thirteen

A Girl's Grudge

 

Karina’s POV

 

Ningning and I managed to race past the late students, beating them to class. We were panting heavily, but we did our best to hold in our breath when we took our seats. The teacher raised his brow at the students that came much later than us. I laughed on the inside at their faces when the teacher told them to wait outside. I looked to where Ningning was and she caught my eye. She gave me a thumbs up, I returned the gesture.

 

“Okay, class!” Our teacher got our attention. “I would like all of you to listen and be respectful to your new classmate’s introduction.” 

 

He told Taemin to come in and introduce himself. Taemin wore his usual smile when he walked to the front of the class. I felt my spirits rise, I think that things will be better with him around. I sat up straight, eager for him to introduce himself, although I already know him. I wasn’t the only one who was interested in his introduction, a lot of the girls were whispering to one another and some guys too. I kept catching the word: ‘handsome’ being thrown around.

 

“Good morning everyone!” He greeted us cheerfully. “I’m Taemin, it’s nice to meet you all.” He bowed deeply at the end of his quick introduction.

 

“Straight to the point,” The teacher looked at him. “I like your style.” He gave Taemin the thumbs up of approval.

 

I suppressed a giggle, the teacher and the whole class seemed to be enchanted by him. The teacher told him to take the empty desk next to me. Taemin sat down, then placed his stuff on the desk next to mine. We grinned at one another before turning our gaze to the whiteboard.

 

Recess arrived sooner than I had anticipated. Taemin, Ningning and I headed out of class together to find the others. While we were heading to the other’s classroom, Ningning asked Taemin some questions.

 

“How did you meet Karina and Winter in middle school?” Her eyes were wide with curiosity.

 

Taemin hummed for a second, thinking of a proper way to respond. His eyes were distant and he said:

 

“I actually met them earlier.” He answered casually.

 

Ningning was waiting for more of an explanation, I stayed quiet as he explained.

 

“It was in Primary school. I was actually friends with Winter first. She was quite funny when you got her to open up.” Taemin flashed a smile at the memories. “ Winter and Karina were so close, that it was only natural that I met Karina not long after.” Taemin stayed silent for a moment before saying: “Those were the days.”

 

“You must have been very popular back then too.” Ningning observed. “You’re popular even now.”

 

I bit my lip and looked at Taemin with some concern. Ningning doesn’t know what happened in the past to Taemin, I can’t scold her for not knowing. Taemin smiled with a distant look in his eyes. 

 

“I wasn’t actually.” He admitted with a laugh. “I was bullied, believe it or not.”

 

Ningning stopped in her tracks and started to apologize nonstop until Taemin reassured her that he had back up. Ningning asked what he meant, he then explained.

 

“I had a good friend by my side.” Taemin’s eyes flashed towards me, giving me a knowing look. “He would get into fights with the bullies because he wanted to protect me.” Taemin’s smile never faded when telling the story. I wonder if it was rehearsed.

 

“Wow, he sounds amazing!” Ningning said with admiration. “So brave too. Imagine having a good friend like that.” She caught my gaze and her eyes brightened up. “Oh, wait! I do have one like that!” She smiled and laughed.

 

I shook my head, trying to hide my amusement.

 

“What’s he doing these days?” Ningning turned to look at Taemin again, eager to know.

 

Taemin smiled at her with a sad smile only I could detect the sadness. I was about to step in, but he caught my gaze and fixed his smile. I don’t know how he’s going to tell Ningning that the person he’s talking about is actually Kai.

 

“He became the thing he tried to protect me from - a bully.” Ningning’s smile fell when Taemin said that. “He stooped to their level in order to protect me, I think it took its toll on him.”

 

There was silence, aside from the students walking past us in their own deep conversations. I looked at Taemin with a look of remorse. I didn’t know that Kai had done that much for Taemin, but I was young at the time. I saw Ningning recover and say with determination:

 

“You have to help him! He’s your friend after all.”

 

I blinked rapidly and looked at Taemin’s reaction. He stopped smiling, but he looked more so surprised. He eventually recovered and looked at her with soft eyes.

 

“I’ll do my best!” He laughed hard.

 

Taemin wiped the corner of his eye after laughing, I think he laughed to give him an excuse to tear up a bit.

 

We made our way to our friends class and saw Winter and Giselle waiting outside the room. Their faces lit up as they saw us heading towards them.

 

“Let’s go eat!” Ningning held up her lunchbox.

 

We headed to the cafeteria and sat at a vacant table. Taemin sat in between Giselle and Ningning. He was currently being bombarded with many questions that it didn’t really give him the change to bite into his food. He settled for drinking juice instead.

 

Winter and I watched him get ganged up on by those two with amusement in our eyes. When they asked an odd question Taemin nearly choked on his juice somehow. I laughed into my hand. I looked at Winter to see her smiling at me. The sunlight shone behind her, making it look like she was glowing. I never took the time to closely admire my friend. Now that I am sitting close enough to her again, she looks pretty. Winter said something, but I didn’t hear her since I was just looking at her nice features.

 

“Pardon?” I asked out of confusion.

 

Winter giggled and repeated her question.

 

“I said: do you think we should help Taemin?” Her eyes flickered towards those three on the other side of the table.

 

I looked and saw that Taemin was like the rope in a game of tug of war. I wasn’t paying attention until Winter pointed it out. I tried catching what they were saying, to summarise what I heard - they’re trying to ‘convince’ Taemin to either go to cooking with Ningning or art with Giselle.

 

“Should we help him?” She whispered to me.

 

I smirked and looked at her while shaking my head. She laughed at my response. I haven’t seen her laugh in a while, but then again - I haven’t given her any reason to. I took a moment to memorise that smile and laugh of hers. It’s:

 

“Cute.” I blurted that outloud.

 

Winter froze, she blinked a few times and asked me to repeat what I just said.

 

“Fruit.” I pointed at her fruit in front of her. “Eat your fruit.”

 

I watched as she tilted her head and looked at me seemingly uncertain.

 

“I said fruit.” I said when she was about to ask more on the matter.

 

I felt my face heating up and I didn’t want to believe her grin meant she actually heard me the first time.