23: Reality Checks in a Reality Show

By Your Side: Adventures in I-LAND
Please log in to read the full chapter

Three things that happened after our debut.

The first thing is our new reality show. Only… the boys got one and we didn’t. This was a bit confusing at first. Was it because we were girls and they liked men only? Of course not. I’ve seen the looks on Bang Si-hyuk’s face. He seemed really happy that we girls debuted under HYBE Labels.

We were in one side of the lobby when Bang PD-nim (a nickname most call him) entered.

“So…” he said, “The staff agreed to have your reality show crossover with ENHYPEN’s!”

I tilted my head.

Aren’t we supposed to have a reality show of our own?

“So…” said Leila, “The girls and the boys are literally…‘sharing’ our shows? Isn’t that a bit…cringey? I mean for the fans.”

“Everything you say is ‘cringey’!” said Erika, “With that said, we will be happy to share our show with ENHYPEN.”

“Erika,” said Keira, “You do realize that we would have to be with the boys every second, right?”

“Yes?”

“And you do know that the boys would have to spend every single second with us, right?” said Isabelle.

“Yes, I do.” said Erika.

“And, for the million dollar question,” I said, “You also do realize that we are having to refrain from falling in love or getting intimate and even trying so hard not to get too close to the boys at all costs, right?”

“Isn’t that you?” asked Erika.

“Why?”

“Because we all know that Jake kissed you during our live show.” said Juliet.

My eyes bulged wide.

They what?!

“You WHAT?!”

“It’s true,” said Leila, “Bang Si-hyuk once said who would know that two idols could fall in love with each other just like that. Especially after a big amount of training.”

“Really?”

“Yup,” said Holly, “I’ve always had a feeling about you two. And the way he would cradle you in his arms.”

“The way he would cradle me? Like a baby?”

“You know,” chirped Holly, “He would give you love and soft affection. Nothing big. You like that, don’t you?”

I didn’t respond after that.

I started preparing for the first reality show episode a bit later. I thought of it as an exciting feet. Us girls were going to have a reality show…that was all about us! Only…did the agency even let us know we were going to have a show of our own?

It was while we were in the makeup room, when Yeo-rin called me. Which was pretty strange, since our manager doesn’t really call us unless we were resting or if we were just hanging out. But it made me feel so weird and confused and potentially suspicious too.

I answered:

“Hello?”

“Y/N, hi! I need to tell you something.”

“What is it?”

“Well…there is no easy way of saying this…but HYBE is canceling your reality show!”

I felt my heart drop. I knew that we were not going to have our own show and that we would have to guest star in the boys’ show.

Well, this is a fine how-do-you-do!

“What?! Why?! How could they do such a thing?!”

“Apparently, we had been getting complaints about the boys whining about the idea, saying that you guys aren’t ‘certified’ idols. Whatever that means.”

How could they do this?! I trusted them! And I even trusted Jake! They must be so jealous!

“But, how could they do this?! What is their reason of deciding on canceling our show?!”

“I wish I knew.

 

.

.

.

 

“They canceled our show, didn’t they?” said Hinata, agitated.

“Yup!” I said, crossing my arms.

“Well, now what do we do?” asked Maeve, “Namjoon was looking so forward to watching us on TV. And now we’ll never make it!”

“Something’s up,” I said, walking over to the other side of the sofa, “The first thing I noticed is that Yeo-rin never calls us when we are getting ready. And her tone of voice when she spoke to me, as if she was hesitant. Also, the suspicion I felt. Bang PD-nim would never cancel our show just like that.”

“That does seem a little suspicious,” said Jax, “In fact, I think it’s all coming together now.”

“And there are only seven guys that would somehow try to sabotage us,” said Lara, “Y/N. I think you should find out about Jake.”

“Why me?” I asked, “I wouldn’t dare sneak up on him like that.”

“But he’s your best friend,” said Holly, “And people that are the closest to you can sometimes hurt others the most. You’ve known Jake better than us. Just try and see what you can get out from him.”

I guess I had no other choice but to find out where this entire sudden cruelty was coming from. Even if it meant that it could have been coming from my best friend. But for some reason, I didn’t have the heart to snoop on him. It wasn’t me. And Jake knew that. But I had to do it. I had to know what the hell was going on!

It was in the green room. Jake was being interviewed for his part of his reality show. And he even had his violin with him.

“There were many things I did, back in Australia, where I’m from.” I heard Jake say, “I used to play a lot of soccer. Both in and out of school. My position is center attacking mid, or CAM, in short. And also, my favorite part about school were the subjects physics and mathematics. It’s been a while since I was in high school…but I will definitely manage my life as an idol.”

Hearing Jake’s voice made me swoon. I couldn’t snoop and creep up on a beautiful, soft, and fluffy boy like Jake. That would mean I would be a terrible best friend. But the girls said that he could be the reason our reality show was canceled. I couldn’t let them down. Could I?

Jake then pulled out his violin.

“I also used to play the violin as well, and I played it since I was really little and was involved in the school orchestra. My violin is a Stradivarius, made

Please log in to read the full chapter