5: Entry Test Trouble

By Your Side: Adventures in I-LAND
Please log in to read the full chapter

Everyone in the confined space looked at each other bewilderedly. And then, they looked at me. Only…they thought there was something different with me.

“Who is that?” they would mutter in a whisper.

I then lowered my head, covering my face.

I then heard a familiar voice, saying, “Y/N?”

I shot my head up, looking all around for the voice. Suddenly, I saw Jake sitting right in front of me.

“Jake?” I asked.

“Y/N,” said Jake, “What are you doing here?”

I could not explain why I was there in the first place.

“Well…I got lost and I didn’t know where I was going. So, I ended up here and my mum knows about this.”

“I-I’m sure your mum knows, but what are you doing here right now? I-LAND is for boys only.”

“I can’t get out! The gates wouldn’t open, the last time I tried. So it looks like you are stuck with a girl for the rest of this event.”

But then, the unknown voice said, “This is a unit test, but the voting shall be done by individuals. You may choose the performance order!”

“What does he mean by that?” I asked myself.

Jake, who had overheard my question, said, “We get to choose who gets to go first and we must vote by ourselves, basically.”

I looked to the other boys who seemed nervous and potentially terrified by what the ordeal was becoming. And I must say…it was for me as well.

At last, someone worked up the courage and went up on stage. His name? Choi Seon. How old was he? Twenty-two years. His strengths? Mandarin and English and composing songs. His song for the performance? Lullabye by GOT7.

I remembered that his moves were so stiff yet crisp, I could actually tell what song he was dancing along to.

When he ended the whole song and dance number, we all applauded. But I didn’t. For some reason, I might have to be the one to go up there at some point of this episode. But then again, I was still pretty nervous.

“Let the voting begin!” said the Voice of I-LAND (a nickname that I called when I was there).

Two more participants went up after that. And the more I watched them dance, the more nervous I was! Their dance was a lot more contemporary than the first one.

I did not know their names, and didn’t plan to until I was actually in I-LAND. But this was plenty of trouble I had to go through.

More dancers went up. And some were even better than the rest. And me…I was completely frozen. Frozen as a big block of ice!

And then, before anyone could say anything, I stood and walked up on stage, with a microphone in my hand. I could tell you this: I had never been on stage before. The final time I did something like this was for a school concert back in Ireland. But they did not have a stage. They had a bleecher for the children young and old to stand on.

I took a deep breath and turned around facing the other boys who looked at me with no expressions on their faces. They stared at my very soul. It frightened me. But it passed away once I began to speak.

“Hello…” I said, shyly.

Before I could say anything else, there was a deafening and screeching feedback from the microphone. Once it calmed down, I continued to talk.

“My name is…Y/N L/N. I come from Ireland. I’ve been to five cities in Ireland. I was first born in Cork. But then, due to financial problems, we moved to County Clare, in the countryside. It was beautiful, but then riots had then moved in, so we had to move to Cobh (Cove). There was a beautiful beach there and I wanted to live there. But our landlord kicked us out for no reason and we had to travel to the capital Dublin. And since then, we lived there when I was seven years old. But we then moved all the way to Kilkenny, where my daddy works as a financial entrepreneur. And we moved here to Korea when I was ten-years-old, dreaming of becoming a pop singer for some of my friends. Thank you and I hope you

Please log in to read the full chapter