Second Time's the Charm

My Best Friend's Soulmate
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

“Oh man.. what did I save his new cell phone number as…??”

 

Our bomber jacket bench-warmer managed to sneak away from his beloved bench to somehow plan an exit strategy for this doomed date. He was too busy fumbling with his phone to notice that at that exact moment, his angel was executing her exit strategy of nose-diving behind a bush (quite clumsily, if you might ask).

 

“Ahhhh… ottoke… of all the girls in Seoul, why did it have to be her…?” the boy asked noone in particular as he tapped the call button and heard his best friend’s “Gangnam Style” ringback tone. He knew his luck was crappy, but this crappy? It took him about 30 seconds after he had seen his friend’s soulmate to figure out that this was officially fight-or-flight for him… and you’d better believe that he was going to fly his outta there if he had a say in it.

 

“C’mon, Minhyuk… Jebal, pick up your phone…” he pleaded as he waited anxiously

 

“ILHOONIEEEE! HOW IS SHE? IS SHE EVERYTHING I COULD’VE POSSIBLY DREAMED OF?!?! IS SHE BEAUTIFUL? AHH CHINCHA, IT DOESN’T MATTER BECAUSE SHE’S MY SO--”

 

The poor boy winced and pulled the phone away from his ear as his best friend, Minhyuk, loudly barraged him with questions.

 

“YAAAA!!! Cool it, this isn’t the Spanish Inquisition, Squirrel-Prince!!” he shouted, interrupting said onslaught of questions.

 

"Wait... have you even met up with her yet?"

 

“Umm… I… uhh…” Ilhoon paused, waiting for any kind of excuse to come to him… He regretted not thinking his exit strategy through more properly and after awhile, he could only come up with the oh-so-smart answer that…

 

“Something came up! I can’t make it to the park anymore...” Ilhoon whispered into the phone, surveying his surroundings for the girl with the striped sweater.

 

"YA! Are you chickening out?! This is super important to me, Hoonie… Jebal, I really need you to meet her!”

 

“If it was soooo important, then maybe you should be the one here!” Ilhoon couldn’t help but retort back. His nerves were making him feel on-edge, causing him to direct his feelings at the only person who could technically be regarded as the culprit for this less-than-ideal situation.

 

“I already told you! I had to umm… go to my parent’s house today… I’m umm…” Minhyuk himself was at a loss of what to say for some odd reason. “I’m at the train station right now!” Minhyuk shakily explained.

 

“AISHH, THEN REPLAN IT!” Ilhoon shouted in frustration. He initially agreed out of loyalty to Minhyuk, but going on a date with his best friend’s “soulmate”... who he may have uncharacteristically been fawning over the day before?! It didn’t take a rocket scientist to know that this had trouble written all over it.

 

“Eunji’s leaving for a trip, I told you that too! ILHOON-AH, YOU HAVE TO DO THIS FOR ME. THIS IS MY ONLY CHANCE!” Minhyuk pleaded with his little white lie, hoping that his best friend was soft-hearted enough to appeal to his plight. He had no idea whatsoever, of course, as to why Ilhoon wanted to backpedal on the plan all of a sudden.

 

“AHH FINE! BUT YOU OWE ME BIG-TIME, YOU HEAR ME?!” Ilhoon hung up the phone immediately, cursing himself for his own good nature.

 

‘You couldn’t at least have held out a little longer, couldn’t you pabo…?’ he chided himself as he ruffled his own hair messily.

 

Regardless, Jung Ilhoon was a lot of things, but every one of his buddies could attest to the fact that a “bad friend” was not one of them. If Minhyuk needed him to go on this date so badly, and Ilhoon agreed to it… then it was settled. He was going to do it… but Minhyuk was mistaken if he thought that Ilhoon wasn’t g

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter