The Office

Daydreams

Prompt: Woogyu are coworkers but their relationship is a secret. It's Sunggyu's birthday, and Woohyun makes him a boxed lunch with a heart in it (A/N: unlike these other prompts, I never posted this on AO3).

One day a year, it was Kim Sunggyu’s birthday, which meant one day a year Sunggyu wanted the world to revolve around him. And he made it impossible to forget. He’d start talking about it an entire month in advanced. Woohyun wondered whether the man thought he was forgetful or Sunggyu was just that excited to turn another year older. But this birthday was going to be slightly different from the rest. It was the first that the two of them would celebrate as a couple. It wasn’t the first they’ve celebrated though. Before they were a couple, they were friends, and before that, they were coworkers at a small paper company.

It was a well known fact throughout the office that the two were close, but they had no idea how close. They agreed to keep the relationship a secret. Although one wasn’t subordinated to another and they were in different areas, Woohyun was in customer services and Sunggyu was in Human Resources. Because of Sunggyu’s position, they agreed to keep the relationship under lock and key. They didn’t want their coworkers to think that Sunggyu was being lenient with Woohyun whenever he broke company policy, which was often (some of their coworkers were just begging to be pranked, especially that noisy one Lee Sungyeol). And trust Woohyun, whenever the younger messed up, Sunggyu would be the first to bark at him. But Woohyun was used to it by now, Sunggyu’s angry shouts, nagging, and disappointed faces. They didn’t faze him one bit, especially after he learned that he could twist his hyung’s mood 180 degrees with a silly phrase or glancing touch.

But if Woohyun messed up today, he’d pay for it dearly. So he wasn’t planning on it, but things happened.

He had planned on making Sunggyu breakfast in the morning with the traditional seaweed soup and all of that good stuff (with sweet kisses as a side dish). But after putting in Sunggyu’s passcode and opening the apartment’s door, he realized that his boyfriend wasn’t there. He wasn’t in the kitchen, in the bathroom, or in or under his bed. Sunggyu was gone.

“Where are you?” Woohyun asked, calling up the other on the phone.

“You don’t remember?” Sunggyu sounded irritated, probably because he had to wake up early on his special day. “I have to go to the main office for a meeting, but I’ll be back in the afternoon, so you could take me out to lunch.”

Woohyun chuckled as he the stove, “Who said that I was taking you out to lunch?”

“B-but it’s my birthday,” Sunggyu whined through a yawn.

“I planned on making you something today, so I’ll just bring it in, and you can have it for lunch,” Woohyun said and went over to the rice maker to turn that on too.

“Hyun-ah, I don’t want that. I want real food,” Sunggyu argued.

Woohyun suddenly stopped moving. “What do you mean real food?”

“Delicious food,” Sunggyu explained.

Woohyun sighed, biting his tongue and holding his tongue because it was his boyfriend’s birthday. He’ll cuss Sunggyu out tomorrow. “My food is delicious too. You’ll see,” he fought back in the gentlest voice that he could muster.

“I’m here. I’ll see you later. Buy me lunch,” Sunggyu quickly added before hanging up the phone.

Woohyun looked around the kitchen. An evil laugh slipped through his smiling lips. He’ll give his boyfriend lunch, alright. A delicious and unforgettable one.

<><><> 

To Woohyunnie: I’m here. Let’s go.

To Gyu-hyung: Go where? I put your lunch in the fridge.

<><><> 

Woohyun could hear the hurried footsteps before the panicked voice. “You didn’t.” Sunggyu appeared at the entrance of Woohyun’s cubicle.

“You’re welcome,” Woohyun replied distractedly, finishing up an email. After he sent it, he swung his desk chair around to face Sunggyu. “I have to work through lunch,” he revealed. That was the reason why he wanted to cook the other breakfast that morning. Little did the both of them know that their schedules conflicted. The elder’s face fell. Woohyun rolled closer to him, grabbing the other’s hand. “We can still have dinner together,” he said lowly.

Sunggyu quickly shook off the other and looked around. No one had seen them. “Okay,” he gave in. “It better be good. If you put something weird in it…”

“I didn’t,” Woohyun was too quick to deny. Sunggyu glared at him curiously. “I promise.”

“Alright,” Sunggyu said as he left the cubicle, still watching the other carefully.

“Don’t you trust me?” Woohyun called out to him.

“No!”

Woohyun laughed. Not trusting him was a pretty good idea.

<><><> 

Sunggyu was sitting in the break room with the boxed lunch right in front of him. Half of him expected to be filled with gochujang and rice. Carefully, he unscrewed the cap from the top of the thermos. It looked like seaweed soup. He sniffed it. It smelled like seaweed soup. Slowly he brought it to his lips and drank a small bit. Dang, it actually was seaweed soup, and not a bad tasting one either. With a smile on his face, he began opening the rest of the Tupperware.

“What’s that?” Sungyeol had walked into the break room and sat across from Sunggyu. Sungyeol scrunched his nose. “It looks like a boxed lunch. But you don’t cook. Are you dating?” he asked.

“No,” Sunggyu denied as a reflex. “And I could always start cooking.” He peeled off the last lid…and then immediately put it back on. He looked up at Sungyeol in a panic, hoping that his coworker hadn’t seen. But he wasn’t so lucky.

“Not dating, my ,” Sungyeol teased, leaning over and tearing off the lid. “That! You surely didn’t do that,” he claimed pointing at the heart made out of peas carefully placed on top of the rice. “Wah!” Sungyeol exclaimed throwing the lid at Sunggyu’s chest. “Kim Sunggyu is dating. It’s weird.” Sungyeol leaned over the table, watching Sunggyu pick off the peas and flick them towards the trashcan. “So what is she like?”

“Annoying,” Sunggyu grumbled.

“Don’t say that. She seems cute…and a good cook,” Sungyeol commented. Sunggyu looked up from the rice to see his coworker drinking from his thermos.

“Yah! That’s mine!” Sunggyu yelled, taking his soup back.

“I’m jealous,” Sungyeol admitted. “Your girlfriend worked hard on this, made it with love, and you’re not even appreciative. Maybe I should date her instead.”

A crackling laughter could be heard from outside. Sungyeol’s eyes widened, scheming. “Oh, Woohyun’s here. I bet he would know,” he said, getting up from his chair and heading out of the break room.

“Sungyeol-ah! Don’t…!” Sunggyu cursed as chased out after his coworker, but then he ran back into the room to grab the box before he left again.

“You and Sunggyu-ssi hang out. Have you met who he was dating?” Sungyeol asked once Sunggyu approached the cubicle. The elder looked at his boyfriend with wide-eyes, shaking his head.

Woohyun grinned mischievously, causing the other to sweat. “Yes,” he replied.

“What does she look like?” Sungyeol asked.

“Smart. Funny. Cute. Definitely better looking than hyung,” Woohyun answered.

“That’s arguable,” Sunggyu retorted.

Sungyeol shook his head. “No, that makes sense. And you should be proud, Sunggyu-ssi. Sounds like you’re going out with a hottie,” he said. Woohyun began laughing uncontrollably.

Sunggyu narrowed his eyes onto his ‘loving’ boyfriend. “She might be good-looking, but she’s really annoying. I might break up with her soon if she keeps this up,” Sunggyu threatened. Woohyun stopped laughing.

“You wouldn’t,” Woohyun’s voice sounded unsure.

“You shouldn’t,” Sungyeol cut in, taking out an egg roll from Sunggyu’s box and putting it into his mouth. He patted his coworker’s shoulder. “You’re a lucky man. She seems to love you a lot. It looks like even Nam Woohyun is jealous.” And with that (and taking another slice from the egg roll), Sungyeol left the cubicle.

Sunggyu just looked down at box, the food picked apart. The noise of Woohyun’s pen clicking filled the air. “Yea, I guess he loves me a lot,” Sunggyu finally spoke.

“I do,” Woohyun admitted, scooting closer to the other again.

Sunggyu leaned down and pecked Woohyun on the forehead. “I love you too. Thank you,” the elder spoke after pulling away.

“You’re welcome. Now get out of here. I have to work,” Woohyun said, turning the other around and pushing him out of the cubicle. “Happy Birthday,” he wished his boyfriend, hitting him playfully on the before scooting back to his desk.

Sunggyu grinned to himself and began to walk back into the break room. He stopped dead in his tracks. Sungyeol was right in front of him, completely bewildered. His coworker had seen everything.

“I just wanted to ask a question but I, uh—“ Sungyeol stammered.

“Sungyeol, what you just saw was, uh…” Great, now Sunggyu was a stuttering mess.

“I’m not jealous! I know I said that I was…before, but I’m not…now,” Sungyeol blurted out. His face then softened. “But I won’t tell anybody. Think of it as a birthday gift,” he offered in a loud whisper and then walked away, laughing to himself.

Sunggyu quickly whipped his head around, back to the cubicle that he just left. He saw his boyfriend’s small head peek around the edge of the wall. Woohyun smiled apologetically. “I love you,” he said as an apology.

“And I love beef,” Sunggyu retorted as he left.

“Duly noted,” Woohyun answered with a sigh. He should’ve know that he’d literally pay for this later on. But it was well worth it. It was the first time either of them said “I love you.” Woohyun guessed that he received a present today too.