eighteen

A Girl's Grudge

 

Winter’s POV

 

I am still processing what happened in the forest. I sat at the dining table in the food hall with the others. Ningning and Giselle were chatting away to each other, while Karina and I ate quietly. I saw two guys approach our table and I saw it was Taemin and Kai. Initially I tensed up because Kai used to cause a lot of trouble, but this time he looked down at me with a small smile. I returned it as Taemin spoke up.

 

“Got room for two more?” Taemin looked at the table space.

 

I moved over a bit and so did everyone else, creating space for the two guys in our group. Kai sat next to Giselle, while Taemin sat on the end of the table near Kai. 

 

Kai bowed his head to Giselle slightly and she blinked rapidly at the action. What surprised us all was that Kai opened his mouth and spoke Japanese to her.

 

“Nihongo ga hanasemasen.” He bowed with a smile playing on his lips.

 

Giselle’s face lit up for a split second before she translated what he said inside her head. She looked so excited before she realised what he said.

 

‘I don’t speak Japanese.’ Was what Kai said to her.

 

She narrowed her eyes on him, causing him to burst into a fit of laughter.

 

‘Some things never change.’ I laughed with Kai at Giselle’s reaction. ‘He’s still poking fun whenever the opportunity arises.’ I thought to myself.

 

Karina, Ningning and Taemin looked at the three of us with a confused look before giving up trying to figure out what happened. Ningning chatted to Taemin, while Giselle and Kai seemed to be getting along pretty well. I turned my head to see Karina smiling at everyone. 

 

“You’re right.” She whispered to me. “Everything does seem perfect.”

 

I followed her line of sight and agreed with her, because everyone was getting along pretty well. I ate my food and drank my drink to wash down the food. Karina finished her food before me and collected my empty plate. I was about to say I can take it myself, but she already got up to take it to the kitchen. I got up and followed her.

 

“Let me help.” I took a plate from her hand and rinsed it under the hot water.

 

She and I ended up scraping off food from plates and washing dishes together as other people just dumped their plates on the counter. We didn’t complain though, because we were with each other. We eventually stopped and made a quick escape when we got a break from the dishes.

 

We ended up walking to a field sprinkled with flowers. It’s beautiful and very calming this evening. The sun is setting and the sky is red.

 

My gaze drifted towards Karina who was taking in the view of the sky. The wind blew through her hair softly. She’s beautiful.

 

“Are you okay now?” Karina gave me a glance through the corner of her eye.

 

I nodded my head which made her look back to the sky.

 

“Things really have changed.” Karina mused.

 

I hummed a response and sighed.

 

“Do you think Kai will adjust to the group alright?” I asked her, even though I knew her answer.

 

“I’m sure he will be fine, he’s quite fun when you get to know him.” She looked down at the flowers. “If he doesn’t or if he needs help, I’m sure Taemin will know what to do.”

 

I followed her line of sight and looked at the flowers. There was no one talking for a period of time as we admired the flowers.

 

“I wish we could stay here.” Karina’s voice was quiet. “I’ve had good memories at this place so far.”

 

I looked at her small smile. I wonder what she’s thinking about. She reached out and held my hand. I instantly felt a bolt of electricity pass through me.

 

“Can I ask you something?” Karina made eye contact with me and faced me properly.

 

I swallowed my nerves and nodded my head.

 

“More so I want to tell you something.” She looked at the ground before looking back up to my eyes. “Why does it feel weird whenever we are like this?” She pointed to our linked hands. She brought them closer to her lips and placed my hand on her burning cheeks. “Is it normal?” Karina looked up at me with round eyes.

 

The heat on my hand that is touching her face is really warm. It took me a while to realise that she was blushing. She looks so innocent and the question she asked makes her seem really pure or like this may be the first time she’s experiencing this feeling.

 

“It’s not something that happens everyday, right?” She closed her eyes when I caressed her cheek with my thumb. “I’ve been trying to figure it out. I don’t understand why I have this weak feeling in my knees.” She chuckled to herself.

 

This feels so intimate and I feel my heart pounding in my chest. It feels like I’m finally awake from a long sleep.

 

“Winter?” Karina called out to me.
 

“Yes?” I noticed I spaced out.

 

She looked uncertain of something and took a step closer to get into my personal space.

 

“Can I…” She gulped before continuing. “Can I kiss you?” She asked with a small voice.

 

I felt my eyes widen and I shook it off so I could respond. She means on the cheek like before, so I nodded my head eagerly. Karina smiled and leaned in close to me. She looked nervous and that she was aiming wrong, I turned my head slightly so she could kiss my cheek. Only that when she turned my head to face her she continued to edge closer to my lips. I felt her hot breath on my lips and I opened my eyes wide. She slowly pressed her soft lips against mine, she relaxed and sighed into the kiss while I stayed frozen in place. She tilted her head to deepen the kiss and I finally closed my eyes to ease into it. I responded to it by moving my lips in time with hers. She broke the kiss to breathe and so did I.

 

It was my first kiss and it felt better than I would imagine it to be. She was gasping for air and she looked at me with a smile.

 

Karina’s POV

 

I feel like a void has been filled within me. I didn’t realise that I hadn’t been really living until now. Winter has brought me many fond memories and precious moments. I’m able to communicate now. Kai and Taemin are close again while Giselle and Ningning are always great supporters. As I stared into Winter’s eyes, I recalled moments in the past when I would gaze at her from a distance, that was before she confessed to me. She’s even more beautiful now.

 

“I really like you. Winter.” I said it with as much sincerity as I could.

 

I saw a smile on her face and she said she likes me too. She looked happy and I didn’t realise how much I wanted to see that bright smile of hers again.

 

In the beginning it started off as a grudge, but now it’s something else. Something genuine.

 

I feel like when we return from this camping trip, we can face anything together.

 

The end - for now.

 

 

 

Author's Note (Thank you all for reading all the way up to here. You all made my day and encouraged me to write this story to the end. It is the end now, but there will be better stories and content coming out in the future. I'm in the process of making a short comic based off of this. Wish me luck! I'll need it since I get distracted easily).