Maybe?

Daydreams

Prompt: It’s come to Sungkyu’s attention that his friends don’t believe he’s straight. Even his ex-gf says she assumed he was bi-curious and wth is up with that?

(A/N: I played around with this a bit and here’s what I came up with. This probably wasn’t what you had in mind, but it’s what I got. haha)

Hoya was sitting on the couch, writing lyrics. It was one of the few quiet and peaceful moments in the apartment. Dongwoo was fast asleep. That boy seemed like an endless bundle of energy, until you lay him down. Then he’d go out like a light. Which was exactly what Hoya did. He laid Dongwoo down on his bed just so he could get a few moments of uninterrupted “Hoya” time. Which unfortunately was interrupted right now by the second biggest distraction in his life: Kim Sunggyu. Who by the look of his dumbfounded face was ready to demand much of Hoya’s attention.

“What is it?” Hoya asked, feigning concern. After all, Sunggyu was technically their leader so he demanded their respect.

“I…I think I just got dumped,” Sunggyu replied lifelessly as he slumped onto the couch.

Well, this is interesting. Hoya put down his notebook and turned towards the elder. “What do you mean ‘I think’? You either know or you don’t,” the rapper demanded.

“Well,” Sunggyu replied, avoiding Hoya’s eyes. “She said that I should explore my options and that we could have an open relationship and she wouldn’t mind at all.” He then glanced over to the rapper who was holding his mouth agape and his eyes wide. Sunggyu’s throat tightened. The next admission clung to his throat. He wanted to get it out because it hurt him, but…it was hard. Hoya will understand. Sunggyu confessed quickly, like ripping off a bandaid, “She thinks that I’m attracted guys too.” He cleared his throat and looked away, stretching his arms behind him. “So, yea, that started a fight and I may have technically been the one to break it off, but she started it.”

Nothing. Silence. Which was strange coming from Hoya who loved nothing more than to slice Sunggyu apart with his sharp tongue. Curious, Sunggyu turned his head to face the other, only to see Hoya trying his best to hold back laughter, his cheeks threatening to burst. And then it all poured forth.

“Hyung,” Hoya squeaked through his roaring laughter. “You…she thinks you’re gay!”

Sunggyu frowned and crossed his arms. “Yes, yes,” he admitted. “My life is a joke.”

Then the laughter stopped. Hoya straightened himself up. “Well are you?” he asked in all seriousness.

Sunggyu rolled his eyes. “What do you think?”

“I asked you first,” Hoya quickly retorted. It was best to be careful in this situation. It was delicate, and Sunggyu has a quick and violent temper. It could easily go wrong so fast.

“No,” Sunggyu replied. Then he cocked his head. “At least I don’t think so.” And with that, Sunggyu felt something bubbling at the pit of his stomach. It was hard to contain, and it was going to spill over soon. But what was it? Anger? Curiosity? Embarrassment? Whatever it was, it found it’s way out. “I mean, it’s not like I’m Lee Sungjong!”

“Sungjong is straight,” Hoya combated with a quirk of his eyebrow.

Sunggyu waved his hand. “That’s not what I meant,” he fought back. “I’m man!” He looked over at Hoya, and the rapper’s threatening eyebrow did not go down. “I mean, not that Sungjong is a girl. I just have more masculine qualities than he does.”

Hoya shrugged. “That’s debatable.”

Sunggyu sighed. He should really be having this conversation with Dongwoo or Myungsoo. Someone who wouldn’t make him feel worse than he already did. But… “But you know how I feel,” Sunggyu began. “Didn’t you feel the same way when people assumed that of you?”

Finally, Hoya agreed. “Yea, I think it was weird. But it was because of a role and I’m just too good of an actor,” he coolly praised himself. Sunggyu rolled his eyes again, but that didn’t stop the rapper from continuing, “Many people assume idols are gay for several reasons. Like Lee Hongki for his nail art and Kim Heechul because…”

“He’s Kim Heechul,” Sunggyu filled in with a slight chuckle.

“Kwanghee too,” Hoya added. He then put his finger to his lips in thought as he stared carefully at his leader. “I wonder what it is for you,” he thought aloud.

Sunggyu shifted, feeling uncomfortable under the other’s gaze. “I, uh, couldn’t tell you,” he responded.

“Do you think it’s…”

“Hey guys! I’m here! Did you miss me?” a voice boomed from the doorway. Sunggyu let out a deep breath of relief. He really didn’t want to hear Hoya’s hypothesis. This conversation only really gave Hoya opportunities for him to insult Sunggyu. And who just walked through the door, might finally give him the comfort he needed.

Sunggyu jumped off from the couch, leaving behind the pondering rapper, and walked over to the doorway. “You didn’t even give me a chance to miss you, Woohyun,” Sunggyu said as he leaned against the wall. “I just saw you this morning.”

“Yea, give us at least a month,” Hoya piped up, still on the couch.

Woohyun just chuckled and gave his usual grin as he pushed his way past Sunggyu into the kitchen. “Fine, I’ll just pick up some kimchi and run back. We ran out,” he explained as he dug through the fridge.

“Is that the only reason why you came here? To raid our fridge?” Sunggyu asked in mock shock, like this didn’t happen every other day. “I’m hurt.”

Woohyun pulled back out of the fridge, not with kimchi in his hand but one of Sunggyu’s expensive vitamin drinks. He twisted off the cap as he responded, “Of course, I’m here for hyung too.” He took a swig from the drink and dove back in.

“Right,” Sunggyu didn’t seem convinced. “Whatever.”

“Ah! That’s right!” Woohyun exclaimed as he pulled back out. This time he closed the door, nothing new in his hands. “You’re supposed to be on a date. What happened?”

Sunggyu sighed and replied, “We broke up.” Immediately after confessing that, he felt arms wrap around his shoulders, bringing him into a warm and tight embrace. There it was. The comfort he was looking for.

“I’m sorry, hyung,” Woohyun spoke lowly, giving the other a squeeze before letting go. “Is there no way it would work out?”

“You know how petty Sunggyu can be,” Hoya spoke from the couch again. The two vocals turned to see the rapper facing them with pen and paper in hand. “Once he’s broken up with them, it’s over.”

“That’s because I’m a cool guy,” Sunggyu retorted.

“Hey cool guy, tell Woohyun why you broke up,” Hoya suggested. Sunggyu glared at the rapper, biting back some choice words. He had a feeling telling Hoya first was a bad decision.

“What? Why?” Woohyun asked. He sounded honestly worried now. Better come clean or he’ll start guessing too, and I really don’t want to hear that.

“Because she think’s I’m attracted to men too,” Sunggyu blurted out so quickly that some of the words slurred together, but Woohyun still understood.

And laughed. “Hyung, why didn’t you tell me that you liked men?” he teased.

“Because I don’t!” Sunggyu shouted back.

Then Woohyun gasped. “Then you don’t like me?”

Sunggyu chuckled a bit at the other’s aghast expression. “Of course I do,” he answered back. Then he tore the now empty bottle from Woohyun’s grip. “But you only like me for my drinks. This was expensive. You owe me.”

Woohyun chuckled, having been caught. “But they’re delicious,” he excused himself. “And don’t you want me to be healthy? Oh! And if you really want to bring up owing somebody…” Woohyun let that hang in the air for a second.

Sunggyu immediately wrapped his arms around Woohyun and hugged him quickly while apologizing. “Okay okay okay! You don’t owe me anything. I’m sorry.”

“Next time you want someone to apply cream there, ask Dongwoo. I’m not doing it,” Woohyun defiantly declared.

“What? Cream where?” Hoya asked.

“Forget it!” Sunggyu barked back. “It was a one time thing. Stupid India…too many bugs,” he grumbled.

“And I’m still upset from the other day,” Woohyun said, folding his arms across his chest (but even though he was pretending to be upset, there was still a slight smile on his face. Play fighting brought both vocalists such joy).

Sunggyu sputtered into a slight laugh, “Really?”

Woohyun turned to face Hoya who was on the couch and pointed to Sunggyu. “Speaking about being gay, Sunggyu said that he would do it if it would finally land him a decent role, like it did for you,” Woohyun spoke as if it was the worst.

Hoya cocked an eyebrow. “And that’s bad because?”

“Hyung would be gay for a role but not for me,” Woohyun sadly answered.

Sunggyu rolled his eyes and gave Woohyun a shove. “Yah! You’re just upset because every time we’re asked ‘which of the members would you date?’ I never pick you. BUT you never pick me either! I should be upset too! Why don’t you pick me?” Sunggyu turned the question around.

I’m out of your league,” Woohyun stated putting a hand over his heart.

“Please,” Sunggyu said with a scoff. “You don’t deserve me! I make more money than you!”

“If only if that could buy you a better personality and bigger heart,” Woohyun teased.

“Yah!” Sunggyu yelled while lunging at the other. He put Woohyun into a headlock. “What’s wrong with my personality, huh? I’m a very kind and caring person,” he argued as he tightened his hold on the younger.

“Right,” Woohyun gasped, tapping Sunggyu’s arm as a signal to let go. “Hyung is the best.”

“That’s right,” Sunggyu said, finally releasing him. 

“Yea, hyung is the best…at being the worst,” Woohyun retorted, sticking out his tongue.

“YAH!”

“Oh,” Hoya said as if he understood all about life and it’s mysteries. The two faced the rapper who was nodding to himself, on the couch (who had been forgotten up until now). 

“I think I know now where your girlfriend got it from.”

Sunggyu stared at him blankly. “Uh, got what?”

(A/N: This is largely based on everyday conversations that I have with my friend, Paesch. People assume the same of us as well. But you know what they say: when you assume something, it makes an “” out of “u” and “me.”)