bomi could attest to the fact that Eunji’s normal level of scatterbrained meant leaving her purse on top of the car or putting her keys in the fridge…)

 

On the other side of the phone-line, Eunji was silent because she couldn’t help but feel guilty (and nervous) about Bomi and her soulmate’s meeting. There was no doubt that she had gotten caught up in the excitement and fear of Minhyuk coming that she missed a glaring detail.

 

“Well…… fine. You’re lucking out since I’m feeling merciful!” Bomi said reluctantly. As much as she wished it, it wasn’t like the both of them could do anything now anyways.

 

“OKAY, on to the reason why I texted you!” Bomi started (finally). “Code red is because I need you to not text him since he decided to sit at my table and study.”

 

“Oh my god… But I just texted him like ten minutes ago!!” Eunji’s eyes widened as she realized that she could’ve messed everything up.

 

“Should be fine, he just got to my table like…” Bomi paused to look at her watch. “…Seven-ish minutes ago? I also asked to borrow his phone just in case you guys were texting.”

 

“Ooh! Sneaky, sneaky, Yoon Bomi… but, understood! No text

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter